Rice Cookers ... Please give me your advice/ideas.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I couldn't live without my rice cooker, especially because I eat a lot of brown rice, and the stovetop method never cooks it half as well as the rice cooker.

I couldn't live without my rice cooker, especially because I eat a lot of brown rice, and the stovetop method never cooks it half as well as the rice cooker.
Amen to that...I also like brown rice, and my rice cooker is a better rice cook than I am. I enjoyed some leftover brown Basmati this morning, reincarnated as fried rice. Yum!

Amen to that...I also like brown rice, and my rice cooker is a better rice cook than I am. I enjoyed some leftover brown Basmati this morning, reincarnated as fried rice. Yum!

Sounds great! I love fried rice!

I love my rice cooker, too. It makes it so easy and always comes out right.

Brown rice for fried rice? Is that was most Chinese restaurants use? I know it's brown after cooking, but I always thought it was the same "sticky" white rice w/ soy and browned.

But anyway - brown rice for fried rice?

I love my rice cooker, too. It makes it so easy and always comes out right.

Brown rice for fried rice? Is that was most Chinese restaurants use? I know it's brown after cooking, but I always thought it was the same "sticky" white rice w/ soy and browned.

But anyway - brown rice for fried rice?

Chinese fried rice is made with left over white rice. It can be made with brown rice but the color of fried rice comes from the soy sauce and oyster sauce used to flavor it.

Chinese fried rice is made with left over white rice. It can be made with brown rice but the color of fried rice comes from the soy sauce and oyster sauce used to flavor it.

Correctomundo! I just use brown (Basmati) because it's what I normally cook and eat, and fried rice is a leftovers dish here. I season with Bragg's Liquid Aminos instead of soy sauce, and oyster or fish sauce if I have it, and a smidge of white pepper. Mmmm! Today, btw, is my lucky day. I was setting up to paint an office at church this morning and had to break for a computer job. On my way back to the church after, I decided to stop in at 2nd Helpings, my favorite charity thrift store in town. It's where I found my Sanyo rice cooker last week. Today, they had the second (slow cooker) bowl and a spare inner lid for $2 + tax. Yay!

Sorry to post again on this, but I didn't think of it until it was too late to edit...has anybody used their rice cooker as a slow cooker, like a crock-pot? If yes, what results?

gadzooks:

I have a Morphy-Richards multicooker which i think it's absolutely amazing! It serves 9 functions, being one of them slow cooking, also steams, bakes, reheats and of course it's brilliant for rice and pasta. I think not all rice cookers are able for slow cooking, because the programs to cook rice are specific and time pre-programmed! With those multipurposes you can find also models on Sanyo or Cuisinart :cool:

Very impressive. I do have the high-end Sanyo that slow-cooks. I wish the thrift store had had the one that pressure cooks as well, but beggars can't be choosers, I suppose.

I had an Aroma fuzzy logic one, that could do all sorts of things: white rice, brown rice, sticky rice, steam, slow cooker, stew...

I cannot find it anymore, I think my mom gave it to a thrift store or summat. But now I have a cheep-ish Zojirushi NHS-10. I believe its new for $50 USD, but I got it at Goodwill (thrift store) for $5! Didn't have the steamer thing, but thats ok I just cook rice with it.

You can't go wrong with any Zojirushi, or other Japanese brands: Tiger, Sanyo, Panasonic, Imperial, Tar Hong..

Sorry to post again on this, but I didn't think of it until it was too late to edit...has anybody used their rice cooker as a slow cooker, like a crock-pot? If yes, what results?

I cook rice in a waterless slow cooker. Before I bought that, i used a rival crock pot. 2 cups of brown rice to 5 cups of water for two hours on low, and the rice is perfect. No sticking.

I cook rice in a waterless slow cooker. Before I bought that, i used a rival crock pot. 2 cups of brown rice to 5 cups of water for two hours on low, and the rice is perfect. No sticking.

Two hours to cook rice is a long time.

Yes, but it is in a crockpot, you don't have to watch it, or even think about it, just remember to turn it off.

Thanks for the great advice everyone. I just purchased a Panasonic SR-MGS102 fuzzy logic (pricey at $200 from William Sonoma) and I love it. It has 8 program settings including slow cooking and cake! I have made jasmine and brown rice in it already with perfect results. I really like how the dimpled inner pan is non-stick and the inner lid and steam vent remove for easy cleaning. Thanks again for all of the expert advice in this thread. I would not have purchased a rice cooker without all of your wonderful input!!!

Thanks for the great advice everyone. I just purchased a Panasonic SR-MGS102 fuzzy logic (pricey at $200 from William Sonoma) and I love it. It has 8 program settings including slow cooking and cake! I have made jasmine and brown rice in it already with perfect results. I really like how the dimpled inner pan is non-stick and the inner lid and steam vent remove for easy cleaning. Thanks again for all of the expert advice in this thread. I would not have purchased a rice cooker without all of your wonderful input!!!

Now you need to learn to cook steel cut oats in it! It is wonderful!!!

There's lots of things you can do in that cooker.

I have a 7 Cup Wolfgang Puck cooker and lost the instructions shortly after the purchase. Can anyone give me some guidelines. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom