Slow Cooker Dilemma

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giacona

Assistant Cook
Hi Everyone,

I am in need of some advice. I currently have a multi cooker that slow cooks, steams and is also a rice cooker. I am have been trying to slow cook with it lately and the recipes have been coming out horrible. The unit I currently have only has a timer for slow cooking and does not have a high or low option If you slow cook for 8 hours or more it cooks on low, and for 6 hours or less it cooks on high.

I believe the problem may be the unit I have is not great. A friend of mine has a 7 quart Cuisinart slow cooker and he loves it. A few weeks ago we cooked a ham in there and it came out great.

The issue I have is I am out of the house between 10 & 11 hours. Would I still be able to make good meals and have not my meat take very dry like it currently does when I out of the house that long? I know after cooking it will switch to the keep warm setting.

If anyone can offer some advice or even recommend some good slow cookers that would be great

Which multi-cooker do you have? I just bought an Instant Pot multi-cooker for Christmas and so far, I love it. I haven't tried slow-cooking in it yet, but it seems to be well-made and the pressure cooking function works well.

I think it's difficult to cook anything for that long and not have it overcook and dry out. If possible, you might think about changing up your cooking style. Use a pressure cooker to make several meals on the weekend for the week, or make meals the night before, refrigerate and reheat.

Hope this helps.

The multi cooker I have is a Wolfgang Puck 10 Cup digital multi cooker.

I've had it a while and it works great for cooking rice and steaming vegetables.

I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place here. if I buy a new unit and it has an option to slow cook on low I am rolling the dice that I wont have the same issue.

I am new to slow cooking and being gone between 10-11 hours makes me wonder if I wasting my time and money. I hate throwing food out, but I can't eat dry meat that has no flavor. Even if I am gone 10 hours wouldn't the unit switch to the warm setting after a while? Not sure if this would dry out the meat or not

Other people have different experience, but to be honest, I don't like how slow cooked food comes out. That's why I suggested pressure-cooking your dinners the night before, refrigerating, and reheating the next day.

The Instant Pot does have three slow cooker settings. You choose the setting and the time and it automagically switches to warm when the cooking time is up.

You could keep your current appliance for the rice and steaming functions, although I find they work just fine on the stove or in the microwave.

Sounds like you need a slow cooker with a programmable feature that will keep the temperature within a certain range. Also try adding more water or stock/broth, and perhaps lift the lid a little to let some of the heat escape.

Back
Top Bottom