What is your favorite cooking "gadget?"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When I think of "kitchen gadgets", I think of little tools that fit in a drawer. I have a big flat drawer of gadgets, and these are just some of my favorites. The yellow thingy is a great gadget for cleaning shrimp, the red silicone brush sits on top of a bottle of barbeque sauce for easy basting, and the thingy with the carrot does a fantastic job of giving you perfect julienne sticks. I love the micro plane, patty maker, digital instant read thermometer, and the perfect cheese plane.

img_1039010_0_46c2c940bf648253625bec5e2a19d352.jpg

I used to have that exact thermometer, Kay. Once the first battery died it started going through them like me eating chicken wings. I should have bought another one, but got a Thermapen instead. Mistake on my part.

How does the yellow thingy clean shrimp?

I have 5 or 6 'Mucho Nacho' jalapeno plants in the garden, all producing lovely big fat peppers. I love 'atomic buffalo turds*', and so my favorite gadget right now is a thingie that looks like a potato peeler, but the edges around the blade are serrated. It is a snap to cut off the top of the peppers, zip that little guy around inside, and remove all the seeds and membrane.

I don't know what it is called--it came in a set with a rack for cooking the peppers. (I guess the rack is my second favorite gadget right now!)

* Cored, seeded jalapeno stuffed with cheese and a little smokey, wrapped in bacon and baked or grilled til the bacon is crispy.

Edited to add: it is called a jalapeno corer. Duh. Available from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...x=aps&hvadid=2743304155&ref=pd_sl_jcv7ypnf4_b

Last edited:
I used to have that exact thermometer, Kay. Once the first battery died it started going through them like me eating chicken wings. I should have bought another one, but got a Thermapen instead. Mistake on my part.

How does the yellow thingy clean shrimp?

Pac, that thermometer was kinda acting up the other day.....reading very very slowly. I wondered if I needed a new battery, but then I read to not turn it on until it's inside the meat and that did the trick.
Steve is my "shimp shucker" and he can turn out a pile of shrimp lickty split.
He inserts the pointy end under the shell splitting it, and the bottom of the pointy end is a barb that takes out the poo. :ermm:
It was one of the few kitchen items I let him bring into the marriage and he said he's had it for 30 yrs or more. I've never seen anything else like it.

He inserts the pointy end under the shell splitting it, and the bottom of the pointy end is a barb that takes out the poo. :ermm:
It was one of the few kitchen items I let him bring into the marriage and he said he's had it for 30 yrs or more. I've never seen anything else like it.

Interesting.
I've taken the vein out of uncleaned shrimp before by inserting a skinny skewer into the second "joint" just far enough to catch the vein and lift it out. Then using my thumb to pinch it and remove. That's if I am cooking them in the shell. I think I need to get me one of those gadgets though. It would be nice to split the shell and make for easier peeling.

Interesting.
I've taken the vein out of uncleaned shrimp before by inserting a skinny skewer into the second "joint" just far enough to catch the vein and lift it out. Then using my thumb to pinch it and remove. That's if I am cooking them in the shell. I think I need to get me one of those gadgets though. It would be nice to split the shell and make for easier peeling.

Check it out Pac!! Looks like oxo has one.

Amazon.com: OXO Good Grips Shrimp Cleaner: Kitchen & Dining

Those shells split easier than I thought they would for only using a plastic device.

Those shells split easier than I thought they would for only using a plastic device.

I was surprised the first time I saw one in action. Here in the Southern USA, that's a pretty common gadget, but I've seen about 20 versions of it from stainless steel to very cheap plastic. Some you push, some you draw towards your self. Different shapes and sizes.

They all work better and easier than doing it by hand with a paring knife.

i'm still fascinated my fat separating measuring cup. such a simple concept, but i'm still wowed by it every time, like seeing a magic trick performed. i'm also fond of my no fail wine bottle opener, and my radish decorating doohickey....

I just saw one of those, too, the fat separating measuring cup. Something that I ordered got me a Cooks catalog (or was it Chefs?) sent to me and they had a couple in there. Nifty concept. I like the strainer tops, too.

Beware of the plastic separators. I thought I had one of good quality, but the first time I put hot (but not boiling) liquid in it, it crackled up. We had gotten it at a kitchen store in Michigan, so I couldn't return it.

Beware of the plastic separators. I thought I had one of good quality, but the first time I put hot (but not boiling) liquid in it, it crackled up. We had gotten it at a kitchen store in Michigan, so I couldn't return it.

I put a ziploc in a measuring cup, pour through a strainer into the ziploc, let settle, then lift the bag out and snip the corner with a pair of scissors.
That is, when I want to remove the flav... err, fat. :angel:

Michigan doesn't take returns? Or are you not from Michigan, Dawg?

pacanis said:
I put a ziploc in a measuring cup, pour through a strainer into the ziploc, let settle, then lift the bag out and snip the corner with a pair of scissors.
That is, when I want to remove the flav... err, fat. :angel:

Michigan doesn't take returns? Or are you not from Michigan, Dawg?

Haha! No, we aren't from there. But there is a fantastic kitchen store in Manitowauk. Except for their fat separators.

I've got my eye on the FoxRun5597-GravySeparator. Made of borosilicate glass with a vented silicone lid. I'm not sure how the silicone lid will hold up, but the separator itself looks pretty good.

I was hoping someone here already has this one so I could ask them about it.

413VBYMGHlL._SS500_.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom