What temp do you set your freezer to?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

suziquzie

Chef Extraordinaire
We have a very large (and very full!) chest freezer. My husband just fixed it, he had splashed some salt water into the digital pad on the top about 2 years ago, and it was running constantly.... I won't tell you what that did to our electric bill. I don't know why we waited so long to find the problem and get it fixed.
Anyway, the temp in there was at about -15 or -20, so its not going to come up much anytime soon, but I can't even remember what it should be set to. I say 0, he says 10 above.

As long as it is set below freezing then you are all set. Also no not forget that the more full the freezer is the more efficient it is. If it is only partially full then Put some bags of ice or bottles of water or something in there to take up some space.

I keep mine at a below zero temperature - around 10 below. Colder temperatures are better for long term storage. The freezer on top of (or beside or under) your fridge needs to be about zero.

LOL I'd say it's full. I am not allowed to buy any more turkeys when they go on sale. He found 4 whole ones and a breast. 2 hams. More pizzas than i care to admit to.....

At least at 0°F and lower if possible, depending on your freezer. The lower the temperature the better the longevity and protection of your food. Refrigerators should be below 40°F but above freezing (32°F)

Incorrect or inconsistent storage temperature can cause changes in taste, texture, appearance, nutrient content, and safety of the foods consumed. All food has bacteria. Refrigerators slow down bacterial growth. Freezers stop growth. It is important to note that freezershttp://www.essortment.com/food/foodstorageref_sapw.htm# do not kill bacteria. When the food is thawed, the bacteria will resume growth.

Yes, I also keep both the frigde's freezer and the chest freezer set a 0. 0 or below, like some of you said, IS the ideal temp for peace of mind and extra insurance against sood spoilage.

To be sure, I keep a thrmometer in both.

i went down and snuck the temp to -5. if he has a prob with it i'll just throw him in there too!!!

i went down and snuck the temp to -5. if he has a prob with it i'll just throw him in there too!!!

Haha!!:LOL:

I love your two comments - this one and the one above where you say that you have 4 turkeys stored in the freezer! It made me laugh and it was so entertaining!:LOL:

Yeah, mine is full also. Last weekend, I DID HOWEVER, managage to cram two racks of babyback ribs, a fresh shoulder and ten drumsticks into both freezers.

Ignore the thumbs down sign. It was pressed accidentally and it won't go away.

Now there DEFINITELY IS NO ROOM for anything else. I know how it is. I have to stay away from the meat section. Seems that's what I keep most of in the freezers.

Last edited:
Neither can I. I'm like a kid in a candy store!

My mom always told me that if there's a snowstorm outside, as long as you have plenty of food, you're ok.

Last edited:
well she was right 'cuz it's snowing and nobody is starving tonight!

That's the idea!

So let hubby complain all he wants to. He'll get over it and will soon come to realise that he married a very smart budget-minded lady!:)

he make about 6 times more than me, you'd think he's appreciate it more!!!

Tell him this; That you don't miss your water 'til the well runs dry. Hope he's saving it for a rainy.........., oops, in this case, a snowy day.:LOL:

Both freezers are REALLY filled up now! Just put some more food in them.

Here's a twist; Had to put a piece of duct tape on the refrigerator's freezer door because packages were making it pop open!! Got up to go get some soda and found the door open. The food had started thawing out!!!:ohmy:

Over to the chest freezer; had to put some small bags of leftovers in there, but the lid just wouldn't close all the way. It was slightly ajar. So I just hauled over one of the heavy stand mixers and plopped it on the freezer to add some weight and keep the lid down and closed completely. Problem solved!:)

Didn't have to lower the temp in either one.

Last edited:
Freezer manufacturers recommend zero. That's what I've always kept mine at. No matter how full it is, it still should be set at zero. The freezer just doesn't go on as often when it's full. If you can't keep a full freezer, then fill some plastic gallon jugs with water to keep the unit from using too much power by going on often.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom