What Accessories Do You Have For Your KitchenAid Mixer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WhateverYouWant

Sous Chef

For me, it is:

1.) Pasta Roller - At the recommendation of someone here I gave this a try. It is a beast, and so much fun. I rarely use my extruder machine anymore as I can get so much of a better dough made and rolled out with this as extruder dough tends to need to be stiffer and dryer. Plus it is WAY faster and easier to clean up afterwards.

2.) Meat Grinder - Got this free with the Mixer. I don't eat meat that often, by I like a mix of sirloin and chuck for my chilis and burgers. This is kinda slow going, but it gets the job done. A bit more work but noticeably better than supermarket bought ground beef.

But this thing has upped my Falafel game considerably. I used to make it in the food processor, but this extracts so much more juice from the aromatics, the mixture is just so much more flavorful and holds it shape better. No measuring, no prep... I just alternate dribbling in chickpeas, garlic cloves, herbs, onion quarters, repeat and it comes out fabulous. Since discovering this I think I'm gonna try it with salsa next time.

3.) Citrus Juicer - This is a third party unit, but I can't tell the difference from the original. It is actually easier to clean than my little hand unit and really reams "all" the juice out of my citrus.

4.) 3 Qt Bowl - I am usually a small batch guy and this generally works better than the 5 Qt bowl that came with my Artisan.

5.) Scraper Paddle - Original KitchenAid model I bought for cheescake, but it works well with other sticky/gooey stuff. Doesn't totally remove the need to scrap down the bowl, but usually limits it to just one time.

So what do you have... and how do you like it?

LOL.... My KitchenAid mixer arrived late in my life.

I already had a pasta extruder, which at the same price as one for the mixer, ain't going to be exchanged non-too soon. Although, I admit, I would love not to really have to crank it by hand.

Meat grinder - one of the first ones ever on the market. As I rarely grind meat - this also is not on my wish list.

I also have a juicer that attaches to my ancient Sunbeam Mixer (umm... early 60's).

Scraper paddle - wish list if it falls out of the sky.

3quart - most definetly! but covid restraints have shot down running out to find/buy one.

I actually don't have any accessories for my KA. It's about 18-20 years old.

If I was looking, I'd go for the all metal meat grinder with the sausage stuffing accessory.

I had a metal meat grinder for my KA back in the 70s, when I first got it, and in my second year in college, someone stole it! I didn't even know anyone else that had a KA! I waited until a few years later, but when I went to look for another one, there were only plastic ones made. I got one, but it slowly developed a crack in the side (I see they make metal ones now, so this must have happened to others), so it only lasted about 10 years - then I got a self standing metal meat grinder, which I still have.

I used to have one of those "food processor" attachments, with the cone shaped things that sliced, or shredded, but I got rid of that when I got an actual food processor!

That scraper blade I got when they first came out, and it works great! Strange thing was, when I got my new one a little over a year ago, it came with a scraper blade, but it didn't work as well as the one I had before! This is really the only thing I have now, that could be considered an accessory.

Gosh, I hadn't thought about that question before....

I have the 3 mixing blades that came with mine,
the balloon whisk, dough hook and the paddle,
that DH bought me probably 30 years ago.
Not too long ago, I bought one of those blades with
the scraper attached to it, love that!
Oh yeah, when it first came out, oh I don't know when,
DH bought me the set for pasta: roller, spaghetti and fettuccini cutters.
I can't recall if I've ever tried the spaghetti cutter before.

Anywhos, I'm good with those attachments. :chef:

We now only have the Spiralizer and Sheeter. Since we now have a designated grinder, we gave the KA one to DD.

I have a variety of beaters plus these things I never use:

Sausage grinder/stuffer
Pasta cutter
Shredder/slicer
1 quart bowl

I have a second full size bowl that I use constantly

I remember way back in the 70s they had a grain mill for the KA, but the cost was more than double what my mixer cost, so I never really thought any more about it. They stopped making them, but I looked just to see, and they have one now! And it actually costs less than it did back then, though it's smaller than what I remember. Not something I need - I just got thinking about it, when I moved my mill earlier.

I only have the meat grinder (which I only used a few times) and a copper bowl insert (I don't think they make them anymore) that I use when whipping egg whites. I just recently bought the beater blade that I will use when making Christmas cookies this year.

Where to start...metal meat grinder w/extra grinding plates, grain mill, tho' I don't use it and should pass it on, beater blade (yes!), stainless steel dough hook, extra bowls, pelican head with all four disks, pour chute/shield, water jacket, snap on lids for mixer bowls, basic 3 pasta rollers. K5SS...and a Hobart N50 (N50 has it's own stainless steel flat beater and dough hook), so everything but beaters and pouring chute fit both, but I also have an old tinned steel pouring chute for the N50, goes with the pelican head to shred and slice right into the bowl. Oh, and teak gearshift knobs on the bowl lift handles. I'm as mixed up as can be.

Last edited:

…Meat Grinder - this thing has upped my Falafel game considerably. I used to make it in the food processor, but this extracts so much more juice from the aromatics, the mixture is just so much more flavorful and holds it shape better. No measuring, no prep... I just alternate dribbling in chickpeas, garlic cloves, herbs, onion quarters, repeat and it comes out fabulous. Since discovering this I think I'm gonna try it with salsa next time.

Big mistake. Last night I made a small batch of salsa and decided I'd try the grinder. I used two tomatoes, one jalapeno, 'bout half an onion, and two tight handfuls of cilantro. While the output of this via a knife or a course food processor chop, when doctored with some salt, the juice of half a lime, a dash of cumin and two dashes of chili powder (and about a tablespoon of tomato paste and a dash of agave syrup - if your tomatoes aren't great) usually results in an amazing salsa, what I got from the grinder (even with the large disc) had lousy texture and was quite bitter. It was still edible, but I am guessing that the grinder's processing of the onion (almost juicing it) was the problem.

While this wasn't an issue with the much drier mix of the falafel, it is definitely a no-no with salsa.

Big mistake. Last night I made a small batch of salsa and decided I'd try the grinder. I used two tomatoes, one jalapeno, 'bout half an onion, and two tight handfuls of cilantro. While the output of this via a knife or a course food processor chop, when doctored with some salt, the juice of half a lime, a dash of cumin and two dashes of chili powder (and about a tablespoon of tomato paste and a dash of agave syrup - if your tomatoes aren't great) usually results in an amazing salsa, what I got from the grinder (even with the large disc) had lousy texture and was quite bitter. It was still edible, but I am guessing that the grinder's processing of the onion (almost juicing it) was the problem.

While this wasn't an issue with the much drier mix of the falafel, it is definitely a no-no with salsa.

Did you take the seeds out of the jalapeno? Maybe the grinder ground the seeds and that's where the bitter comes from. I have never found that onion causes bitter flavours when put through the meat grinder.

Did you take the seeds out of the jalapeno? Maybe the grinder ground the seeds and that's where the bitter comes from. I have never found that onion causes bitter flavours when put through the meat grinder.
Yes... removed the seeds and ribs.

Back
Top Bottom