Pelican or Roto Slicer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tkellyd

Assistant Cook
Hello all:

I'm new to the forum with a question on slicer attachments. I've got a refurbished Hobart N-50 with a few new attachments. Recently I bought an old (but good!) metal Kitchenaid Roto-slicer after which I started reading about a Pelican attachment. It seems to me that they both do the same thing (or am I missing something?).

Can anyone shed some light on which is the better of the two, or the differences if any? Thanks for your help!

Best,

- T

Great question, and welcome, T :)

I don't have the answer, but I'm sure someone around here does.... (but at least this will pop your question back up to the top)

Hi! Welcome to DC. I also have an N50, and lucked into both a roto and a pelican. After some use, I sold the roto on ebay, and still use the pelican. Mine was sitting in a garage with all four disks and the pusher, and i like it...a lot. I also have a metal chute that clips onto the edge of the mixing bowl, so everything comes out the bottom of the pelican and into the bowl. Very neat. The pelican came with an adjustable slicing disk, fine and coarse shredding disks, and an ice crushing disk which pulps tomatoes beautifully. Beside the pelican part, there is a stright feed tube, great for pepperoni, carrots, summer sausage...anything that shape.
img_1289581_0_6060bb87660a0f31203ea09d9925c882.jpg

Hello gadzooks:

I just purchased the pelican from eBay. I like it more than the roto. With the roto I always ended up wearing whatever it was I was cutting. The pelican is a lot neater, but still leaves a lot to be desired. I do not have the chute, but after viewing your picture, I will buy it when it comes up for auction. Don't know why I didn't think of that trick!

Question: do you think that the chute will fit a flat-edged bowl, or do I need a rolled-edge bowl for it to work? Thanks for the reply! I've learned something today!

Best,

- T

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom