Tried searching, what's a good crock pot size?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

siniquezu

Assistant Cook
I read that 3.5 qt is a good size. I'm just looking to feed no more than 4 people.

I have a 6 1/2 quart Cuisinart, and it works very nicely for me. I have a smaller one too, but I like to make a larger amount, and then have it in the refrigerator for several days. So, I use the Cuisinart. I like the stainless steel finish of the cuisinart, as well as its controls. You can set it to low, or high temp, and use any amount of time in either of those settings. On some digital slow cookers, you can only run 2 to 4 hours on high, and 6 to 8 hours on low. The Rivals come to mind here. I recommend that you get one with manual controls and a timer that you can use at your option, which would give you more flexibility.

MrCoffee

I am not sure what size mine is, but it is a large one. 6ish quarts sounds about right. I like the larger size. You can still make a small amount in it, but for times when you want to make a lot you still have that option. The only problem is finding a place to store it. I would also like to get a very small one (like a personal size) for dips and things like that, but it would be too small for anything else. I have seen those for like $15-$20 or so.

I tend to like oversized myself. Then if you have company you can still use your appliances. Removable crocks are a must. Probably standard these days.

I just checked and mine is 6.5.

we bought my mom a crock pot for this Mothers Day. Hers is a bit smaller (4 quart maybe), but we got her the Versi Pot (I think that is the name or at least close to it). What we liked about this one is that the pot part can go in the oven and on the stove top as well so if your recipe calls for browning the meat first then you don't need to dirty up to post. You can brown the meat in the stove top and then move it right to the crock pot part all in the same pan.

I like my large one too... I tend only to use it though for parties and potlucks. I should get a little on to use for when it's just Paulie and I. The one GB just mentioned sounds perfect.

I wouldn't get a small one. You can do a smaller meal in the big one, but not vice-versa. Ours is the 6 qt one from Rival with the removable crock (it was a wedding present - 12 years Sunday and still going strong), and it's not hard to fill it up doing a pot roast or corned beef in it. I like to slow cook on low all day while we are at work, then pour off the stock into a stockpot and cook the veggies, potatoes, etc. in that on the range. :)

Edit: BTW, we are 2 person household, and the 6 qt. cooker is fine for us. :)

Last edited:
I can think of more things that I couldn't cook for 4 in a 3.5-qt crockpot than I can think of things that I can. I would definately go with the 6-qt size.

We are also a 2 person family now. I like my 6 quart crock pot with the removable ceramic dish.I use it quite often.

I have the Rival smart pot and I really like it but I also have the little one that only holds about a quart. I use both of them. The small one seems to cook much quicker so I use it for veggies. I like them both but for different reasons. The large one does take up much room in storage, but we have to sacrifice for some of the things we enjoy.

Crock pots are so cheap that you could just go with two; a smaller one (maybe 3.5 qt) and a 6-8 qt version. As has been said, you can always cook a smaller meal in a large one, but not vice versa. Plus, many cuts of meat will shrink a lot, so you may not have a huge roast or chunk of corned beef at the end, but you need room at the beginning. Plus, a large pot gives you room to stir/move the ingredients around.

Rob Babcock said:
Crock pots are so cheap that you could just go with two
This is assuming you have the room to store them.

Rob Babcock said:
a large pot gives you room to stir/move the ingredients around.
Generally you do not want to lift the lid of the Crockpot once it starts cooking. I have read somewhere (I can't vouch for the validity) that every time you lift the lid you need to add 20-30 minutes of cooking time. I have to admit that depending on what I am making I do lift the lid and give it a quick stir sometimes.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom