New vs old vs generic George Foreman grill

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

riker1384

Assistant Cook
I used to have a George Foreman grill and I liked it. I was thinking of getting a new one. They have removable plates now, which is good, but no temperature control. Which is better? I read one review saying the standard size doesn't get hot enough, as hot as the "champ". Is it hot enough?

Also there are some copies from other companies. Are any of those good? I need one that costs $50-60 or less.

I think if you do a search, you will find another thread on here with this discussion--but I prefer the ease of the removable plates rather than temp control. I have one of each, neither are George Foreman. I love my cuisinart, it is very sturdy (its a panini press, but same concept). I have a less expensive hamilton beech with removable plates and no temp control. Also works just fine. Its a matter of preference.

One great thing someone put on here for clean up: unplug your machine after use and lay out a couple of wet papertowels over the grill. Close the lid and presto, a bit later, wipe off the majority of the gunk. The heat creates a steam that helps easily lift the gunk off of the nonremovable plates.

Good luck.

The George Foreman G5 is excellent. It comes with 5 different plates, the temperature is somewhat adjustable (low-medium-high) and you can order a 6th plate that makes omelettes, if you're really crazy about omlettes. Amazon.com has the best price I could find, and the shipping is free. I suggest that, if you want the omlette plate, order it with the grill. If you order it later, the shipping will kill you!

After using George Foreman grills for several years I decided to try a DeLonghi and much prefer the DeLonghi after using it.

The DeLonghi is great for steaks, something the GF never gave satisfactory results cooking.

The one I was thinking of getting was the GRP4P. The white one is actually $10 cheaper but I like the platinum. I could mabye spring $80 if the G5 is really much better somehow.

Amazon.com: George Foreman GRP4P Next Grilleration 4-Burger Grill with Removable Plates, Platinum: Kitchen & Housewares

The one I had was the GR30VT which is a little bigger, 100 sq in. For cleaning, I always wiped it with wet paper towels while it was turned on low.
eBay: George Foreman JUMBO Family Size Grill # GR30VT + BONUS (item 330115950885 end time Jul-01-07 14:34:08 PDT)

I see Delonghi "panini presses" and an "indoor grill" which isn't like the Foreman grill. What model did you like?

Last edited:
jpmcgrew said:
:) Has anyone made waffles on the G5? I did and it didnt seem to get hot enough for waffles.

I make waffles with mine all the time. If I can remember to spary the plates with cooking spray first, they come out great. You just need to learn to time them so you don't open the machine too soon. No waffles will ever pop out of a toaster at my house again.

As far a DeLonghi is concerned, I learned my lesson with two of their cofeemakers. Both sprung leaks, neither could be repaired after several visits to the "authorized repair facility." I will never buy anything DeLonghi again.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom