Stick blenders

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pacanis

Chef Extraordinaire
I think this is an appliance.... or a kitchen tool?

At any rate, I googled some searches on this site and can't come up with anything "new". I am looking for some advice on which model might be good today, because Amazon's reviews swing both ways for the three I am looking at; Braun, Cuisinart or Kitchen Aid. Maybe there isn't much difference from one to the other.
So last night I saw AB make up some mussels and use a stick blender to make a sauce for them. I immediately put this on my list of things to do, but I don't have a stick blender and don't want to dig out the "real" blender.... where ever it is ;)
I read these can also be used (with attachments) to chop things, also, in lieu of a food processer? And to whisk things? Do they work well enough for those two things? I don't have a food processer or mixer and would like a nice muli-functional tool that might not do the job as intended, but well enough for what you are using, plus it takes up a lot less room.
I kinda had my eye on this one because you can mount it to the wall.
Amazon.com: Braun MR5550CA Multiquick Professional Hand Blender, White: Kitchen & Dining

What do you think?

You don't need to spend a lot to get a stick blender that works great. I bought a $20 Braun with the same attachments. The difference is it ha 200 watts of power vs the 400 this one has. With mine I can twist off the business end of the blender and toss it in the dishwasher. Very convenient.

I've never wished for more power. I use it mostly for pureeing soups and sauces right in the pot. I have never used the mini food processor attachment as I have a mini FP that's easier to use.

I read some reviews saying the 200w stick blender they had didn't work well on making milk shakes, so thought maybe the 400w one would, plus it's cheaper than some of the other 200w blenders with attachments.
I read your dishwasher comment in my search, a very big plus like you say, and this one comes apart for that.
Hmmm, maybe I would be better off buying a cheaper one and looking into a mini FP, I didn't know they had those, but I'd really like to only buy the one appliance. Food for thought though... Thanks

My neighbor got me the cuisinart one with the attachments. I think i used the stick part once and the food processor part like a million times.

saves me a whole lot of time chopping garlic.

the only problem i dont like about the food processor part is that you can add anything while processing. but except for emultions thats not really an issue.

ill see if I can find a link to it for you.

The Braun model immersion blender in your Amazon link is one of the top rated of it's type. These types of blenders are not designed to take the place of a counter top blender, or food processer. IMO if you want an immersion blender buy one with out all of the attachments...later add a counter top blender or food processer (or both) to you inventory of small appliances....

Have Fun!

I have a Braun with attachments. I use the whisk attachment for whisking 6 eggs at a time. I used the blender attachment for pureeing cat food when I had to syringe feed a cat. Also have the chopper attachment which I haven't used yet.

Thanks for the feedback on using it as a FP. You do mean you "can't" add anything, right?
I think the option of using it as a FP is mostly what is making me want to get one. I don't mind chopping garlic or onions, but the finer I chop them the harder it is, because they want to stick to the other side of the knife...

Edit; this was directed at GhettoKid.
Thanks for all the other replies.

I read some reviews saying the 200w stick blender they had didn't work well on making milk shakes, so thought maybe the 400w one would, plus it's cheaper than some of the other 200w blenders with attachments.
I read your dishwasher comment in my search, a very big plus like you say, and this one comes apart for that.
Hmmm, maybe I would be better off buying a cheaper one and looking into a mini FP, I didn't know they had those, but I'd really like to only buy the one appliance. Food for thought though... Thanks

I also have a mini FP , I used it for chopping up eggs for egg salad , chopping tomatoes, I forget what else. :rolleyes: I also have a full sized FP .

I would steer away from the one you have linked only because the one I had that had plastic housing to cover the blade cracked. =/

I purchased another one that is metal (KitchenAid) and I've used it for probably six or seven years now without the cracking problem.

:heart:
Z

That wow still stands as taken.

My neighbor has gadgets/small appliances. She has like no room in her large kitchen.

I like alton browns reasoning when buying stuff. Only buy multitaskers. not single use gadgets.

My gadgets/small aplicances are simple

hand mixer
hand blender with FP attachment
Kitchenade mix (got a grinder and slicer attachment that ive never used.

pacanis - I use mine strictly like Andy M uses his. Mine doesn't even have other attachments and I don't know that I'd use the others because I have other "tools" to take care of those jobs. Mine doesn't come apart so I simply "blend" a sink or tall glass of hot, soapy water and it cleans right up. :chef:

You don't need to spend much unless you just want all that other stuff.

EDITED to say I went to your link - can I now say "I want one of those"? :blush: pacanis - this is your fault!

I don't know about the stick blender but I do have the Braun hand mixer with attachments. It has the mini chopper, stick blender, and regular beaters and dough hooks. Amazon.com: Braun M880 Multimix 4-in-1 Hand Mixer: Kitchen & Dining
Don't use the dough hooks much but everything else gets used alot. I have a Krups full sized blender that also doubles as a food processor which is really difficult to use. (I didn't purchase it! It was a gift) I usually use the Braun and have been very happy with it.

i have a braun, from when they first came out, and love it. i u nderstand from a local store that the newer ones made are cheaper and have less power. i've heard storie sof ppl blending lasrge pots of soup and the motor "going". Just keep that in mind.

Thanks for the feedback on using it as a FP. You do mean you "can't" add anything, right?
I think the option of using it as a FP is mostly what is making me want to get one. I don't mind chopping garlic or onions, but the finer I chop them the harder it is, because they want to stick to the other side of the knife...

Edit; this was directed at GhettoKid.
Thanks for all the other replies.

jsut say this.

yeah Cant add.... but the thing works great. It is metal so its strong and the attachments are dishwasher safe.

even though with the stick i turn it on in warm soapy water.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom