Possibly a stupid Microwave question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
The question is:
If something is cooked in a microwave for , lets say 10 minutes straight, will it cook the same way as if you cook it for the same 10 minutes, but stop it a few times, during that 10 minute time, to check if it is done ? Does it lose something by starting and stopping.

The cooking time overall is the same.
The microwave has a rotating platform , so not necessary to rotate.

Last edited:
Hmmmm.

If it's a "solid" object that you're not going to stir periodically, I don't think there will be much of a difference. Microwaves cook from the outside and the heat travels inwards by conduction. If you stop it periodically, I don't think you'd lose much.

If it's an item that can be stirred, it will heat through faster if it's stirred periodically.

I agree with Andy. In addition to cooking faster, stirring helps the food cook more evenly. I make regular rice in the microwave and stop to stir after 7 minutes (overall cooking time is 15 minutes). I've tried not stopping to stir there are always a few crunchy grains.

Last edited:
The question is:
If something is cooked in a microwave for , lets say 10 minutes straight, will it cook the same way as if you cook it for the same 10 minutes, but stop it a few times, during that 10 minute time, to check if it is done ? Does it lose something by starting and stopping.

The cooking time overall is the same.
The microwave has a rotating platform , so not necessary to rotate.
This is actually a pretty standard technique when cooking with a microwave (as opposed to heating or defrosting). Stopping to stir or to check for doneness are standard. Same process for melting chocolate and butter for a ganache.

Last edited:
What a stupid microwave question.:D

Okay, seriously, microwave ovens cook very unevenly. Stirring and resting are a good thing. From my experience, if you cook something for ten minutes straight, there is a good chance that some of it will be burn-your-mouth hot, and other parts may barely be warm. Actually, ten minutes in a microwave could leave you with something seriously overcooked. Ten minutes is a long time in a microwave oven.

CD

The only things I have ever cooked for 10 min on high in the MW are things I'm drying out, like EP. However, I often reheat things at longer periods of time (than the 1 1/2-2 min., that would heat them on high) on 30, 20, or 10% power, as this helps them heat more evenly, with less chance for hot spots. I also thaw things on 10% for longer - less chance for hot, cooked areas. I just put them in, and walk away and do something else - it doesn't matter to me that it takes that much longer, as it's still a short time, and easier than other methods.

Couple of things about microwaves....
1. The microwave primarily cooks by by “exciting” the atoms in the food with radio waves (originally called radar ovens). Depending on how dense the food is plays a big part on cooking time.
2. Heating is really uneven which is why most microwaves have turntables.
3. Once done, it is important to let food rest as some may be lava.

It’s ok to check and stir. In fact it’s preferred. Just heat something with a gravy in a microwave without stirring. Center will be cooler and outside edge will be cooked to the side of the container.

I don't recall anything I've ever really 'cooked' in the microwave. (Although I did try the microwaved poached egg in a cup thing, and it blew up and made a mess. :ermm:)

For reheating, I always use the 'start and pause' method, keeping in mind that microwaved food will continue to heat/cook.

I have a Dacor convection microwave. I believe it’s made by sharp. But one feature I use often in mixed mode... 10% or 30% microwave power plus convection temperature cooking. Works quite well.... cooks chicken in a lot less time.

I don't recall anything I've ever really 'cooked' in the microwave. (Although I did try the microwaved poached egg in a cup thing, and it blew up and made a mess. :ermm:)

For reheating, I always use the 'start and pause' method, keeping in mind that microwaved food will continue to heat/cook.

Oh yeah, I've had a few things "explode" in a microwave oven. I hate when that happens.

CD

The only thing I regularly cook in the microwave as opposed to heating is corn starch pudding. Works really well and no milk cooked onto the pan. I stir every 2 minutes until the tempered egg goes in and then it's more often.

What I was cooking yesterday was a spaghetti squash.
Usually I do it in the oven, but I often find that the part closest to the pan gets heated up quicker than the rest of it leaving some parts mushy and other parts too hard.

Ive done it in the microwave with better success, but the times vary with the size of the squash.

Obviously, one doesn't stir a spaghetti squash, but I would check every few minutes to see where I was .

I still ran into an inconsistency problem. Not as bad as the oven, but still not a sure technique to get the results I wanted ( this time, although other times it comes out perfect)

I dont like mushy, I prefer a little crips, almost like sauerkraut consistency. But often the consistency is not uniform

What I was cooking yesterday was a spaghetti squash.
Usually I do it in the oven, but I often find that the part closest to the pan gets heated up quicker than the rest of it leaving some parts mushy and other parts too hard.

Ive done it in the microwave with better success, but the times vary with the size of the squash.

Obviously, one doesn't stir a spaghetti squash, but I would check every few minutes to see where I was .

I still ran into an inconsistency problem. Not as bad as the oven, but still not a sure technique to get the results I wanted ( this time, although other times it comes out perfect)

I dont like mushy, I prefer a little crips, almost like sauerkraut consistency. But often the consistency is not uniform

I'm not sure about squash, but you definitely need to poke some holes in potatoes. BOOM! :ohmy::LOL:

You can't stir squash, but giving it some rest time during and at the end of the cook, should allow the heat to distribute through the squash. That rest time at the end is really important, IMO.

Anyway, that is what I would do.

CD

That's pretty much how I do spaghetti squash too - I cut them in half and put them halved side down on an oiled sheet pan and put them in the oven at 350 for maybe an hour. I guess you could call it steamed, since it cooks in it's own shell. I haven't had any trouble with the flesh cooking unevenly that way.

It's been a few years since I've had spaghetti squash. Now I'm craving one....shredded, tossed with butter, salt and pepper, and a little parm or romano. :yum:

What a stupid microwave question.:D

CD
LOL
Believe I've mentioned this before...

No such thing as a stupid question. However, there can be stupid answers.

I have never seen such tiny spaghetti squash before. Aren't they usually about 6" or more in diameter?

Taxy, I agree. I would love to be able to get squash that size. I really like squash but rarely have it due to their sizes.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom