Time for a new microwave

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Like searching for a new doctor or church, shopping for a new major appliance can be real pain, but I've put off doing my homework long enough. My last microwave was a Wards model with no turntable and it was great, lasting 24 years..
This time, we'd like an off-the-counter model, since we've grown accustomed to the the old one's absence and can think of other things to do with that space. What are your suggestions?

We have a Panasonic Inverter microwave. It is over the stove. I do not use it often, but when I do use it, it works very well. The inverter feature has to do with defrosting I think. I hate using microwaves to defrost (as almost never do), but this one actually does a pretty good job.

GB said:
We have a Panasonic Inverter microwave. It is over the stove. I do not use it often, but when I do use it, it works very well. The inverter feature has to do with defrosting I think. I hate using microwaves to defrost (as almost never do), but this one actually does a pretty good job.

I, also, do not like to defrost foods in the microwave, especially meat. It tends to cook on the edges prematurely!!

I own the Kenmore Toast N' Wave, but it's a counertop model. But it's huge, has a big roomy interior and is loaded with lots of "bells and whistles".

But you can get a Kenmore over-the-range unit as well. Don't know much about them, since all of the microwaves that I've owned were the coutertop type.

~Corey123.

I'm curious about convection microwaves. Are they worth the extra cost? I have a large family, and have always wanted a second oven, so I wonder if this would be a more like that..or would I be better of getting a regular microwave and envtually replacing the old stove with a convection oven?

Corey123 said:
I, also, do not like to defrost foods in the microwave, especially meat. It tends to cook on the edges prematurely!!

I didn't like to defrost meat in the microwave before either. That is, until we bought our last microwave. It's a Sharp carousel model with a Compu-defrost feature that works almost flawlessly. I love it and use the defrost feature all the time. It doesn't cook the meat at all.

My Kenmore Toast N' Wave has a defrost cycle - in fact, it has several, but I still have yet to try one of them. Maybe someday, I will, but with extreme caution, though.:ermm:

~Corey123.

Last edited:
Corey123 said:
My Kenmore Toast N' Wave has a defrost cycle - in fact, several, but I still have yet to try one of them. Maybe someday, I will, but with extreme caution, though.:ermm:

~Corey123.

I hear you about the caution bit..who wants to sacrifice a package of any meat to test run the defrost function? $$$

Especially a large one!

I might try a small package of meat such as two pork chops or something like that.

~Corey123.

Corey123 said:
Especially a large one!

I might try a small package of meat such as two pork chops or something like that.

~Corey123.

But only if they're on sale and there's a handy pet to cover one's tush...:angel:

My favorite microwave had a temp probe. omg, that was wonderful. It also came with a ceramic soup/casserole pot type thing.

I didn't have to moniter anything. The probe turned the microwave off when the temp that you programmed in, was reached.

I believe that was a Sharp.

Half Baked said:
My favorite microwave had a temp probe. omg, that was wonderful. It also came with a ceramic soup/casserole pot type thing.

I didn't have to moniter anything. The probe turned the microwave off when the temp that you programmed in, was reached.

I believe that was a Sharp.

My favourite microwave also had the temperature probe and a rack for top/bottom cooking. We're talking about a model that came out around 1980 and was large enough to cook a small turkey (not that I would have). It was programmable for up to 500 of my own recipes and I could actually make a pan of lasagna in it (yes, you *can* make good microwave lasagna, but the ovens these days aren't large enough to hold a 13X9 glass pan). I had it programmed for a lot of recipes. For a while I shared a house with my brother and he had the same model so we switched from using mine after a couple of years to using his. Something about being fair, I dunno :LOL: He got married and I got my own place. When I plugged it back in, the dang thing still had all my recipes in memory!

It was an RCA model. It's the only one I've ever actually used for cooking. The microwaves these days are all about smaller, sort of like the trend with cell phones. When my old one died, I got a Panasonic. The only thing I use it for now is reheating stuff. I could probably live without it.

Fraidy

I only use it to reheat now too. Sometimes I'll cook some fish for lunch, if I'm in a hurry. My sister uses one for every meal, just about.

If I had the temp probe, I'd probably use it more. My microwave now can fit a 13x9 pan in it.

Half Baked said:
I only use it to reheat now too. Sometimes I'll cook some fish for lunch, if I'm in a hurry. My sister uses one for every meal, just about.

If I had the temp probe, I'd probably use it more. My microwave now can fit a 13x9 pan in it.

Let's just say, a 13X9 pan will fit but this model has a turntable and no way to turn it off! ARRRRGH! I was budget challenged when I bought the thing and I didn't even think about an on/off switch for the turntable. Otherwise, I could still probably use it to make microwave lasagna. But I'm not sure I'd trust this one to handle a job like that. But if anyone is interested, I'll be glad to provide the recipe! :chef:

I loved my old one and will always have fond memories of it. Not only the temp probe, which was great! I could take an entree I'd prepared and frozen, uncooked, and put it in the microwave before I left for work. I'd set it to start cooking before I got home from work at X temp (or multiple temps) for X time. It would thaw in the microwave while I was gone - no, I'm not paranoid about that - then start cooking and be halfway done when I got in the door! Just enough time for a shower, change of clothes, a glass of wine, and dinner was served! :clap:

FraidKnot said:
I loved my old one and will always have fond memories of it. Not only the temp probe, which was great! I could take an entree I'd prepared and frozen, uncooked, and put it in the microwave before I left for work. I'd set it to start cooking before I got home from work at X temp (or multiple temps) for X time. It would thaw in the microwave while I was gone - no, I'm not paranoid about that - then start cooking and be halfway done when I got in the door! Just enough time for a shower, change of clothes, a glass of wine, and dinner was served! :clap:

I sure they still make them, with the probe, but when my microwave dies, I just go buy a new one and never researched it. Perhaps I will do that right now. :-p

All I found, after a quick search, was people looking for them. http://www.halfbakery.com/idea/Temperature-controlled_20Microwave

Last edited:
Half Baked said:
I sure they still make them, with the probe, but when my microwave dies, I just go buy a new one and never researched it. Perhaps I will do that right now. :-p

All I found, after a quick search, was people looking for them. http://www.halfbakery.com/idea/Temperature-controlled_20Microwave

I got an old Tappen that has a probe, but I never use it. When I say Old I mean old. It was made back when they thought we would use them for everyday cooking. Mine has an oven so big you can put a turkey in it. It also has a browning thing-a-majig on top of the oven.

I was curious so I just checked the cookbook that came with it and it has a copyright of 1979!! Still works like a champ too!:chef: My Mom and Dad gave it to us when they bought a smaller one.

SilverCliff, you are a lucky man! Mine didn't have a browning element.

silvercliff_46 said:
I got an old Tappen that has a probe, but I never use it. When I say Old I mean old. It was made back when they thought we would use them for everyday cooking. Mine has an oven so big you can put a turkey in it. It also has a browning thing-a-majig on top of the oven.

I was curious so I just checked the cookbook that came with it and it has a copyright of 1979!! Still works like a champ too!:chef: My Mom and Dad gave it to us when they bought a smaller one.

Don't throw it away! Not many come with that now.

It's either a straight microwave, one with a toaster (like mine), one with a coffee maker or a combo-convection unit.

~Corey123.

I've never actually cooked or defrosted anything in one myself.

I use it mainly for reheating and for making popcorn. But it can assist in cooking, such as for softening or melting butter, steaming veggies as well as for softening brown sugar that has become hard as a rock.

~Corey123.

Corey123 said:
I've never actually cooked or defrosted anything in one myself.

Corey123 said:
it can assist in cooking, such as for ...steaming veggies...
If you have ever steamed veggies in a microwave then you have cooked in a microwave.

Back
Top Bottom