What's with prices?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gage

Senior Cook
Just trying to figure out appliance pricing. How the heck can a hobart N-50 mixer be $ 2035.11 from every store that sells them. A few stores may sell for more but none are lower than 2035.11 . How can that be? They can't all have the exact same markup and overhead can they ? Even competition region to region ( differing tax regimes and shipping )should distort prices ,shouldn't . I've been watching for a good used one but do prefer to see and run used items , just worry about being ripped.
So is this price matching a result of the A--Internet price matches or B-- some sort of price fixing by the manufacturer or ,C --Other causes.
Anyone got a clue for me? anyone see this happening with other stuff ?
regards Gage

Hobart makes the retailer agree not to discount their products below a certain price. A number of manufacturers do this. You often get discount coupons from a store and in the fine print it says, "Does not include: Hobart, Henckels, Wusthof, Krup", etc.

Why? Probably so their products can be viewed as the best of the best. So good they never need to be discounted to sell.

Last edited:
Hobart makes the retailer agree not to discount their products below a certain price. A number of manufacturers do this. You often get discount coupons from a store and in the fine print it says, "Does not include: Hobart, Henckels, Wusthof, Krup", etc.

Why? Probably so their products can be viewed as the best of the best. So good they never need to be discounted to sell.
Same thing with Webber products (at least Grills). When I worked a ACE Hardware, Webber has an agreement with its retailers they cannot sell below a certain price.

If I had the bucks I wouldn't mind paying that for the best spiral mixer for home use.
Since I don't I'm seriously thinking about the Bosch Universal Plus mixer for my pizza doughs. My hand kneading sucks.

Back
Top Bottom