Which Gas Cooktop?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jazzy1

Assistant Cook
I have been reading up on the good and the bad of cooktops such as Wolf, Viking, DCS and others. So much data :wacko:

I am in the process of having a new kitchen put in and the cooktop that I saw that appealed to me was a Wolf 4 burner gas cooktop with built in grill.

I really am not married to the idea of Wolf per se, however there aren't that many choices for what I want in less expensive options. My concern is that after spending a lot of money, you wind up with something that will require many service calls.

Any suggestions?

I'd focus as much on your local dealers as the brand. All of those are great stoves assuming they're installed and maintained correctly. Having a dealer with a good service department and a strong reputation in the community is your best assurance that you'll be happy with whatever you choose.

I'd say strat with consumer repert. You are looking in the high grade appliences, unfortunately even they have problems. Check your local dealer, as sugested above, and check waranties.

One of the local dealers who carry Wolf, Viking, Thermador etc is steering me towards the Wolf.

He says he gets more service calls for Viking products than Wolf.

One of the local dealers who carry Wolf, Viking, Thermador etc is steering me towards the Wolf.

He says he gets more service calls for Viking products than Wolf.

and he is correct. He probably gets more calls for Viking than for all the others put together.

I would say you are making a wise choice with Wolf. I have found it to be a reliable product, and the company to be reliable over the years.

No, I don't have a Wolf, and the main reason I don't is I live in a mid-rise apartment building, and the ventilation is fine for my JennAir, but for a product as powerful as Wolf, it would be a safety issue for the building. Wolf ranges belong in houses or commercial kitchens.

I wish I could have one!

BTW: one of my close friends recently installed a Wolf range in her new kitchen. (She previously had a Viking in her former house, and was calling service ever other month.

Last edited:
Wolf has excellent customer service. (I have one) I've never really had to use it for repair, but for calibration and advice. But they have 24/7 call in to real people.

Yes you need good ventilation (to the outside)

The Wolf you mention is a rangetop...(the top section of one of their ranges) not just a drop in cook top.

Things to remember. These are pieces of cooking equipment. They do not come with a lot of the bells and whistles that "stoves have". And they do require cleaning. (the cast iron grates are heavy and do not "pop in the dishwasher". Your indoor grill will put grease on your cooking area no mater what ventilation you have.) That said, if you really cook, it's worth it.

If it is blast furnace heat you want (need) then Bluestar is the company to look at. (20,000+ btu burner capacity) If you want more than that, plan for a real industrial stove and have your kitchen reno modified to meet code for such a range. (30,000 or so btu burner capacity)

Induction is another possibility and Wolf makes a fine induction cooktop. Very powerful.

Customer support is very important. All things can potentially break down, and if that should happen you don't want to get the run around.

I have to keep the ventilation system in mind when budgeting for this as well. My wife and I do a lot of cooking and entertaining but I do not need an industrial stove. The built in grill really appeals to us as we would use it often.

Hi Jazzy1,
I'm trying to find out what people ended up buying after searching for an oven. Did you end up with a Wolf? I can't afford the Wolf and might get the Electrolux...just not sure what to get. Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom