Stick Blender Recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Corey123 said:
These units should NEVER go in the dishwasher. Absloutely forbidden!:ohmy:
A quick rinse is all it needs.

~Corey123.
Corey123 I think you misunderstood. The motor does not go in the dishwasher, but some units have a feature where the motor section twist off so you can put the blade part in the dishwasher. They are designed that way on purpose.

Corey123 said:
The main key to using any one of these units is that you MUST keep the blades submerged in the liquid, or you will end up with the huge mess that you speak of.:ermm:

At least halfway up the shaft. I think you should try it again and see if it isn't true for you as well.:)

Get a cheapy one to start with, then as you gain comfort and confidence, you can expand your experience to master this tool like a seasoned pro.:chef:

~Corey123.

Thanks for the advice Corey but I think I'm safer with my food processor.

Just a followup - I got my Braun stick blender a couple days ago & I've used it at least half a dozen times. I love it!!! :cool: I'm still learning what to do & what not to do with the different attachments! Made a couple messes with it along the way but I'll get there! Thanks for everyone's input.

I've had one for years, but forget about using it. I need to organize my gadgets so I have everything more accessible.

Cheap Braun--$10-15. If you are going to make smoothies, etc. every day, then invest in a Bamix.

Wish I had the braun one. :) Very nice!!! I have a cheapie one that looks like the Braun, but the bottom part doesn't come off to wash seperately. I do what GB does, I get a glass of water w/a touch of dw soap and wizz away. Perfect!!!

BTW, they are GREAT for making EGG NOGS. Stupid me didn't think to use it for gravy, but that's a great idea, thanks :) Anyone else have any great ideas? Sometimes, I only need that one little push for the light to go on. LOL

I tried it once to smooth out tomato sauce. It turned it orange! The blender whips so many bubbles into the liquid, it changes the color.

Andy M. said:
I tried it once to smooth out tomato sauce. It turned it orange! The blender whips so many bubbles into the liquid, it changes the color.

I use mine for roasted tomato sauce and that hasn't happened to me--nice smooth red.
It's not all that hard to keep the bottom in the liquid--and it is definitely more convenient than pouring stuff into the FP!!
And I am a bit with Licia--all of a sudden I slap myself up side head and say--USE the BRAUN, stupid!!

I have a Braun, it came with a whisk, which I used for the first time yesterday and was really impressed with it, and a grinder thingie, which I haven't used as yet. I love it. My mother always had Bamix, which are great, but incredibly expensive and I think that the Braun is just as good.

Gretchen said:
...It's not all that hard to keep the bottom in the liquid--...

You're absolutely right! I discovered a long time ago that if you don't keep it in the liquid, you have a lot of added cleaning to do.

However, that was not the problem. I keep the head of the blender under and still get a change in color.

Perhaps with your roasted tomato sauce, which would be even a darker red to start, the change is not as obvious.

The L.A. Times food section often includes an article in which a group of kitchen experts rate different brands of a specified gadget or appliance. A while ago they examined stick blenders and concluded that the Kitchenaid was superior in design and performance. If I recall correctly, the reviewers touted KitchenAid's larger size to be a plus for an immersion hand blender. We purchased one based on their comments and have been very happy with it. We've used it for soups, sauces, even milkshakes. We even used it to make fresh bread crumbs, which came out a bit finer than we had wanted but still perfectly okay.

Here's a link to the same article that appeared in the AJC and was later posted on GardenWeb.

Last edited:
I love mine - I think it's a Braun. It's an old one that doesn't come apart. I use the hot water and a bit of dish soap in a glass to clean it.

If anything happened to it I would definitely get another one. I don't think I would want a batter-operated one though. The cord doesn't get in my way (but I have outlets all around my kitchen). I don't want to have to worry about keeping it charged.

Andy M. said:

I did just that with a batch of hot pepper sauce.
Then I remembered that it should be blended FIRST and cooked AFTERWARDS, which maintains the colour. :huh: :chef:

Back
Top Bottom