Why the orange flames?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wanna be

Senior Cook
I have a gas stove that has been acting funny lately.Sometimes all of the burners will have sputtering orange flames that will last for that day.And it will be fine for a week and then do it again and so on.I have looked on the web and found a few things such as worn jets and pluged air intakes as possible causes but this would'nt explain the intermitent problems.I hate to call a repairman who may not see a problem on that particular day.Any help would be great!

If the burners are dirty, they will burn with an off colored flame until the dirt burns away.

wanna be said:
Sometimes all of the burners will have sputtering orange flames that will last for that day. And it will be fine for a week and then do it again and so on.

Call your gas company first...Have them come out and check things out....Orange/yellow flames usually means too much air...Air to gas ratio etc. They may can solve your problem or point you in the right direction! HTH

Thanks for the help.

The gas supply and quality makes alot more sense to me than the ones I metioned before.That would explain the random failures.I just assumed that if it would lite and burn the problem was in my stove.Thanks for the advice, next time it happens I will call the gas company.

Since it is an intermittent problem it could be nothing more than an intermittent condensate/contaminant in the gas supply coming from the gas company. Sometimes oil or other chemicals can get into the supply at the pumping station - sometimes just mixing in too much odorant can cause the problem.

The next time you notice it - check with a neighbor that has a gas stove and see if they are getting the same thing. If so, it pretty much points to being dirty gas. If it is only in your stove - then you might have some other problem.

FWIW: I noticed it more frequently when I lived in Golden than I do down here - but it does still happen here from time to time.

Last edited:
I have a gas stove that has been acting funny lately.Sometimes all of the burners will have sputtering orange flames that will last for that day.And it will be fine for a week and then do it again and so on.I have looked on the web and found a few things such as worn jets and pluged air intakes as possible causes but this would'nt explain the intermitent problems.I hate to call a repairman who may not see a problem on that particular day.Any help would be great!

Dirty burners or... air in the gas. Occasionally in high demand, the gas can get a bit of air in it. Check your air vents on the intake venturi tubes(openings below the burner).

You don't want to call the repairman ?????? That's okay ,but try to memorize this--- " 911 - I want an ambulance and firetruck "

Gas can be a dangerous cooking medium!! You need to call the gas company right now and chat with them even if the problem is not currently showing up.

Better safe than sorry!!

Are you on bottled gas (propane) or a commercial natural as line?

Dieing to cook.

You don't want to call the repairman ?????? That's okay ,but try to memorize this--- " 911 - I want an ambulance and firetruck "
That was great!! I guess I should have my stove checked out to see if there is something wrong with it.Thanks to all of you for the advice.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom