Our bread machine is no longer a "uni-tasker"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Katie H

Site Moderator
Staff member
I live in the Heartland of the United States
For all of its life, until today, our bread machine was a uni-tasker. All it ever did was make bread products. So...

Today I had planned to make cutout cookie dough to make some dinosaur cookies for our grandson as part of his birthday present. He'll be 6 on Sunday and eats and sleeps dinosaurs.

I had a bunch of irons in the fire this morning and really didn't want to squeeze in the task of mixing up the cookie dough. That's when the light bulb went on and I put all the ingredients into the bread machine, set the critter to DOUGH and while I was doing something else, my cookie dough was done without any help from me. I didn't time it, but it probably only took about 10 to 15 minutes. Yeah!

I think Alton Brown would be proud of me.:rolleyes:

For all of its life, until today, our bread machine was a uni-tasker. All it ever did was make bread products. So...

Today I had planned to make cutout cookie dough to make some dinosaur cookies for our grandson as part of his birthday present. He'll be 6 on Sunday and eats and sleeps dinosaurs.

I had a bunch of irons in the fire this morning and really didn't want to squeeze in the task of mixing up the cookie dough. That's when the light bulb went on and I put all the ingredients into the bread machine, set the critter to DOUGH and while I was doing something else, my cookie dough was done without any help from me. I didn't time it, but it probably only took about 10 to 15 minutes. Yeah!

Hmmm, maybe I shouldn’t get rid of my bread machine after all!

I used my old Zo to make meatloaf for my dad during a period of time when I had frozen shoulder. Mixed, and cooked in the pan. I continued to use it to knead any dough at all, including quite stiff doughs such as for puri and chapatti, whether or not I was going to be baking said dough in the machine.

Oddly, that particular machine couldn't BAKE bread to save its life, but it kneaded wonderfully well and the meat loaf came out fine every time. I eventually replaced it (with much trepidation) - and the new Zo bakes AND kneads.

Last edited:
I used my old Zo to make meatloaf for my dad during a period of time when I had frozen shoulder. Mixed, and cooked in the pan. I continued to use it to knead any dough at all, including quite stiff doughs such as for puri and chapatti, whether or not I was going to be baking said dough in the machine.

Oddly, that particular machine couldn't BAKE bread to save its life, but it kneaded wonderfully well and the meat loaf came out fine every time. I eventually replaced it (with much trepidation) - and the new Zo bakes AND kneads.
So are you saying you mix and cook meatloaf in your bread maker?

Bump

Bumping an old thread here, hope you feel it's worth it.

Long ago I was watching some TV show and this woman had a bunch of these odd little white boxes she was demoing. She was Donna Rathmell German a former Advertising Agency Exec who had taken maternity leave and was contacted by this Japanese marketing outfit to see if she would introduce Bread Machines into the USA. It was about a year and a half before any of these things even showed up in the stores where I live.

She has since written and proofed the recipes in a series of cook books titled: The Bread Machine Book 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. and so on. 6 is titled hand-shaped breads from the Dough Cycle. It runs in my mind that one of the books was just about Dough. But if you only have Bread Machine 1 you will be delighted with it. Her recipes are for small, medium, and large loafs and simple to follow.

While at the Library, I found several of her Bread Machine series.

Learning to use the Dough Cycle will step you up for making soft Pretzels, Bread Sticks, Bagels, French Baguettes, Pizza crust, Dinner Rolls, Pastry and so on.

So are you saying you mix and cook meatloaf in your bread maker?
I wanna know too.
A loaf of regular (not artisan) bread and meatloaf both bake at 350F, so I guess you can. Who knew?

GG, you're a lucky girl !

The first Bread Machine I ever saw that could make Jam from fruit was a
Zojirushi brand and that thing cost nearly as much as a new kitchen range at the time. I see them at Goodwill occasionally from $5 to $15 dollars.

Since you can make your own jam now, do you have any fruit trees where you live ? Or any places where you could get locally raised fruit with some real flavor in it ?

I made strawberry and cherry jams and cherry and blackberry chutneys last year using fruit from my local farmers market. Having the bread machine means I won't have to stir it constantly ;)

DH gave me a new bread machine for Christmas - it has a jam cycle! [emoji16] [emoji526] [emoji522] [emoji534]

I have an older West Bend bread maker with dual blades (model has been discontinued) that makes jam. I haven't tried it.

I have 2 questions. Doesn't the dough function heat the bread dough for the rise cycle? Can cookie dough be heated?

Hmmmmm, Next time I see one of those Zojirushi's I'm going to look at it a little closer.

What brand is yours GG ?

I have 2 questions. Doesn't the dough function heat the bread dough for the rise cycle? Can cookie dough be heated?

Yes, it does, although you can turn off the machine and remove the dough after it's finished mixing. I wouldn't let it heat the dough. I'd set a timer to remind myself to take the dough out to shape and bake the cookies.

Wow CC ! If the Elves at the north pole ever built anything like that, O'l Santa Claus would keep it for himself. That's quite an outfit for the price and with extended warranty available & free delivery too.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom