Pasta Express

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cats

Senior Cook
Has anyone tried this latest item being heavily advertised on TV, called Pasta Express? It's a cylindar type container with a lid. They claim you can "cook" pasta, asparagus, etc. in it just by pouring boiling water into the container over the ingredients (no other heat source needed). It seems completely impossible to me that anything will cook by just pouring boiling water on top without any continuous heat source, like some pastas need to cook for about 12 min. The temperature of the boiling water would definitely reduce with poured over any inserted ingredient wouldn't it, so how could the food stuff continue to cook? I think it's such a fake and, unfortunately, inexperienced cooks may think it's a wonderful new invention and be taken in. Just aggravates me or, perhaps I'm wrong and someone on here has actually tried it and it does work as advertised. If you get a chance, let me know. Thanks.

I've seen it also. It's mainly being advertised on the Food Network.

I was going to order it, but instead, I ordered and got the Emerilware 8-qt. Stainless Steel Pasta Pot w/ Pasta insert from Cooking.com, which matches my Emerilware 10-pc. SS cookware set.

But I think the whole concept behind that is that you must let the pasta sit in the hot water for about the length of time that it would take to physically boil the pasta in a pot of boiling water.

~Corey123.

It seems like a complete waste of money to me. Pasta is not hard to make to begin with.

Im with GB on this. Pure Junk. If youre going to boil water just put the darn noodles in the thing youre boiling it in. Heck you STILL have to clean up the plastic tube. :huh: You are actually creating MORE steps with this thing. Plus, Im sure the plastic will be hot and since its tall there is a chance you could knock it over. I could go on..... MANY reasons why not to get this thing. Try putting it in the dishwasher. Or sticking your hand in there with a rag to wipe it out. Seriously. Imagine a restraunt using this thing. They would laugh. Oh! And you want to make sure the pasta is al dente. Try getting some gnotti from the bottom of the sucker to check if it done. :LOL:

According to the ad, it's supposed to be dishwasher safe.

And supposedly, you can also make pasta salad or put some veggies such as broccoli and some grated chease in it to make a reeady-made pasta dish.

That's also similar to the Pasta Pot, you know, that red pot with the perforated cover that locks onto the pot to drain the cooked pasta?

That was a chep piece of crap! The paint began to peel off and the Teflon coating inside also stated flaking & peeling! I threw it away in favor of the Emerilware Pasta Pot that I mentioned above.

But the Pasta Express might work for some, since there's no peeling paint or Teflon coating to deal with.

~Corey123.

Last edited:
Well, now we know where Chef Jimmy lives - Beal Street, Blues and BBQ! :rolleyes:

Corey - the Pasta Express and the Pasta Pot are nothing alike - except for the price. The Pasta Pot, while being cheap and not worth the money as for durability, works - the Pasta Express, well, doesn't.

Always willing to go for another opinion - check out what the Hartford Courant (Connecticut newspaper) had to say in their article, "Pasta Express Can Cook; It Just Can't Cook Pasta".

Corey123 said:
That's also similar to the Pasta Pot, you know, that red pot with the perforated cover that locks onto the pot to drain the cooked pasta?

That was a chep piece of crap!

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
My mother in law gave us that thing. Used, too. The paint isn't so bad on mine but the stupid lid is hard to both lock into place and (especially) unlock. I can't get my pasta out! You should see me jumping in place out of frustration trying to get to my food. I have to mess with a knife to open it again, burning myself in the process! I'm just not gonna use the lid anymore.

Pasta Express is part of the Axis of Evil and must be pounded into submission!!
11.gif

LOL! :-p

The Pasta Pot may work and cost the same, but it's flimily made and doesn't last long. And you know this.

That's about all that can be cooked in it besides vegetables, maybe. The pot can't be used for soups or stews because they will stick and burn badly.

I didn't say that they were alike, but ALMOST alike in that they are a part of a scam to make people THINK they might be getting something of great value.

Like I said in an earlier post, buy quality once or buy crap forever.

Yes biev, that WAS another blasted problem I had with that also. Like you said, the lid was hard to lock and hard to unlock! It's like either the pot or the lid has warped and got out of line, causing that to happen.

I love my Emerilware pasta pot much better than that piece of crap.

~Corey123.

Last edited:
Ok ... I'll admit to buying this little creation a few weeks ago. I'm an itinerate teacher and put on about 150+ miles a day visiting my little charges around Wisconsin and RARELY get a hot lunch. Being tired of cold stuff (sandwiches, pasta salad, etc...), I thought the express size would be perfect. I can put my pasta in in the morning and when I am leaving a school around lunch time, I pop into their staff room to nuc water for 3 minutes, dump it in and I'm on my way out the door. I can stop for 30 seconds, 6 minutes later to drain it besinde the road and I carry a little butter and parm in my cooler. Add it, shake, dump into a baggie (I don't carry bowls or even tupperware - you can't balance them well in your lap) and enjoy. So, long story short, the little one is great. And I know what you're saying ... if you can nuc water, why not something else that can be had for lunch but really, there are few things you can eat and drive at the same time. HotPockets are the only thing I've found and they get really old.

The big one ... that's another story. We tried it the night it arrived and it almost went through the kitchen window I was so peeved. Needless to say, that one is in the pantry but the little one has seen a few miles in the last few weeks.

Maybe I'm a sucker but I'm a sucker who finally gets to enjoy a hot lunch from time to time!

JMediger said:
Ok ... I'll admit to buying this little creation a few weeks ago. I'm an itinerate teacher and put on about 150+ miles a day visiting my little charges around Wisconsin and RARELY get a hot lunch. Being tired of cold stuff (sandwiches, pasta salad, etc...), I thought the express size would be perfect. I can put my pasta in in the morning and when I am leaving a school around lunch time, I pop into their staff room to nuc water for 3 minutes, dump it in and I'm on my way out the door. I can stop for 30 seconds, 6 minutes later to drain it besinde the road and I carry a little butter and parm in my cooler. Add it, shake, dump into a baggie (I don't carry bowls or even tupperware - you can't balance them well in your lap) and enjoy. So, long story short, the little one is great. And I know what you're saying ... if you can nuc water, why not something else that can be had for lunch but really, there are few things you can eat and drive at the same time. HotPockets are the only thing I've found and they get really old.

The big one ... that's another story. We tried it the night it arrived and it almost went through the kitchen window I was so peeved. Needless to say, that one is in the pantry but the little one has seen a few miles in the last few weeks.

Maybe I'm a sucker but I'm a sucker who finally gets to enjoy a hot lunch from time to time!

You do all that while driving?!

Isn't that rather dangerous to do?

if you've ever driven around wisconsin, there's little chance of hitting anything (except cows and hungry teachers i guess).

corey, what about the ka mixer you have mounted on your dash, huh?

well you know, I like to cook, really. I like to chop, to use neat cool heavy pans, big gas flames, ovens, grills, sharp knives etc. I love the smell of the cooking process etc. I like being creative in the kitchen.it's what I do. I am not interested in gadgets like the "magic bullet" (by the way, that's the name of a rectal bowel mover for paraplegics). I use my food processor and stand mixer for baking pretty much exclusively. Fine produce shouldn't be pulverized by high speed.

anyway good pasta deserves quarts of boiling salted water. not a tube that barbers might sterilize their combs in. lol

think I'll go resurrect my mince-o-matic 7

Corey123 said:
You do all that while driving?!

Isn't that rather dangerous to do?

For less experienced driver / eaters, it might be ... Just kidding!

But seriously, I add the water in the school (and add that handy wrapper because the sucker gets HOT!), drive for a bit, pull over and dump. Then, while still parked, I add the other stuff and shake, dump it into a baggie then start driving again.

I am in my car for about 4 hours during the day (not all at once - broken up for school stops) so have gotten really good at balancing food on my lap, eating with my right hand and driving with my left. I will admit to the occasional knee driving but not often. And Bucky is right - not much here and the roads are pretty straight in my area. The snow and ice can be tricky but that doesn't happen too often (where the roads are bad). Speaking of which ... I'm off!

Back
Top Bottom