Slow Cooker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrsmosey

Assistant Cook
Good day all,

I am new here and still trying to navigate around the site.

I do need a question answered though. I started cooking an oxtail today in my slow cooker at around 11 am on high for tomorrow night's supper but now am worried that it will not be completely cooked by tonight. What will be the best way to store it overnight and to carry on cooking the next day? Or should I just let it cook through the night maybe on low?

Thank you in advance
mrsmosey

Hi, mrsmosey. Welcome to Discuss Cooking :)

Is this an oxtail stew? What other ingredients are in the slow cooker?

I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be fully cooked after 8 to 10 hours in the slow cooker. It should be on low the whole time.

To store it overnight, remove the crock with the food, let it cool and either cover it and put it in the fridge or transfer the food to another container and refrigerate. Reheat in a saucepan over low heat.

I've cooked many an oxtail dish and the cooking time you are mentioning seems way too long, especially since you say you began the cooking process on HIGH on your slow cooker.

I use my slow cooker frequently to cook oxtails and have never cooked them more than 8 hours on LOW. Perhaps your oxtails are sturdier/tougher than the ones I get from our butcher, which would warrant a longer cooking time.

As for preparing them, GotGarlic has given you good advice about refrigerating and reheating.

Let us know how everything turns out.

Thanks for the advice! Yes it should be cooked by now but alas we have had two hours of load shedding so am afraid I might have to cook it on low thru' the night. Reheat in the oven for tomorrow night. I always cook mine slowly in the oven so do not know what possessed me to slow cooker it!

Thanks for the advice! Yes it should be cooked by now but alas we have had two hours of load shedding so am afraid I might have to cook it on low thru' the night. Reheat in the oven for tomorrow night. I always cook mine slowly in the oven so do not know what possessed me to slow cooker it!

You are over thinking this.
I can braise ox tails in under three hours. I brown them and add liquid to the pot and put in a low oven 300F for 2 hours.
Then add root veggies to the pot and cook for 1 more hour.
They are almost to soft to lift up and out of the pan.

Lighten up. This is cooking. It simple and easy. Relax. ;)

You are over thinking this.
I can braise ox tails in under three hours. I brown them and add liquid to the pot and put in a low oven 300F for 2 hours.
Then add root veggies to the pot and cook for 1 more hour.
They are almost to soft to lift up and out of the pan.

Lighten up. This is cooking. It simple and easy. Relax. ;)

Yes I know and that is exactly what I have done many times but like I said, thought I would try the slow cooker for some reason hence my questions. Thank you all for the help!

Yes I know and that is exactly what I have done many times but like I said, thought I would try the slow cooker for some reason hence my questions. Thank you all for the help!

I love ox tails, but boy are they greasy!
I'm certain the slow cooker will yeild very good results! :)

All turned out good in the end. Thanks everyone for input. New here but will definitely be using this forum more often.

:yum:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom