Will I be happy with a KitchenAid mixer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh sure.. rub it in.

Though, to be honest I really have no issues with the KA (600 Pro) but the Hobart would be nice escalation.

Ask Gadzooks. Once you have a Hobart, you will never go back to a KA.:angel:

I have used Hobarts (the big ones on the floor). I looked at them to start with but they really are way more spendy (new) than what I ended with, by a factor of 7. My KA has done everything I have asked of it without complaint.

The only time it is a problem is when I don't have enough in the bowl. I found with a large scale Hobart that issue happens as well, just a different scale.

And besides, the red is dead sexy on the counter. :mrgreen:

I have used Hobarts (the big ones on the floor). I looked at them to start with but they really are way more spendy (new) than what I ended with, by a factor of 7. My KA has done everything I have asked of it without complaint.

The only time it is a problem is when I don't have enough in the bowl. I found with a large scale Hobart that issue happens as well, just a different scale.

And besides, the red is dead sexy on the counter. :mrgreen:

I find the scraping beater a really valuable accessory, specially with smaller batches.

I thought about one of those, or one can just make bigger batches. :LOL:
Oh, I make big batches, but this even helps with them. I never thought I'd like it but there is no turning back now - one of my better buys! Um batter buys? :ermm: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Ask Gadzooks. Once you have a Hobart, you will never go back to a KA.:angel:

Amen...fortunately, I am not likely to wear my N50 out in my lifetime. I have caught wind of another Hobart 5qt. countertop mixer, very sleek and modern-looking, that was only made briefly as a possible replacement for the N50. Even saw one (very pretty) for sale on Ebay. Came with wire whisk, non-flat flat beater, dough hook, pastry knife and bowl. Don't know anything else about them, and couldn't save the picture from Ebay, or I'd post it. I should add that I only have an N50 because I got an incredible deal...I would not have gone out looking for one on my budget, my KA was just fine.

I've had my ka artisan 5 qt mixer for 2 years now and love it. I use it to make pizza dough, cakes, cookies.....

There is a Hobart M-50 five quart mixer on eBay auction at $299.00 right now. Says free shipping, with bowl but no attachments and "works great". Lots of K5 and K45 machines there too. Not mine, never seen it.

Yes, you will be very happy with the KichenAId mixer and regret if you did not buy the real thing. I love mine for 15 years now and couldn't do without. This truly is a high quality mixer and will be a hugh asset :)

Hello everyone, I could use some advice from some more experienced bakers. I'm looking lustfully at the KA Artisan mixer and wondering if I'll regret it. They are horrendously expensive here in Australia, but anything else won't look as pretty in my little country kitchen and will therefore get hidden away (and used less). I've also read that they aren't the first choice for serious bread bakers, and I'm wondering whether that should bother me.

I've just bought an Esse wood-fired oven/heater which will be running all winter, essentially giving me a 'free' oven to use. I plan to bake my own bread (and pizza, and pastry, and merinques etc), and I generally prefer wholemeal, wholegrain and light rye styles of bread. I have no idea how much dough I'll be making at a time, I'm single so I don't see a need for huge loaves, but it is likely they will be from quite dense doughs. The oven isn't massive at 12"W x 13"H x 17"D so I guess I'm limited anyway to one large loaf or maybe two small ones at a time.

So, do you think a KA will keep me happy? :chef:
KA mixers are widely used on television on both American and British cooking programmes on television if you consider this is a good recommendation. People I know who own them speak highly of them and they are indeed, as you say, pretty. I have inherited my Mother's (British)Kenwood Chef which is still going strong after more than 30 years. Not pretty though, in fact. very old fashioned in design. (A secret part of me does lust after a red KA, though:))

Bread and cake do freeze well in the main so even if you live alone it's worth batch baking.

Last edited:
I bought the KA Accolade 400 several years ago. It gets regular use from burger mix to bread dough and has given me no trouble whatsoever. Thoroughly recommended.

I have the same beater, and I wouldn't be without one now. Not only is it good for smaller batches, and scraping the bowl, it is much more efficient at creaming, stuff beats up fluffier and quicker.

I have had my KA Classic for more than twenty years. It sits very proudly on my counter. I also have the scraper and never bring out the regular one that came with it. What I like about the scraper is that it even scrapes right down to the bottom of the bowl. I also have the meat grinder and the pasta maker. For Christmas my son bought me the very expensive glass bowl. It is a five quart with a cover. The Classic is the very low end of the KA line. And mine has made bread, pasta, cakes galore, and so many other things. If mine can stand up to all I have put it through, imagine what yours can do.

Go for it. You will be sorry if you don't. Every so often we have to feed the hunger side of ourselves when we see something we want so badly. Go for it. Today. And if you have tears of joy running down your cheeks, don't be surprised.

And welcome to DC. We have another Aussie folks! Yay! :angel:

I have been drooling after a KA Artisan for a couple of years. A new one in Britain will cost at least £499 ($760) (with very few attachments).

Can't justify it right now, but having seen the endorsements from users, I am definitely going to get one eventually!

In the meantime, I am making do with an ancient but trusty Moulinex hand mixer, a Kenwood Minichef, and a Bamix stick blender.

I have been drooling after a KA Artisan for a couple of years. A new one in Britain will cost at least £499 ($760) (with very few attachments).

Can't justify it right now, but having seen the endorsements from users, I am definitely going to get one eventually!

In the meantime, I am making do with an ancient but trusty Moulinex hand mixer, a Kenwood Minichef, and a Bamix stick blender.
If you are considering paying £499, you should have a look at this Swedish mixer that I am lusting after. In GB, it costs £595. I heard about it here on DC. I don't use the mixer I have very much, but I might use a good one a lot more - enough to justify the price of an expensive unit.

Assistent Original Mixer Range

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom