Sous Vide for less than $30?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Southern Dad

Assistant Cook
I came across a sous vide immersion precision cooker for $29 on Amazon. Is it any good? I do not know until mine arrives in two days. I am not an affiliate nor am I selling them. Just sharing a $29 deal that I found. Remember that Amazon has a 30 return policy, this is a fulfilled by Amazon so it ships free with Prime.

If anyone has this model or knows anything about it, I would appreciate your thoughts. I read the reviews. A couple said that it is off by a 1º F, I can handle that offset. This will not replace that wonderful Anova that I purchased but could give me a second device if I have a long cook going.

I am actually excited to try this out. I will post my experience with it in a couple days and hopefully, learn enough to make a video. Could I become a YouTube star? Well most likely not.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-09-28 at 6.37.18 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-09-28 at 6.37.18 PM.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 136
I didn't research this product, but I do have an Anova sous vide thingy, that I paid WAY more than $29 for! I was initially very excited, but after a sous vide frenzy, I rarely use it. It's great for making beef Wellington, but how often does one make that? I find that the boil-and-let stand method works much better for shrimp, and I prefer grilled chicken to the oddly textured sous vide poached chicken. I'm sure you'll have fun, but in my humble opinion, the sous vide experience is, for the most part, over-rated. I'm sure it's great in restaurants!

It looks like someone in China reverse engineered an Anova. I'd be careful not to get my hand in the water while it is plugged in. :LOL:

CD

I didn't research this product, but I do have an Anova sous vide thingy, that I paid WAY more than $29 for! I was initially very excited, but after a sous vide frenzy, I rarely use it. It's great for making beef Wellington, but how often does one make that? I find that the boil-and-let stand method works much better for shrimp, and I prefer grilled chicken to the oddly textured sous vide poached chicken. I'm sure you'll have fun, but in my humble opinion, the sous vide experience is, for the most part, over-rated. I'm sure it's great in restaurants!

Yes, I also paid far more than $29 for my Anova. I love mine. I have used it for pork chops, steak, chicken, and bacon. The Joule app gave me the idea to put bacon in for an overnight cook or longer. Due to some scheduling issues we wound up making it a 36 hour cook. We seared one side as the instructions said. Keep in mind this was simply packaged store bought thick sliced bacon. Nothing special. It was amazing! Everyone in the family ate it. Which of course, made me very happy.

I have not experienced weird textured chicken, yet. But I sear mine. I've even done a couple where I seared before I put in the water and after just a brief sear.

It earns it's money just by what it does to a steak, for me. Perfect medium rare all the way through, with a sear applied at the end of the cook.

I also love cooking fish fillets with it. Never under or over cooked.

CD

If this product is coming from China it may take months to get here. That was my experience with a different product. Hope I am wrong.

If this product is coming from China it may take months to get here. That was my experience with a different product. Hope I am wrong.

It may be assembled in China, I won’t know until arrives but it is fulfilled by Amazon. Two day free delivery.

Back
Top Bottom