"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances
Click Here to Login

Old 07-23-2020, 07:48 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Toaster recommendation

Can anyone recommend a 2-man toaster which toasts rather than bakes bread slices? I guess the elements would be very hot and close to the bread. I like toast which is brown on the outside and soft on the inside. It seems hard to find such a toaster. (i live in the UK)

stephen22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 08:14 AM   #2
Sous Chef

This is the best toaster I have ever owned... excellent for reheating fried food and pizza too.

https://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-NB-.../dp/B008C9UFDI
ScottinPollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 09:02 AM   #3
Master Chef

I agree with you Stephen -

I used to use my toaster oven but eventually realized it was truly just re-baking the bread. My toast just wasn't the same. Went back to my 2 slice toaster.

Cannot help you with a toaster brand. Be sure to find a store that will let you return it if it just does not do the job for you. And let the sales man know that!

You should be able to find a middle priced toaster that will do as you wish.

I think a lower priced will just not do job well and a high priced one is probably just for extra gadgets you don't need and won't use.
Old 07-23-2020, 09:19 AM   #4
Assistant Cook

Thanks for your thoughts folks. My last toaster was the least worst of a whole bunch that I tried in succession - the worst was the most expensive and had an element like the old electric fires with a mirror behind it (Panasonic I think). My best performing toaster is currently in my caravan (trailer) and I think cost £10 from Sainsburys.

If anybody's got any ideas about a specific 2-man toaster brand that's efficient, I'd be so grateful and promise not to sue them.
Old 07-23-2020, 10:35 AM   #5
Master Chef

and the best toaster I can recommend...

although you do have to keep an eye on it. I can positively vouch for them, kids still have mine at the chalet.
Attached Images

Old 07-23-2020, 10:53 AM   #6
Assistant Cook

Cor my mother-in-law had one of those. And it was excellent!
Old 07-23-2020, 11:34 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
When I lived in Copenhagen in the 1970s, I used a toaster like this, but it had wires rather than that mesh.

It did make good toast, but you had to keep an eye on it.

Here's an electric version with a timer, and I found it on a Danish website. That means that it is available in Europe and it runs on 220 Volts.

Old 07-23-2020, 02:41 PM   #8
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

I have a waring commercial model - simple two slot popup toaster - bullet proof and makes great toast. Mine is this commercial one but they make a consumer grade as well. I also ditched my toaster oven a few years ago - all I used it for was toast and it was a large and lousy toaster.

https://www.amazon.com/Waring-WCT702.../dp/B0031DLJ62
Old 07-23-2020, 03:06 PM   #9
Sous Chef

toasters are a crap shoot.
some work. some don't.
the geeks/design 'engineers' apparently never use them.
I've not never yet encountered the goal of a soft/raw interior vs. toasty thru and thru - but there is not accounting for taste.
we have an aging two slicer - it'll be a future challenge to find one that 'toasts like we like it' . . . .

a topic rated at a level +20 to how to soft boil an egg . . .
dcSaute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 05:33 PM   #10
Master Chef

I'm on the boat that likes toasty outside - soft inside.

otherwise why not just eat crackers and rusks?
Old 07-23-2020, 05:55 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

I like it that way too, dragn. I achieve that result with my toaster oven by cutting a thick (about 3/4 inch) slice of bread for toasting. Crunchy outside, soft inside. Yum!
"The essence of America - that which really unites us - is not ethnicity, or nationality or religion - it is an an idea - and what an idea it is: That you can come from humble circumstances and do great things. That it doesn't matter where you came from but where you are going."~ Condoleezza Rice
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 06:06 PM   #12
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
I like it that way too, dragn. I achieve that result with my toaster oven by cutting a thick (about 3/4 inch) slice of bread for toasting. Crunchy outside, soft inside. Yum!
Atta' girl, the boat gets bigger!
Attached Images

Old 07-24-2020, 06:58 PM   #13
Wannabe TV Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post

although you do have to keep an eye on it. I can positively vouch for them, kids still have mine at the chalet.
I remember watching a TV program awhiles back on Food Network or The Cooking Channel ... an old time Lunch Counter, somewhere on the East Coast of USA, that used this toaster for their, what was it now? Toasted Cheese Sandwiches or Cheese Burgers, I forget now!
But it worked beautifully!

Just because something is old, doesn't mean it doesn't work anymore ... DH's still kickin
Kaneohegirlinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 10:50 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post

I just remember that my father-in-law once tried cooking eggs in one of these. Okay, it sounded even worse when they first told the story of Neville trying to cook eggs in a toaster. I had visions of the pop up type of toaster.
Old 07-27-2020, 11:03 AM   #15
Certified/Certifiable

My grandparents, back when I was a child, had this wonderful toaster with a mechanical timer. It was a little lever that you moved, located on the bottom of the toaster side. When the timer mechanism was doe, the toast would pop up.
This made it easy to get the perfect toast every time. Because of my experience with that toaster, and comparing it to toaster which rely on a b--metallic strip to end the toasting cycle, I much prefer the timer approach. Here are samples of toasters with a timer.

https://www.cuisinart.com/shopping/a...sters/cpt-440/

A google search will give your more.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

https://www.wayfair.com/kitchen-tabl...-rhb10023.html

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- https://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is online now   Reply With Quote