Presto Electric Potato Peeler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Corey123 said:
... I was going to post the link, but it seems that Presto has stopped making it. ...

No problem corey ... Google is our friend to finding several links for pictures and descriptions of the Presto Electric Potato Peeler.

There is also the Rotato Express Electric Potato (vegetable) Peeler and if you have a DeLonghi stand mixer you can get a 5 or 7 qt potato peeler attachment.

Corey123 said:
Actually, I think there IS a potato peeler that looks like the apple peeler. I think I've seen Emeril use one on his show.

There are a couple of different brands - here is just one: the Back To Basics Apple and Potato Peeler

Corey123 said:
... I ended up needing the manual peeler anyway because the machine does not get out the eyes. ...

Not even the professional models (costing over $1,000) do that! You can either peel 'em and cut the eyes out by hand - or peel away enough of the 'tater to get down below the level of the eyes ... what a waste of good potato flesh!

No problem corey ... Google is our friend to finding several links for pictures and descriptions of the Presto Electric Potato Peeler.

There is also the Rotato Express Electric Potato (vegetable) Peeler and if you have a DeLonghi stand mixer you can get a 5 or 7 qt potato peeler attachment.

There are a couple of different brands - here is just one: the Back To Basics Apple and Potato Peeler

Not even the professional models (costing over $1,000) do that! You can either peel 'em and cut the eyes out by hand - or peel away enough of the 'tater to get down below the level of the eyes ... what a waste of good potato flesh!

Oh. You found it! Haha!! Good job! Thanx!!:)

I think Emeril was using the wind-up one. He made carrot curls.

But I honestly don't think that this was worth the money. And I don't think that I can return it because it was on a clearance sale at Macy's.

Last edited:
Bloomin Onion maker anyone?? LOL. I used it maybe a couple of times and it has been sitting ever since, so I know how you feel Corey. I think most everyone on here has ended up with a gadget they regretted, in fact I think we had an entire thread devoted to em!

Yeah.

Even that piece-of-junk the Reynolds Handi-Vac Vacuum Sealer is junk!! Thought at first that it might be one of the best inventions to come along in years, but it's now not the case.

Yet I STILL have to buy another one because half of the fridge's freezer is filled with the bags, and I have to be able to re-vacuum seal the bags if they are not completely emptied so that the remaing food that's in them won't spoil.

These two items should have been better off being left where they are - on the store shelves!!:mad:

From now on, I'm NOT going to rush out and buy any more of these so-called modern kitchen conveniences unless it's something that I've tried and liked before!

One of the reasons that I don't watch any of those aggravating & annoying paid programs. That stuff is mostly junk!!

Paula Deen did her Blooming Onion with a chefs' knife and it came out just as good.

Corey123 said:
... From now on, I'm NOT going to rush out and buy any more of these so-called modern kitchen conveniences unless it's something that I've tried and liked before! ...

Humm ... got a call into my bookie in Vegas ... based on your past history, I'm waiting for the odds to see just how much I bet. :LOL:

Corey, I don't get you.

Corey, what you're saying is you have to buy another box of bags or a whole new handi-vac?

I too have to buy another box. But that's because I don't use the bags
effeciently. One reply poster says to wrap your goods in plastic wrap, then
handi-vac them. That may work or not work depending on the irregular shape of wrapping them first (air will still be trapped inside a saran wrap "pre-wrap" before handi-vac.

However, this all being true or not true, this device is not a piece of junk.

While Reynolds says the handi-vac bags aren't meant for refrigerator storage,
I find that it's immensly valuable using them as such. Even more so than for freezing.

If you use the handi-vac qt. bags for things like freezing chicken or pork or beef that you'll eventually use over the next 4 -5 weeks, then, using the hand-vac isn't economical (price per bag wise).

However, I now find that I can handi-vac scallions, avocados, onions, cheese, celery, etc. and easily re-seal/vacuume them and they are so much easier than
Foodsaver (cutting them open and re-vacuuming them). Handi-Vac works like a champ in the fridge, despite what Reynolds says.

As for freezing? Dig this Corey. Buying 4 lbs of expensive fish market tiger shrimp.
It's a ****-uv-a lot easier and cheaper to slightly thaw this gotten slab of frozen devained tiger shrimp, put them 5-8 in a Handi-vac bag and store them for later in the freezer to go along with a steak, than it is to haul out the FoodSaver.

What I have to remember is this. Don't use the Handi-vac bags for shrinkwrapping short term freezer items you know you will use up in a month or so. Tight Saran wrap will do just as well.

With the newly better designed bags that don't leak, and that fact that they retain their vacuume for many produce items in the fridge....
And the easy to open and vacuume again, they rock.

FoodSaver is just left wondering..."how do we campaign against this product." We could crush tin cans with our product, Reynolds sucks air out of bags just as well and is 100 times cheaper.

$3.99 after instant rebate for the Reynolds suction unit, and very reasonably priced bags.

Foodsaver just lost the market. Watch how many informercials you will see now about FoodSaver. Not many.

Last edited:
In a nutshell;

The vacuum bags in use can't be re-vacuum sealed without the machine if I open them and don't use the entire contents of the bags. The food will dry out and spoil.

If it's not a piece of junk, then why on earth did it stop working for me so prematurely - and with NEW batteries?

Last edited:
In a nutshell;

The vacuum bags in use can't be re-vacuum sealed without the machine if I open them and don't use the entire contents of the bags. The food will dry out and spoil.

If it's not a piece of junk, then why on earth did it stop working for me so prematurely - and with NEW batteries?

Corey..what foods? Dig this. Reynolds doesn't stand by using these bags for other than suck and freeze.

I've 3 times opened a previously shrink wrapped handi-vac bag of cut scallions and resealed them. Still now they are shrink wrapped.

Cheese. I've shrink wrapped a cut cheese block and opened it 3 times and shrunk wrap it back. No leakage.

In fact, Corey, besides storing for longer times (shrimp to go along with steak), my experiences for re using handi-vac bags for refridge are proving to surpass my expectations.

Scallions when re-sealed HOLD their vacuume. Same with cheese.

Reynolds didn't expect refrigerated vacumed bags to hold their seal for veggies. THEY DO FOR A SURPRISINGLY LONG TIME.

Not only do they hold their initial seal, but do so after opening and re-vacuuming.

I still don't understand what your gripe is. What foods are you referring to?

Shrink wraps and re-opens/reseals...re-vacumes a cheese slab and scallions and avocado.

Corey, not saying you are dumb, but either you got a bum unit or you don't know how to use this gadget.

This is from a long time FoodSaver user. Who needs that kinda commercial suction? It's all about the bag and the contents and the air being drawn out. Why have air drawn out to the point it crushes a soda can?

Overkill. FoodSaver can't explain that.

Last edited:
Corey..what foods? Dig this. Reynolds doesn't stand by using these bags for other than suck and freeze.

I've 3 times opened a previously shrink wrapped handi-vac bag of cut scallions and resealed them. Still now they are shrink wrapped.

Cheese. I've shrink wrapped a cut cheese block and opened it 3 times and shrunk wrap it back. No leakage.

In fact, Corey, besides storing for longer times (shrimp to go along with steak), my experiences for re using handi-vac bags for refridge are proving to surpass my expectations.

Scallions when re-sealed HOLD their vacuume. Same with cheese.

Reynolds didn't expect refrigerated vacumed bags to hold their seal for veggies. THEY DO FOR A SURPRISINGLY LONG TIME.

Not only do they hold their initial seal, but do so after opening and re-vacuuming.

I still don't understand what your gripe is. What foods are you referring to?

Shrink wraps and re-opens/reseals...re-vacumes a cheese slab and scallions and avocado.

Corey, not saying you are dumb, but either you got a bum unit or you don't know how to use this gadget.

This is from a long time FoodSaver user. Who needs that kinda commercial suction? It's all about the bag and the contents and the air being drawn out. Why have air drawn out to the point it crushes a soda can?

Overkill. FoodSaver can't explain that.

1. The same foods that you'd put in the Food Saver bags.

2. That's good. It's supposed to do that.

3. That's good also.

4. I didn't suffer any problems with that either.

5. The problem wasn't with the food at all.

6. That's good, also.

7. Then why did it work faithfully for four months straight with no problems at all, then after that, suddenly go sour and not suck the air out at all?

8. I, also, am a long-time Food Saver user. Just bought the more advanced unit in February.

The two that I had in the past had broke down prematurely.
The heating strip was the culprit behind the bags losing their vacuum seals.
Then the strip had stopped working altogether.

But I think this one has many improvements over it predecessors. Improvements HAVE been made to it.

Last edited:
Bloomin Onion maker anyone??

I went for the Egg-stractor instead. ;) I have too may gadgets that I bought or was given as "cooking gifts" from well meaning friends and family.

I'm beginning to really appreciate Alton Brown's mantra - the only single-purpose item in your kitchen should be the fire extinguisher.

I'm beginning to really appreciate Alton Brown's mantra - the only single-purpose item in your kitchen should be the fire extinguisher.
Nah. If it's a CO2 fire extinguisher, you can also use it to chill the wine.

Eggstractor????
Is that the one that blows the air into the hard boiled egg, or the one that uses tap water?
I tried to buy the one that blows air into the egg a couple years ago and the sales tactics turned me off, so I didn't. Looked kinda nifty for the price, but they kept trying to sell me a bunch of other crap. I guess they figured one piece of crap wasn't enough :LOL:
At any rate, I hard boil fresh eggs all the time without any of the "tricks" and don't notice any noticeably harder to peel eggs....

BTW, I still use the Reynolds Handi-Vac I purchased last fall, too. Same batteries that came with it even :)

It was the one with air. You had to poke a hole in the end of the shell then put the egg in this accordion-like plastic thing. Should have known better, but it was 4.99 at the discount store. Those places are the worst for separating a person from their $$.

Gee, That was the one that looked like it worked so well on TV......
:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom