Toaster ovens not made in China

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

neptune

Cook
Does anybody know of any decent toaster ovens that are not made in China? I mean, even Mexico would be better than China. :cool: Thanks for any info.

I absolutely adore my little Breville toaster oven. Can't check where it's made right now, but my feeling is you can't go wrong with the brand.

I know that Breville is based in Australia, but I believe their manufacturing is done in China as well. Or at least that's the case with my Breville juicer.

These days you basically get what you pay for regardless of where it comes from.

Well, it's not just about quality—China has a very oppressive government. I don't want to give any money to that country if I can help it at least.

I absolutely adore my little Breville toaster oven. Can't check where it's made right now, but my feeling is you can't go wrong with the brand.

Thanks for the recommendation. And now that I've seen Steve's helpful heads-up, I could always e-mail the company as well to ask for more info about the origin.

Well, it's not just about quality—China has a very oppressive government. I don't want to give any money to that country if I can help it at least.
We all know that. You can take it a step further and boycott Walmart, Costco, Sam's Club, and many other big box stores if you're very serious about this.

We all know that. You can take it a step further and boycott Walmart, Costco, Sam's Club, and many other big box stores if you're very serious about this.

Of course if you do that, you either take a lot more time with your buying needs or your quality of life can be diminished. One could say that most grocery chains are bullies too, since they put 99% of all mom and pop grocery stores out of business. But then, where would you go for groceries?

People base their buying on wants and needs and availability. I'm no fan of Walmart, and I do most of my grocery shopping elsewhere. However, there are a few items that only Walmart carries locally, so I still find myself in the store about once a week. They get less than 25% of my shopping business any more, but they are still a necessity if I want to do what I feel makes my life better.

When I lived in SW Denver Metro, I almost never entered Walmart, but I shopped Sam's Club every couple of months for most of my paper goods and cleaning supplies, as well as a few bags of frozen chicken parts and the like - the sort of stuff that was far more expensive in the grocery stores.

Unfortunately, manufacturing jobs have moved out of NA. We have become "service based" countries. It is difficult to find products manufactured in the US or Canada (since I live in Canada, I try to buy Canadian-manufactured products whenever possible).

I was shocked to find out my toaster is a collector's item (Sunbeam from the 1950s--bought it at an auction when I was first married for $1). It sells for over $200 to toaster collectors. Who knew! Since I hardly ever use it, I might just have to polish it up and put it on eBay!

If enough people contact the companies and demand (ask) for products manufactured in countries other than in China, maybe the companies will get the message. Bah. Probably not.

Ritter in Germany is one source to check. Pricey.

I have to admit that my toaster oven lives in the basement. I probably should donate it to the Goodwill. I haven't used it for a couple of years.

We had a B&D factory in the area when I first moved here. I think it closed in 2000. The factory made/assembled a lot of tools, etc. A lot of jobs were lost when the factory closed and moved ... not sure where the jobs went. We had a Hershey's chocolate factory in a nearby town as well. It moved to Mexico and the small town where it was located really suffered. The building(s) are now a licensed medicinal marijuana facility. Who knew a candy factory could be refit to be a licensed grow-op!:LOL:

I want my money back from this conversation. Where's my receipt, oh ya...here.

Long ago, I bought a Presto brand electric floor heater from thrift store and tried to tinker with the thermostat so it worked. It was fail. Basically it was a toaster oven on steroids.

Last edited:

Well, as a matter of fact, I do avoid most of those stores. :) Of course, I'm not talking about perfection here. But I really don't think it's asking too much to try to find a toaster oven that isn't made in China.

I just don't buy the thinking, "It's hopeless. Everything is made in China. You will be assimilated!" :) In fact, I like Pat Benatar's take on the matter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GTFfHkpEF4

Listen to her lyrics real closely. ;)

Last edited:
Of course if you do that, you either take a lot more time with your buying needs or your quality of life can be diminished. One could say that most grocery chains are bullies too, since they put 99% of all mom and pop grocery stores out of business. But then, where would you go for groceries?

I think balance, competence, and common sense are the key, not perfection. If I can buy certain things from local farmers, I will. But if I can't, I'll buy things from a grocery chain that I think is decent. And I agree, you can't afford to spend so much time on this stuff that you have no life. :)

However, there are a few items that only Walmart carries locally, so I still find myself in the store about once a week. They get less than 25% of my shopping business any more, but they are still a necessity if I want to do what I feel makes my life better.
That makes sense.

When I lived in SW Denver Metro, I almost never entered Walmart, but I shopped Sam's Club every couple of months for most of my paper goods and cleaning supplies, as well as a few bags of frozen chicken parts and the like - the sort of stuff that was far more expensive in the grocery stores.
You sound like a savvy consumer.

Last edited:
If enough people contact the companies and demand (ask) for products manufactured in countries other than in China, maybe the companies will get the message. Bah. Probably not.

It's good to make one's voice heard at least. It certainly can't hurt, and may even help to some degree. If enough people did it, it could definitely have an effect.

Ritter in Germany is one source to check. Pricey.
Thanks—I'll check them out.

Last edited:
Well, as a matter of fact, I do avoid most of those stores. :) Of course, I'm not talking about perfection here. But I really don't think it's asking too much to try to find a toaster oven that isn't made in China.

I just don't buy the thinking, "It's hopeless. Everything is made in China. You will be assimilated!" :) In fact, I like Pat Benatar's take on the matter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GTFfHkpEF4

Listen to her lyrics real closely. ;)

Ali Baba has anything you want. You just have to order 1000 units minimum.

It's good to make one's voice heard at least. It certainly can't hurt, and may even help to some degree. If enough people did it, it could definitely have an effect.

Thanks—I'll check them out.
I complained about the garlic from China at the local grocery store (although I technically live in Ottawa, I live outside of a small village that is part of the City)...now the grocery store carries garlic from Ontario, Argentina, and California. It costs more than the garlic from China, but it seems there are enough people buying it because the store has been carrying garlic from other sources for over a year now. Whenever I buy garlic, I make sure to mention to the checkout person that I appreciate that I have a choice of buying garlic that isn't from China. I never plant enough garlic to get through the year!

Last edited:
I have a a Kitchen Aid toaster convection oven i bought at Costco.
I will assume its made in Chine until I can check.
It is a very good little oven. Our big oven gets much less use now that we have the KA convection oven.
I think it was $99.00 on sale?

Back
Top Bottom