Oven quit while waiting for guest

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vilasman

Senior Cook
Last night, we were pulling together a rather succesful meal, Waiting on guest to arrive, had a sweet potato casserole in the oven, put a cookie sheet of BBQ chicken , that started in a crock pot in to cook through, and needed to warm some mac n cheese and a few other dishes while waiting on guest.

First turned off the oven and put mac n cheese in it to keep it warm.
The oven had been on at between 350 and 400 for 2 hrs at this point.
Then we get the phone call that they are maybe 1 hr away.
Hit 350 on the oven and put the sweet potatos in and the chicken.
Wait 20-30 mins. Both dishes are cool enough to easily handle with out oven mitts. Wait 10 more mins. nothing shakin.
Take the food out. Try to preheat oven. Guest are late. Nothin doin with the oven.
Hit broil ( turbo boost) put mac and cheese in. Scorches cheese, but more than edible. Hit Low broil and put stuffing in, then we figured that we made the sweet potato sufle too thick, we used a oval probably 3qt pyrex dish filled almost to the top, so she scoops a maybe one layer of it with the nuts and toppings into a 2 qt pyrex dish and starts nuking it to get it firm up. Which worked.

But what would you have done at 12 am on a satruday night. Guest ate at about 1 am. They were at a church thing that got out late.

First off, I would not invite guests over for dinner at that ungodly hour.

Sounds like you're a late-night entertainer, but I usually have guests over between 6pm to 7pm or so.

Second, I don't eat dinner that late, but I imagine that some people do. You'll have to get the oven fixed or replaced before you make your next late-night dinner. Well, I guess that you were eating kind of late anyway and things just went sour with the oven.

~Corey123.

I would use my gas grill (I think you said you don't have one) as an oven, although your solution was pretty good.

Guest were supposed to get here around 9 at the latest, but they were having all day event at the church and it ran late. On the flip side , these folks were in from texas and had to fly out this morning. The IHOP here closes at 11pm.
Couldnt let them starve.

vilasman said:
Guest were supposed to get here around 9 at the latest, but they were having all day event at the church and it ran late. On the flip side , these folks were in from texas and had to fly out this morning. The IHOP here closes at 11pm.
Couldnt let them starve.

Then you had a valid reason for the night dinner. Must have been a success after all, in spite of what you were forced to go though to pull it off!!

~Corey123.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom