Who Owns a Rice Cooker?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, I could have ordered an elcheapo cooker, but I didn't want that, and I was too afraid to settle for one of those for fear that it wouldn't work after a while.

Though I would have liked to get a slightly larger unit, up goes the price. And I just couldn't see spending $150.00 to $200.00 just for a rice cooker.

I gave mine away last year! I prefer the rice cooked in a sand pot and the pot is smaller and more versatile than the rice cooker, hence, easier to store.

I guess an electric rice cooker can be handy for a big family, or when you are organized enough to think ahead about what to do with all the left over rice afterwards (you may not be in a mood for a fried rice every time after you made some other rice dish the day before...).

However for two of us, cooking 1 cup of rice is enough each time. So we use a rice cooking ball like below...

It works great, the thing I like the best is much easier to wash than a sieve with full of rice getting stuck in between the grooves after straining!

I received a Zoshiroushi "Two To Go" travel mug coffeemaker as a gift once. What a piece of CRAP! It never made decent coffee, it leaked all over the counter, and it never filled the cups evenly, so one travel mug would overflow while the other was only half full. I hope they know more about making rice than they do about making coffee, Corey. Wait, they'd have to know more about making rice, because they know absolutely NOTHING about making coffee!

I have a 6 cup Aroma brand rice cooker I bought about 5 years ago at Rite-Aid drug store for less than 25 bucks because my 15year old Hitachi crapped out right in the middle of making dinner. The Aroma had Martin Yan's picture on the box, so I figured "If Yan can cook, so can I!"

Last edited:
The rice cooker that I ordered is enroute and should be here by December 28.

I'll let you know the results after I try it.

Last edited:
Corey123 said:
The rice maker that I ordered is enroute and should be here by December 28.

I'll let you know the results after I try it.

I have two. I first bought the black and decker unit here:
Amazon.com: Black & Decker RC850 24-Cup Rice Cooker and Vegetable Steamer: Home & Garden

Which i do not like at all. The rice that comes out of it is not that great and i make much better rice on the stove. So i ended up going with a higher end rice cooker:
Amazon.com: Sanyo ECJ-D100S 10-Cup Micro-Computerized Rice Cooker/Steamer, White with Stainless Accent: Home & Garden
which is great.

This is a fuzzy logic unit like the Zojirushi but is cheaper and still very highly rated. I like you don't cook that much rice most of the time but i wanted the flexability to cook large amounts of rice for special occasions so i went with the 10 cup unit. This thing cooks excellent rice. From white to brown. If you accidently add to much water the unit seems to compensate and it still comes out perfect. Also the unit is very large but ive cooked only 1 cup of rice in it and it still has came out perfect.

Ncage

I have a ZQJIRUSHT think it is spelled correctly. Love it...with one problem.
Do you eat rice daily? You can make rice and refrigerate I guess. Now it is just the two of us and I do not use it as often. If you use rice frequently and use quantity...it is wonderful. Mine is automatic. And a Japanese friend of mine says "you can use the rice for 5 days".

I don't personally own a rice cooker but I have a good friend who is from the Phillipines and she eats alot of rice. She uses a rice cooker all the time and loves it.

I have always used a rice cooker since we were given one when we first got married..we've gone through 2 cookers over the years..I only one made rice the old fashioned way in a regular pot once, that I can recall....ok, I'll admit I've been spoiled by 'hi-tech'!..rice cookers works great, result in great rice..only one thing one must remember.........plug it in, .............and remember to turn it on!..we've had toshiba, and Sanyo brands: 4-6 cups capacity.

I own a rice cooker it is most intelligent that I ever have and non-stick type. It were the frist stuffs I thought to buy it when I moved to my new home for 4 months. It is able to be timed for cooking within 24 hours and shows us the time when rice cooked. moreover,it is able to cook many kind of rices as e.g..steamed rice, milled rice, rice gruel...and a sort of cake also.. it's brand is Panasonic.

for me, some type of rice cookers are important household appliances that every houses in my country must have.

Last edited:
you are amazed when you know that I paid for it less than 100$ !!!!!

I've heard of those.

I also read somewhere a few years ago, that there is really no time saved with cooking rice in the micrawave over regular stovetop cooking.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom