Which is more efficient? Hot Pot or Kettle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

philipb

Assistant Cook
I've always been curious - which is more energy efficient if you're looking to make a cup or two of tea? An electric hot pot, or putting a kettle on a gas stove?

I prefer using the electric kettle if I have one----a good one is not exactly cheap to find, however. Our landlady has a Tifal Vitesse for us to use and it's great in that it heats water quickly. If it's speed that you want then this brand wins every time.

Electric Kettles are definitely faster - no question there. I was just curious as to how much electricity one uses to heat up one full kettle's worth of water, compared to how much gas is used to heat up a stove-top kettle to boiling.

Everything I've ever read says the electric kettle is more energy efficient than the stovetop model, especially if it has an automatic shutoff once it reaches boiling. It makes sense; a stove burner heats the pot and some heat is lost to the air while the electric kettle has elements in the water itself.

I put my water in the microwave most of the time. Otherwise, I run the water through the coffeemaker. To keep the water from having any coffee taste in it, remove the filter basket, remove the little round pee thing (whatever it's called that sprays water into the basket), and use a 4-cup glass measuring cup for the water to pee into. The coffee pot sometimes tastes like coffee. I then pour myself a cup of hot water and put my tea bag in it. I also like this method when I'm using my small, ceramic teapot. I've got plenty of water to fill my pot and let a tea bag set in it to brew. Then my cup also is filled with water and a tea bag sets in it to brew. A lot of the time, I use the same tea bag. I first put it into the cup and then let it set in the teapot longer.

Darlene

Back
Top Bottom