Pasta makers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claire

Master Chef
Now, I must say, my husband was on the vanguard of making pasta at home. He loved it from day one, and we used to throw parties where pasta making was the entertainement and meal. Because of our lifestyle, we had to ditch all our pasta machines five years ago. I bought my husband a new one, and it was horrid. After three years of fighting with the thing, I threw it away a few weeks ago. It was so poorly milled that it shredded the pasta when we ran it though the rollers. Who has bought a pasta roller RECENTLY (I'm tired of buying products that were good ten years ago), what source did you use, etc. I really want to get this going again. Once upon a time we never bought pasta; always made our own. HELP!!

Atlas makes a quality machine. Mine is a hand me down from my parents, but I know friends who put forth the extra money and bought an Atlas in the past two years or so. The machine is just as sturdy and well made as the ones my parents bought 20 years ago or so. Jeez... 20 years ago seems like a long time ago, but it was 20 years ago that the Bears won the Super Bowl. Or is it 19 years ago.. '85 Bears. Hmmm... I remember it like it was yesterday.

One thing of note.... Make sure you run a few loaves of store bought bread dough through the rollers and cutters before you roll your first batch of pasta. There's always a ton of little metal shavings and flakes in the new pasta machine's moving parts.

I'm glad my machine is 20 years old. :)

Thanks. I think one machine we owned and loved was Atlas, and another was a different brand. The one that didn't work at all was Imperial or someting like that. I think another brand that worked started with an "M". Please, no one take this wrong. For most people buying one pasta maker will last you for eternity. I just had a very mobile lifestyle, and they are very heavy, so I've owned a few. The only one I hated was the Imperia. I want to buy one for Hubby for a present, so I'm asking for brand names and sources, so we can get back on the fresh pasta bandwagon!!!

Claire, Audeo ran a thread on this (or something like this) a month or two ago that you might find interesting or of use, that included pictures...

Might be worth your while in a quick search...

Lifter

Claire said:
Thanks. I think one machine we owned and loved was Atlas, and another was a different brand. The one that didn't work at all was Imperial or someting like that. I think another brand that worked started with an "M".

You're thinking of Marcato - Atlas and Marcato are the same company so its the same pasta maker. Do a google search on marcato pasta machine or atlas pasta machine and you'll get lots of on-line sources that carry it.

Claire, I bought a Ampia pasta machine over Ebay and I have to say it works great. It is the first one I have owned or used. Your right on saying home made pasta is great to make.

Amazon.com will have them in stock shortly - including a motorized version :) I use Amazon a lot - their cheap prices and free shipping on orders over $25 makes them ideal for purchases such as this.

Paint.

I have a Ronco Pasta maker I haven't used in a long time, mostly because it was hard to find a drying place for the pasta, with a bunch of cats I had at the time. I had used a clothes drying rack for drying pasta and you know.. cats thought the hanging pasta were playthings

Claire,
I have a Pasta Queen machine, made in Italy for Himark, item No 15-4150.
Bought it over 20 years ago, and it works just fine. The ex took it when we split, 9 yrs ago and I got it back 2 years ago when she stopped using it. I disassembled, cleaned and use it once a week, not a fancy machine but very reliable.

Back
Top Bottom