Preheating a microwave convection oven?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Learning2Cook

Assistant Cook
Hello everybody!

Bear with me if I ask silly questions...I am new to the world of cooking as well as baking! :)

Anyway, here is my question:

My mum had this microwave convection for over 10 years I guess and used mainly to reheat food and to grill. I would love to know how to bake in it instead of going out and spending money on another oven.

Most of the dishes that I want to make asks for preheating the oven and I have absolutely no idea how to do it in the microwave.
Yes, I googled it a bit and found that microwaves do not need to be preheated but I guess they are referring to some old microwaves. I heard that the new microwave ovens start acting like conventional ovens when you choose a certain option.

In my microwave,there are 4 options to choose from:
1) Combination
2) Convection
3) Grill
4) Micro Power

In addition, it also give the option to choose the temperature, weight and time.

So I guess there is a way around and I would really appreciate it if someone could explain me.

Thanks for reading so far! :D

PS - Another little question I had was about substituting baking soda with baking powder. So my research tells me that for every teaspoon of baking soda, I should use 2-3 times more baking powder but what if my recipe calls for both baking soda and baking powder?

No microwave of any kind or age needs to be pre-heated.

A convection oven is is a regular oven with a fan to distribute heat more evenly. A convection oven should be pre-heated. There is no need to turn on the microwave function of a combo oven while pre-heating the convection oven.

Last edited:
Do you have a screen shot of the doc, so that those with no Google/google.doc account can see?

Without seeing the doc, I agree with Andy, 110%

Here you go!

PrincessFiona60, the brand name is Shivaki

Attachments

• microwave.jpg
    microwave.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 850
Thanks, though I am not sure that really helps solve anything, lol.

I am standing by Andy on this, as well as personal experience with having a combo micro/Convection "oven".

I logged out of my gmail account and I can read the PDF in the link I provided.

It gives complete instructions. It does mention using the microwave and convection or microwave and grill at the same time. I have never seen any recipes that do that.

Wow! I can understand your frustration. I have to give up searching, time for bed! Sorry, wish I could devote more time to this problem!

Thank you guys!

Each one of you guys have been very helpful.

Tattrat, I guess I will give this one a shot today and post updates here!

Thanks again! :D

I logged out of my gmail account and I can read the PDF in the link I provided.

It gives complete instructions. It does mention using the microwave and convection or microwave and grill at the same time. I have never seen any recipes that do that.

Yes you are right but the thing that was being implied was that its possible to do so.

I do play around with my microwave at time and I can assure you that you can do so with this kind of microwave :)

Plus there is this option where you can select whatever you are cooking, for instance, fresh vegetables or fish, and then select the weight. The microwave determines its cooking time and everything else on its own.

Ok, so here is what I did!

Before taking the big plunge, I decided to toast some sesame seed by the preheating method.

So I pressed the conventional button and chose 210 degree Celsius on the temperature scale. As soon as I pressed the start button, the light inside turned a deep orange and it displayed "Pre-Heat" on the little screen.

Even though I felt like smoke was coming out of it, I still allowed it to do its job and in less than 2 minutes, it beeped twice and displayed the temperature again. I put in the sesame seed and selected 4 minutes and pressed start.

After it was done, I opened the oven and it was super-hot! Like, my microwave has never been that hot! I checked on the sesame seed and saw that it toasted beautifully without browning or burning.

Next, I decided to bake a simple chocolate cake using the method above and I must say, it came out PERFECT! So smooth and heavenly! YUM!

Thank you guys! Now, I can do what I had always wanted to do - BAKE! :D

Back
Top Bottom