Want to buy a commercial refrigerator...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CookLikeJulia

Senior Cook
Hi everyone :chef:

I would like to buy a commercial refrigerator for my basement. I'm an avid cook thinking of starting a home-based catering business, which I'm really excited about.

I found a few good ones on Katom's website: Shop Commercial Refrigeration at KaTom Restaurant Supply, Inc. - 1-800-541-8683

Does anyone have any suggestions as to which brand is the best? Thanks for any and all tips!

Happy cooking...

I'm not sure about comercial breands, but questin I have, what kind of electricity does it use? I mean 110 or 220?

I wouldn't be worried about brands. Just check out what the local restaurant suppliers have in stock used. Restaurants fail on a daily basis, makes it easy to get great deals on equipment.

Before investing in any equipment, you might want to check on potential zoning issues and fire regulations associated with commercial equipment. DC can be pretty stiff on those sorts of things. A friend of mine ended up renting a church's kitchen during the week to open his catering business. Monday through Friday he worked out of the kitchen and when necessary worked out of his truck on the weekends.

Hi everyone :chef:

I would like to buy a commercial refrigerator for my basement. I'm an avid cook thinking of starting a home-based catering business, which I'm really excited about.

I found a few good ones on Katom's website: Shop Commercial Refrigeration at KaTom Restaurant Supply, Inc. - 1-800-541-8683

Does anyone have any suggestions as to which brand is the best? Thanks for any and all tips!

Happy cooking...

Before you purchase any commercial equipment for your home-based business, be sure to check whether it is legal in your town to operate a business out of your home where you are preparing and selling food.

I'm pretty sure it is not "kosher" in Washington D.C. to do that, but check the laws.

That said, I would be looking for auctions of restaurant equipment. Especially in this economy, you should be able to pick up a good unit, in excellent condition (maybe even 2nd cousin to new) for pennies on the dollar. Restaurants are closing right and left... :(

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom