Will I be happy with a KitchenAid mixer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shreksbro

Assistant Cook
Hello everyone, I could use some advice from some more experienced bakers. I'm looking lustfully at the KA Artisan mixer and wondering if I'll regret it. They are horrendously expensive here in Australia, but anything else won't look as pretty in my little country kitchen and will therefore get hidden away (and used less). I've also read that they aren't the first choice for serious bread bakers, and I'm wondering whether that should bother me.

I've just bought an Esse wood-fired oven/heater which will be running all winter, essentially giving me a 'free' oven to use. I plan to bake my own bread (and pizza, and pastry, and merinques etc), and I generally prefer wholemeal, wholegrain and light rye styles of bread. I have no idea how much dough I'll be making at a time, I'm single so I don't see a need for huge loaves, but it is likely they will be from quite dense doughs. The oven isn't massive at 12"W x 13"H x 17"D so I guess I'm limited anyway to one large loaf or maybe two small ones at a time.

So, do you think a KA will keep me happy? :chef:

I have been using my KA for about 18 years, and wouldn't be without it, I am an avid baker. I mix bread dough in it often, I leave it in there and let the machine knead the dough, so the mixer gets quite a workout.

This machine should serve your "kneads" well :LOL:

I couldn't function in the kitchen without mine. I have the meat grinder attachment and use it a lot. I also like the bread making/kneading function more than I can say.

Check out Chefs Catalog. They had a really sweet sale on KAs a while back.

Wish I'd kept my grandma's after she passed. I think it was sold at auction.

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick replies! I guess I should mention that I'm looking at the regular 5qt model. I've seen a few comments criticizing its wholewheat dough capacity, but I can't work out whether that would be an issue for me with the batch sizes I'd be looking at. Any idea how much wholewheat bread I could make comfortably in a single batch?

I know its terribly superficial but I can't stop drooling over the polished chrome version of this mixer, I reckon it will look great next to the chrome lids of the wood stove. The chrome finish has been discontinued apparently but I've found a dealer with a couple left, which is why I'm now hopping from foot to foot wringing my hands wondering whether to pull the trigger.

I just need someone to talk me into it (or out of it?) :mrgreen:

We've used ours so much, I've replaced a nylon gear for the planetary and have a spare " just in case"!

Craig

Thanks for the quick replies! I guess I should mention that I'm looking at the regular 5qt model. I've seen a few comments criticizing its wholewheat dough capacity, but I can't work out whether that would be an issue for me with the batch sizes I'd be looking at. Any idea how much wholewheat bread I could make comfortably in a single batch?

I know its terribly superficial but I can't stop drooling over the polished chrome version of this mixer, I reckon it will look great next to the chrome lids of the wood stove. The chrome finish has been discontinued apparently but I've found a dealer with a couple left, which is why I'm now hopping from foot to foot wringing my hands wondering whether to pull the trigger.
I just need someone to talk me into it (or out of it?) :mrgreen:
I have the slightly smaller "ultra power"(the midgrade model before the Artisan came out) and I can do batches that yield 2 loaves or around 8 cups of flour, that batch is pushing its limits though, my bowl is 4.5 quarts.

I too just got a KA. I won a 6-quart pro series and am in awe. I have wanted one of the smaller ones for years and can't wait to start using it. Anyone know of a board dedicated solely to KA products or the mixer?

I'm very pleased with my Professional 5. My main use is bread making, and it handles heavy dough well. The range of speeds is very wide. It does the bread. The food processor does the pasta.

I would... if someone wanted to give me one of those nice table top Hobarts. Otherwise.. not gonna happen. :LOL:

I was given a used KA45, which I horse traded to a K5. One day I walked in to a thrift store here in town and found a Hobart N50 for...$7 + sales tax. I gave the lady a five and three ones and told her to keep the change. She replied, "Are you sure? It's half a buck." As soon as I had the beaters and bowl, I gave the K5 to a friend.

Oh sure.. rub it in.

Though, to be honest I really have no issues with the KA (600 Pro) but the Hobart would be nice escalation.

Back
Top Bottom