Slow cooker smell and taste

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tlynn

Assistant Cook
Hello everyone,
This is my first post. I just bought my first Slow Cooker. a Hamilton Beach. I followed all the directions, But noticed a strange metallic taste and smell.
Does anyone know if this will go away the more I use it ? or do I need to try a different Brand. Is there some trick I'm missing. Please help, Thank you

Lots of new appliances smell like that. I just bought a new toaster recently. It took a few uses before the smell was gone, and I threw out a few slices of toast along the way.

I can understand the smell but not the taste.

Did you wash the crock thoroughly before using it?

As Steve mentioned, sometimes a new appliance needs to "burn off" that smell.

You might try putting plain water in the crock and "cook" it on high for a few hours. Let it cool ... dump out and do it again. Might need to do it a few times.

Or maybe some baking soda and vinegar. I agree, lots of new appliances need breaking in to get rid of the metallic smell.

Welcome to Discuss Cooking. I have not had that problem with mine, but it's about 10 years old. I have a Rival programmable. I did a search on Hamilton Beach, & noticed there are a few different models. One has a cast-aluminum insert that can also be used on the stovetop to brown & sear. It shouldn't affect the taste of the food. If you followed the manual, I would contact the manufacturer.

I don't use my slow cooker for actual slow cooking, because I think everything cooked in a slow cooker has that metallic taste and smell. I especially dislike chicken made in a slow cooker.

I use mine for holding things for a potluck.

Those of you who are saying you get a metallic taste from your slow cooker .. does your slow cooker have a pottery insert? And are you using a plastic or glass lid?

I've used slow cookers for over 40 years and I have never experienced a metallic taste so this is really confusing me.

Last edited:
I wonder if some new appliances have to burn off a bit of oil or lubricant, leading to a smell.

Last edited:
I don't use my slow cooker for actual slow cooking, because I think everything cooked in a slow cooker has that metallic taste and smell. I especially dislike chicken made in a slow cooker.

I use mine for holding things for a potluck.

I'm soo glad to hear somebody else say this SG!! I don't know if it's a metallic taste, but food from a crock pot always tastes "off" to me. I call it a "crock pot taste" that I never get in my enameled cast iron pot that I use on top of the stove or in the oven to obtain the same results. I brought this subject up here a long time ago and nobody agreed so I thought it was just me. My crock pot has a crockery insert and a glass lid, and both are always thoroughly washed.

I'm soo glad to hear somebody else say this SG!! I don't know if it's a metallic taste, but food from a crock pot always tastes "off" to me. I call it a "crock pot taste" that I never get in my enameled cast iron pot that I use on top of the stove or in the oven to obtain the same results. I brought this subject up here a long time ago and nobody agreed so I thought it was just me. My crock pot has a crockery insert and a glass lid, and both are always thoroughly washed.

I agree, too, Kayelle. I don't get a metallic taste, but I rarely use my slow cooker because the food doesn't have the same flavor. Mine also has a pottery insert and a glass lid.

I agree, too, Kayelle. I don't get a metallic taste, but I rarely use my slow cooker because the food doesn't have the same flavor. Mine also has a pottery insert and a glass lid.

As a point of discussion GG, my opinion is that it's seldom unattended food cooked for hours on end without ever lifting a lid, will ever have the same quality as an attended pot with some tender loving care.

On the other hand, crock pots are a wonderful invention for those who simply can't be in the kitchen, attending to the pot. I've sure been there, but now I have little use for a crock pot.

I never really learned how to use a crockpot, I have two. One is small & the insert doesn't come out & I own a large one that does come out of the heating unit. I use it for keeping food warm during picnics or parties.

I did try a chicken recipe in it recently & I will never cook chicken in that thing again. I didn't like the texture at all.

Add me to the list of people who think food cooked in a crockpot doesn't taste right. I just use mine to keep food hot at parties.

But if it has a ceramic insert the only thing I can think of is that the lid isn't sitting tightly on top of the insert or else the lid might be sitting on the metal shell. That might allow the smell of the hot metal shell to permeate the food.

I never really learned how to use a crockpot, I have two. One is small & the insert doesn't come out & I own a large one that does come out of the heating unit. I use it for keeping food warm during picnics or parties.

I did try a chicken recipe in it recently & I will never cook chicken in that thing again. I didn't like the texture at all.
I have two and use them a lot but not for things like chicken pieces and fish that don't need long cooking. I find that neither of them cook very slowly. In fact I use mine to cook pulses and at Christmas to boil the Christmas pudding. If I use them for a casserole I use shin beef and leave it in the large slices rather than cutting it into bite-sized pieces. I also cook oxtail and lamb shanks and boil joints of gammon it.

As for smell and taste, there was a slight smell the first time it was heated but never had problems with taste (and one of mine is a Crockpot).

Last edited:
I have a slow cooker and hate it! Things seem to lack flavour in my slow cooker compared to putting a casserole dish in the oven. There is definitely less evaporation of liquids in the slow cooker but reducing this down at the end doesn't seem to address the problem. I'm taking mine to the next jumble sale!

Back
Top Bottom