Showtime rotisserie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RMS

Sous Chef
I got a Showtime rotisserie for Christmas. Does anyone have any favorite rubs or marinade recipes that they are willing to share?:chef:
any helpful tips I should know? Thanks!

I got one a few years ago for a Christmas gift... I've only used it a few times though. I'll check with my MIL she uses her's all the time.

Thanks to you both.
I did see that thread but nothing about the Showtime rotisserie so decided to start up a new discussion.

A friend of mine has a rotisserie. One of her favorite ways to prepare chicken is to sprinkle a whole chicken inside and out with lemon pepper then truss it up and cook according to the rotisserie directions. It is so good and the chicken in very moist and tender.

How easy is the rotisserie to clean? That is the one thing that concerns me. We eat lots of rotisserie chicken, but I just buy from one of the many sources and select from the seasonings they offer. I don't want to spend longer cleaning up than it did to cook it.

I haven't used mine yet but it has a non-stick interior and they recommend using aluminum foil in the drip pan and behind the heating element to make clean up easier. I'll let you know if it works!:)

my mil used one extensively in her waning years. she had become quite feeble, but was fiercely independent and still wanted to cook, so instead of taking a gamble with her using the stove and falling asleep, we bought the showtime rotisserie, mostly for the timimg/shut off feature.
it works quite well, and has a drip tray for relatively easy cleaning, but i've never made a roast that didn't spatter a little, so it does eventually rquire a more thorough, thus more difficult cleaning.
one big warning, the older models came with a steaming pan to place on top of the unit. i'm not sure if they still do. well, guess what? that also means that the top gets very hot, so you have to be careful to keep things away from the top surface. i remember a plastic bag from food shopping blew around the kitchen on a windy day, and eventually found the hot rotisserie to stick to. it took me forever to get most of it clean, but it is now stained pretty badly.
all in all, minor safety concerns aside, my mil enjoyed using it for chicken, and also used the baskets a few times to make fish.

as far as marinades or rubs, try this extremely simple rub on your next chicken. mix equal parts of garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, and fresh cracked black pepper, and then a few pinches of sea salt. rub all over (washed then patted dry) chicken, inside and out, and place in your rotisserie.
if you want crispier skin, massage the boid with a little olive oil, then put on the rub.

I love my ST Rotisserie - I also do a simple rub on my chicken or you can use the same rub as Sticky Chicken including letting it "marinate" overnight.

Another favorite thing to do is a rack of ribs (I used the larger pork ribs) - cook with salt and pepper but the last 20 minutes or so baste with a combination of orange marmalade, garlic chili paste, and horseradish.

I think they are really easy to clean up - all the removable parts are dishwasher safe. You get your typical oxidizing but that's all.

I have also done a leg of lamb using a rosemary pesto-type paste with the addition of Dijon mustard and soy sauce.

RMS said:
I got a Showtime rotisserie for Christmas. Does anyone have any favorite rubs or marinade recipes that they are willing to share?:chef:
any helpful tips I should know? Thanks!

RMS;

Here's a dry rub recipe that you can try! It works for me!

1/4 cup coarse saly (Kosher or sea)

1/4 cup (packed) brown sugar

1/4 cup paprika

3 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper (Previously ground works well also)

1 tablspoon garlic powder

1 tablespoon dried onion powder

1/2 to 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

1/2 teaspoon celery seeds

Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and stir or whisk to mix.
Transfer to a jar, cover with tight-fitting lid to keep out air and moisture.
Store away from heat and light. The rub will keep for several months.

I got this recipe from the cookbook Barbeque Bible (Sauces Rubs and Marinades, page 23) by Steven Raichlen.

I usually make several batches of the stuff to keep on hand, since I'm always roasting chickens, fresh pork shoulders, baby back ribs, quartered chicken pieces and such. I love it! With this, you never need additional seasoning,
since it aready contains salt, pepper and other seasonings.

Marinate the meat overnight and the next day you're golden!! Just roast or bake as you like.

I own the George Jr. Rotisserie, the Rival BBQ Pit Crock Pot Counertop Slow Cooker and the Flavor Wave Convection Oven. They ALL do a very superb job of coooking meat to tender juicy perfection!

~Corey123.:chef: :cool: :)

Last edited:
Can you guys help me out? I'm thinking of getting hubby a rotisserie for his bday...I don't know anything about them. I see that I can order a Showtime rotisserie from Penneys which is helpful since I live so far away from anything! They have a regular one (it shows 2 chickens inside and says it can cook a 15 lb turkey. They also sell a "Jr." one which holds one chicken and can do a 10 lb turkey. Any advice? I'm thinking I might as well get the larger one...

Thanks for any help.

I got the larger one. (standard size) I used it last night with Buckytom's recipe for the rub. It was absolutely delicious. I would definitely recommend it to anyone! Moist and juicy on the inside, crispy on the outside and by far the best chicken I've ever made myself! Thank you to all for recipes and advice. I'll be using my rotisserie often and plan to try everyone's recipes!
Tonight I'm going to try Shish-ka-bobs!

Callie, your husband is going to love it! Mine came from BJ's and came with a bunch of accessories. You can get it directly from the company at www.showtimerotisserie.com but it was much more expensive there than we paid at Bj's. ($100.00 more)

The only problem I encountered was the new appliance smell that it gave off. Pretty nasty at first, like burning plastic. I was afraid but it didn't effect the taste of the chicken at all and since it's only supposed to happen the first time you use the rotisserie, I think the worst is over!

yup, corey, they're close. i like to start with the one i posted, pretty basic, and then build from there. i like the idea of celery seeds, and of course cayenne is always a good touch, when a little background heat is in order. i've never added sugar; will have to try that. i'm always afraid of sugar burning.

starting with my basic rub, i'll add ground cumin and chipotle for a southwest accent; dried oregano, basil, marjoram, and savory for a more medditerranean flavor; soy, ground coriander and ginger for an asian influence; even dried sage, thyme, rosemary, parsley, and lavendar for french feel.

Last edited:
Yes, they are.

Well, I like to slow cook all my meats for barbequing, and since the meat is slow cooked, the brown sugar never has a chance to burn. This is where the Rival BBQ Pit comes in real handy!

Slow cooking your meat helps to break down the fibers more to make it much more tender and help it taste 10 times better.

If you want to see what the Rival BBQ Pit looks like, just go to http://www.target.com , click on kitchen appliances, then slow cookers and see it on one of those pages there. I wrote a review on it there also. My screen name is Daquan over there.

~Corey123.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom