Viking and the Bosch machines

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nikken007

Assistant Cook
I'm still looking for a mixer (mostly for making bread). I am looking into the Viking 7 quart mixer. Any one have experience with that? How does it compare to KA? Can you make more bread in this than KA's 6 qt.? What do you like about it? I want a machine that I can make 4-6 loaves of bread at one time. Also thinking about the Bosch Concept 7 which claims it can handle 14 pounds of dough.

Any input would be great. Thanks

Don't know about either, but do note that the Viking mixer seems to be the "darling" of the Food Network this season. That or more likely, Viking is paying them a pretty good sum of money to use their product.

Need to look at the Viking better, but when I did see it, it didn't seem to cream butter as well as the KA does. Looked like the beater is too far away from the side of the bowl. Maybe it was my imagination, but it would be something to watch for. I think it was Emeril who used it.

While on Egullet recently, there was a couple of posts stating the Viking was a hunk of junk.

But I don't know those guys, so take it with a grain of salt.

Welcome to the board, nikken.

Fourteen pounds of dough is a lot of mass to mix, moreover knead by machine or man. For that reason alone, in addition to looking at any and all information you can obtain about Viking, I'd also suggest you do research into commercial machines...those tried and true workhorses that have proven themselves to be strong and reliable. Then compare.

Viking makes some nice and downright gaudily expensive ovens that I covet, but I didn't know that they had branched out into mixing equipment, as well. I'll keep my KA 6-quart that makes two-loaf batches admirably.

Very best of luck to you!

Nikken...from my restaurant days...if you want to make 4-6 loaves of bread at a time, I recommend that you seriously look at a commercial mixer....for size and power. If you check with most I think you could buy a used hobart machine for very reasonable. Alot of the hobart commercial machines out there may look like tanks...but they keep on workin!!! The biggest problem with trying to use even a 6qt KA is that you would be pushing the motor to its max if you could even get enough flour in the bowl!

choclatechef said:
While on Egullet recently, there was a couple of posts stating the Viking was a hunk of junk.

But I don't know those guys, so take it with a grain of salt.

Boy, you are not kidding! I checked out that place and they sure don't like the Viking.

What's egullet and what is the address?

Thanks for everyones posts. I may just have to make less bread at a time more often or make a few dough batches in a day. I don't think I can afford even a used commercial mixer. I am hoping to use my discover cashback (doubled) to pay for it. I may just pay for an old KA/Hobart on ebay.

Wish I knew more about the bosch mixers. Where would I go to learn more?

It's another discussion group. Seems like there are a lot of professionals and pretentious people there.

http://forums.egullet.org/

Specifically, the discussion about the Viking is at:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=55530

They also talk about other mixers in that discussion, so that may be of help to you. Sounds like the new KA mixers are lacking in quality control, but customer support seems excellent and eventually everybody is satisfied with their KA.

Back
Top Bottom