Vacuum sealer/FoodSaver, observations-feedback?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jd_1138

Sous Chef
My wife bought one of these about a year ago and I have never opened it. But today I bought about $60 worth of meat (on sale at the local market), so I busted it out and unpacked it.

It's a simple device. Just place the meat in the plastic bag and lock the lid down and push the button. It's automatic and shuts off when done. I think it will save a lot of money in the long run and provide better tasting food.

I think she paid about $55 for it off HSN or QVC. It came with about 50 bags. I can see this being useful for other uses besides food. Like if I want to put some items (like nuts/bolts) in a bag and seal it up.

Anyone else have one?

Check out their website. You can foodsaver just about anything! I love mine.

We often buy bulk beef and pork that we grind ourselves. Along with the sausage making and meat curing we do, the sealer is indispensable.

For about six weeks preceeding Christmas I got an email trying to sell me a Foodsaver, at a 40%, 50%, or 60% discount, depending on the model, every friggin' day. Sorry, no sale.

Unless I need something special for a recipe I am planning immediately, I buy almost all my meats from Omaha Steaks, and their stuff already comes in individually sealed plastic so I really couldn't justify buying one, but I give them credit for being persistent.

Last edited:
I use our FoodSaver for things other than food.

One thing I find it particularly helpful for is to protect heirloom garments, especially baby clothes. We've had a christening gown in the family for generations and it's safely preserved in a vacuum-sealed bag. No moisture or insect nasties can harm it.

I also use it to store some items in my craft area of my studio. Things like paint pens and markers that I don't want to dry out because they aren't used frequently.

Use it when we travel for liquids and meds. Of course, these parcels are opened once we get to our destination but I usually only pack what we'll use so that's not an issue with us.

I've parceled out dry pet foods when someone has had to "babysit" our fur children. That was quite important when one of our kitties had to be on a restricted-portion diet. No error when it came to giving her the proper amount, regardless of who was feeding her.

I'm sure there are more but they don't come to mind right now.

In the outdoors it has many uses, mostly to keep things waterproof such as a survival kit, matches, first aid kits even your cell phones, fire starters. The list goes on and on.

The above are really good ideas for storing non-foods.

I love my foodsaver and use it all the time. It's about 7 or 8 years old now and still going strong. I hope I didn't just jinx it. :ermm::LOL: Right now I have (other than meats, poultry and fish) shredded coconut from a year ago when I made coconut shrimp and have a lot of the coconut left over, mashed fruits for smoothies, several bags of nuts I bought in bulk, blanched veggies, mashed potatoes, soups, etc. I'm cooking for one most of the time and it's so nice to be able to pull a meal out of the freezer, one or two servings at a time. I know the bags are kind of spendy, but I still think I'm coming out ahead with how much fresher food stays.

I have wanted one off and on for years. Periodically I get myself charged up to buy one then realize I don't really need it. So I pass until the next urge arises.

I package frozen foods tightly wrapped to avoid freezer burn, I don't do camping so waterproofing stuff isn't an issue. I don't smoke...

I think, if you have one, you find uses for it.

In the outdoors it has many uses, mostly to keep things waterproof such as a survival kit, matches, first aid kits even your cell phones, fire starters. The list goes on and on.

When we used to go whitewater kayaking, we got reusable waterproof thick plastic bags for those purposes. They're much more cost-effective. We also put moisture absorbers from medication containers in them for extra protection.

Last edited:
I was reading a website for ideas on how to use it. A lady uses hers to package up small snacks for her kids for roadtrips -- like a pack of trail mix, pack of candy, etc.. That would be another way to save money. Gas station snacks are pricey -- $1 to $4 for small bags of treats.

Or buy a larger bag of jerky at Costco and then put smaller portions in the small bags for roadtrips or to take to work. I will have to pick up some small bags. Don't want to waste larger bags for smaller snacks.

I think this is the one we bought.

FoodSaver Vacuum Sealer | hhgregg

Last edited:
I was reading a website for ideas on how to use it. A lady uses hers to package up small snacks for her kids for roadtrips -- like a pack of trail mix, pack of candy, etc.. That would be another way to save money. Gas station snacks are pricey -- $1 to $4 for small bags of treats.

Or buy a larger bag of jerky at Costco and then put smaller portions in the small bags for roadtrips or to take to work. I will have to pick up some small bags. Don't want to waste larger bags for smaller snacks...

I'd use less expensive sandwich bags with zip tops, they're resealable.

It's one of those things that once you get one you don't want to go back. :)

Yes there are way's to preserve foods without one but the ease they provide is worth the expense IMHO. ;)

Check out the Food Saver website. They have a thousand ways to use it that don't include food. I find food lasts almost forever when I vac seal it.

Last edited:
It's one of those things that once you get one you don't want to go back. :)

That's not always true. I had one for several years and then it stopped working. That was at least five years ago and I haven't replaced it. There are less expensive options and I prefer to use reusable items when I can.

Just think.
You can keep your pot stash fresh. ;)

I love my vacuum sealer.
Freezer burn is a thing of the past and I buy things on sale without the worry of being able to use it before it goes bad.

There are loads of uses besides food! Important documents, some people even use them for a change of clothes lol. This list is pretty inventive!

I had one of the earlier models. I found it difficult to use. So I gave it to Spike. He loves it and gets so much use out of it.

But I do want to get another one. I certainly saved money with it. I bought meats that were only on sale and ones that I knew we would use. Food Saver is really a good name for it. But I would call it Food and Money Saver. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom