What is the best rice cooker?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a Krups rice cooker/crock pot/steamer I bought at Le Gourmet Chef's "we can't afford the new rent" sale about 6 years ago and it has functioned perfectly for cooking rice and steaming everything that needed steaming. I've even put a collapsible steamer basket inside and steamed two things at once. I have never used it as a slow cooker because I have an old Rival crock pot that actually slow cooks on low without percolating. I have never been disappointed by anything I have purchased with the Krups name on it.

YeWBORewByHdxRd__Lh14Tmo-913q2xOxPL7S3IQ6swybznJd3a30kv3EXJZNKrskcPE_vsFjceEPZnUdyGcb8RE-abGAow3zu8lhpxBN3zIrKLqbIHEKDc2-U9vBY-DP7gv-ui4Cawe

The outdoor chef,

What problems have you had?

Like bacon, the best non-rice cooker way of cooking it is in the oven.

Robert

I have a cheapie Panasonic and it works great. I think it was 15 bucks at Amazon. Lots of good ratings. You just don't want to leave the rice "warm" too long or it will brown on the bottom. It beats a pan on the stove and I wasn't ready to spend the money on a zoji.

The outdoor chef,

What problems have you had?

Like bacon, the best non-rice cooker way of cooking it is in the oven.

Robert
Rice always seemed under cooked, Or it doesn't have the fluff like it should when you take a fork to it.

And how can you brown the rice before you cook it in a ricer?

Rice always seemed under cooked, Or it doesn't have the fluff like it should when you take a fork to it.

And how can you brown the rice before you cook it in a ricer?

You need to add a bit more water if it seems under cooked.

Please explain, "brown the rice"...:)

The Outdoor Chef,

As was said, you need to add a little more water. Rice cookers cook to aldentay(sp?), which I don't. Care for either so I add an extra 1/4 cup water or broth when I cook rice. This would be for 1 cup raw rice, 1-1/4 cup water and 1 tsp. salt. That would be the 1 cup liquid with the extra 1/4 cup.

Robert

Thank you for the advice everyone.

Brown the rice.

Ingredients.

1. 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil.
2.3 Tablespoons butter "Amish is good"
3.1/4 to a half cup of Coconut shreds.

Melt the butter as the oil heats up.
Add the rice and the coconut.

Toast each ingredient "until you see a golden brown hue on each ingredient."
Add the chicken Stock.

Keep adding the stock and stirr until you have "risotto"

Thank you for the advice everyone.

Brown the rice.

Ingredients.

1. 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil.
2.3 Tablespoons butter "Amish is good"
3.1/4 to a half cup of Coconut shreds.

Melt the butter as the oil heats up.
Add the rice and the coconut.

Toast each ingredient "until you see a golden brown hue on each ingredient."
Add the chicken Stock.

Keep adding the stock and stirr until you have "risotto"

LOL! In that case you are not just cooking rice, you are making risotto. Rice cookers are more utilitarian. You can add flavors, veggies, etc., but in the end, you are still just steaming the rice.

You could brown first and then add it to the cooker with the stock...I would:)

LOL! In that case you are not just cooking rice, you are making risotto. Rice cookers are more utilitarian. You can add flavors, veggies, etc., but in the end, you are still just steaming the rice.

You could brown first and then add it to the cooker with the stock...I would:)

Yes, you wouldn't use a rice cooker to make risotto, or "brown the rice" as you call it.

Maybe he or she is referring to recipes that call for browning rice first? I have a Panasonic, and I have browned rice in it. You just set it to the "quick" or the "regular" cycle and saute the rice or whatever you want to saute. The you add the other ingredients, close, and reset.

Yes, you wouldn't use a rice cooker to make risotto, or "brown the rice" as you call it.
Actually, I have a rice cooker risotto recipe that turns out amazing results. Some people will tell you it is not possible, but those people have not tasted this version.

Yes, you can brown rice in a rice cooker. Just add the rice and turn it on and stir until it browns. Once it browns then add your liquid and close the cover and start the cooker again.

Also Americas Test Kitchen has a very good no stir risotto recipe. Stirring risotto I think is Harper upon to keep it a gourmet restaurant thing. Arborio rice is going to release it's starch no matter what other wise sushi rice wouldn't be sticky without having to do something to it besides cook it.

Maybe he or she is referring to recipes that call for browning rice first? I have a Panasonic, and I have browned rice in it. You just set it to the "quick" or the "regular" cycle and saute the rice or whatever you want to saute. The you add the other ingredients, close, and reset.

Actually, I have a rice cooker risotto recipe that turns out amazing results. Some people will tell you it is not possible, but those people have not tasted this version.

Yes, you can brown rice in a rice cooker. Just add the rice and turn it on and stir until it browns. Once it browns then add your liquid and close the cover and start the cooker again.

That is really good to know. I'll try it tomorrow.. Can I put dried mushrooms in with the rice?

You sure can, but you will need to account for the liquid they will absorb and add more for the rice.

Let us know how it comes out, PF.
I wonder if I can do that with my little Panasonic cooker. I'll have to Google some recipes.

There are few small appliances that I have to have and those that are must haves I tend to spend a good amount on them for quality. For example Vita-Mix for my blender/food processor/grain mill/ice cream maker. I have a revile counter top oven $300 but I use it more than my big oven. I spent $250 on a toaster so that it would do a good job and last. I got tired of the poor performance and longevity of the cheaper ones. In the end I ended up spending a lot over the years but I have had quality that lasts. Think of your must have small appliances as investments.

Robert

Back
Top Bottom