Reheating Bread Products in the Microwave

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bethzaring

Master Chef
I have seen many people state that you can't/shouldn't reheat bread products in the microwave. From my experience, that is not the case. I extensively use the microwave to reheat pizza, biscuits, pancakes, brownies:pig:, bagels, and any other bread product I have had in the freezer. The procedure I use is to sprinkle a few drops of water on the food (in the case of pizza, on the crust only), cover with a plate or other lid, reheat the product on medium level heat for a short period of time, and check frequently for how hot the food has gotten, usually by feeling the bottom of the plate the food is on. I can get bread products to be hot/warm, moist and just like the food came out of the oven fresh. If your bread products come out hard and inedible, you have used too high a heat level in the microwave and heated it for too long. I still generally do batch cooking and use my microwave daily to reheat all kinds of foods.

I just read the same thing here, too, Beth.
I've never had a problem reheating bread products in the nuker either. I thought the microwave was pretty much TNT for bringing stale bread back to life. And my morning cornbread this past week sure hasn't suffered.

I make my own bagels a dozen at a time and eat them three times a week. If I don't freeze them, this wouldn't work. So I wrap them individually in plastic wrap and freeze them. When I want a bagel, I pop one into the microwave (1100 watts) for 23 seconds. It comes out soft and warm. I then toast it. Works like a charm.

Hot dog rolls - I moisten a sheet of paper towel and squeeze out as much water as possible then wrap the bun(s) and nuke it for 25-30 seconds. They come out like a steamed roll and do not harden. Hardened bread is the result of overheating.

The same thing works for sliced bread. You just have to regulate the time in the microwave to avoid issues.

I prefer to reheat pizza in the toaster oven.

I prefer to reheat pizza in the toaster oven.

If I'm reheating pizza I put two appliances to use, the microwave to heat it and the toaster oven to crisp it back up.
But I really have to be opposed to eating it cold to do that ;)

i find that things with fat in them, like brownies or muffins, reheat better at the normally used higher power settings of a nuker.

for "dryer"things like bread, the prescribed spritz of water or wet paper towel works on medium.

we often reheat frozen bagels on medium with good results. but then the best bagels in the world are still pretty good even after freezing and nuking, no matter how bad you treat them.

leftover white rice also needs a spritz of water on the surface.

pizza is a different animal. for best results, i'm with andy. a toaster oven is the way to go. i've tried tjose microwave metal plate heater things, but by the time i find it, pre-heat it, and then nuke the pizza, i could have used the readily accessible toaster oven.
unless i'm impatient, which is often the case. then i just suck down soggy crust and am done with it. :pig:

Last edited:
Leftover pizza? It's sometimes left over? Who woulda thunk? I've heard a rumor, though, that it reheats best in the micro when put on a paper plate.

No problems nuking leftover bread, rolls, and bagels, but with pizza the crust tends to go limp. If you have the time and don't feel like pre-heating the oven, leftover pizza can be warmed in a frying pan on the stove top. The crust will come out crispy as can be.

No problems nuking leftover bread, rolls, and bagels, but with pizza the crust tends to go limp. If you have the time and don't feel like pre-heating the oven, leftover pizza can be warmed in a frying pan on the stove top. The crust will come out crispy as can be.

I use the frying pan method for pizza. I smear a little butter on the bottom and it gets toasted similar to a grilled cheese sandwich. Maybe we could steal a tip from Rocklobster and put two slices face to face for a pizza panini! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I don't enjoy bread heated in the microwave, mine always turns to cement as it cools.

I like to reheat Italian bread or rolls using a wet paper bag in a hot oven.
I preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Toss the bread in the paper bag and close it. Run the bag under the faucet, toss it in the oven and slam the door. In 5 to 8 minutes the bread is rejuvenated. You must keep an eye on it!

If I'm reheating pizza I put two appliances to use, the microwave to heat it and the toaster oven to crisp it back up.
But I really have to be opposed to eating it cold to do that ;)
:LOL:
I don't often bother reheating leftover pizza either. But when I do, I think an electric skillet works really well. I'm not overly fond of what the nuker does to the toppings.

I have to agree that one can reheat bread products cautiously in the MW with good results.

I use the frying pan method for pizza. I smear a little butter on the bottom and it gets toasted similar to a grilled cheese sandwich. Maybe we could steal a tip from Rocklobster and put two slices face to face for a pizza panini! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I don't enjoy bread heated in the microwave, mine always turns to cement as it cools.

I like to reheat Italian bread or rolls using a wet paper bag in a hot oven.
I preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Toss the bread in the paper bag and close it. Run the bag under the faucet, toss it in the oven and slam the door. In 5 to 8 minutes the bread is rejuvenated. You must keep an eye on it!

I like bread reheated in the oven also. I use the same system you do. I comes out like warm fresh baked bread. Butter just melts right into it. Reheated biscuits in the morning with a cup of tea is just perfect. :angel:

I warm bread often in the microwave and use both the microwave and a skillet for pizza. A quick zap, then slide the pizza into a skillet to re-crisp the crust. It's OK to combine appliances in your own kitchen since the cook is the boss.

I think there are some people who strongly believe that microwaves are bad Period, bad for anything and everything.

P.S. I too use it to warm up bread.

I have seen many people state that you can't/shouldn't reheat bread products in the microwave. From my experience, that is not the case. I extensively use the microwave to reheat pizza, biscuits, pancakes, brownies:pig:, bagels, and any other bread product I have had in the freezer. The procedure I use is to sprinkle a few drops of water on the food (in the case of pizza, on the crust only), cover with a plate or other lid, reheat the product on medium level heat for a short period of time, and check frequently for how hot the food has gotten, usually by feeling the bottom of the plate the food is on. I can get bread products to be hot/warm, moist and just like the food came out of the oven fresh. If your bread products come out hard and inedible, you have used too high a heat level in the microwave and heated it for too long. I still generally do batch cooking and use my microwave daily to reheat all kinds of foods.
I defrost but don't heat bread rolls in the m/wave. Heating makes the rolls soggy and yucky

I think there are some people who strongly believe that microwaves are bad Period, bad for anything and everything.

P.S. I too use it to warm up bread.
I don't think m/wave is bad for you I just don't think they are a good cook's tool except for reheating (home made) frozen food, cooking a piece of fish or a chicken joint in a hurry or making porridge. for serious cooking no way.

I have used the microwave as a tool while making large meals. There is always something you can cook in the microwave from start to finish.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom