Will I be happy with a KitchenAid mixer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I find the scraping beater a really valuable accessory, specially with smaller batches.

I saw one long before KA came out with theirs. My biggest gripe with KA has always been having to stop and scrape down the bowl. I have always considered that a design flaw of an otherwise great product. I couldn't get on line fast enough to order one. I must have had that for a whole year before KA came out with theirs. It not only scrapes the sides, but folds in the ingredients. It is similar to the KA Sideswipe. I don't remember the name of the company I bought it from. But they also had ones to fit the attachment shank for every make of mixer. I wish KA would make that paddle the one that comes with the mixer instead of the one that makes you stop and scrape constantly. :angel:

I saw one long before KA came out with theirs. My biggest gripe with KA has always been having to stop and scrape down the bowl. I have always considered that a design flaw of an otherwise great product. I couldn't get on line fast enough to order one. I must have had that for a whole year before KA came out with theirs. It not only scrapes the sides, but folds in the ingredients. It is similar to the KA Sideswipe. I don't remember the name of the company I bought it from. But they also had ones to fit the attachment shank for every make of mixer. I wish KA would make that paddle the one that comes with the mixer instead of the one that makes you stop and scrape constantly. :angel:

Mine is the Beater Blade brand and I'd never be without one! I was shocked at how sturdy it is for being plastic. I've had mine for probably close to 5 years now and it is still in excellent shape.

Mine is the Beater Blade brand and I'd never be without one! I was shocked at how sturdy it is for being plastic. I've had mine for probably close to 5 years now and it is still in excellent shape.

My blade is silicone and just rinses off so quickly if I need it for a different food. The frame is hard plastic. :angel:

My blade is silicone and just rinses off so quickly if I need it for a different food. The frame is hard plastic. :angel:

Sounds like the Beaterblade.

This is what mine looks like except the plastic frame is more clear/opaque than white.

61D-m6A%2BXdL._SL1500_.jpg

I finally invested in one of these. Used it for the first time the other day, and I'm in love. I did pay the higher price for the genuine KA one. After reading the reviews on Amazon, there were a lot of comments with the plastic ones breaking, while the all metal (except for the scraper) KA beater got a lot of raves. For something like that which has to survive a lot of torque when mixing thick batters, I'm more trusting of the metal one.

Google Image Result for http://i-cdn.apartmenttherapy.com/uimages/kitchen/2008_01_17-SideSwipe.jpg

This is the one I have. It scrapes the sides and folds at the same time. It also scrapes that hump and all around it that is on the bottom. I never use the flat beater that came with my KA. I have a love affair going on with this one. An it is much cheaper than the KA one. Another plus is that it just rinses off. Ever needed to mix something else in that second bowl? Just rinse this blade off. I am seriously thinking of ordering one for my DIL. She uses her mixer all the time and has the same gripes.

TheKitchn.com
:angel:

Last edited by a moderator:
I finally invested in one of these. Used it for the first time the other day, and I'm in love. I did pay the higher price for the genuine KA one. After reading the reviews on Amazon, there were a lot of comments with the plastic ones breaking, while the all metal (except for the scraper) KA beater got a lot of raves. For something like that which has to survive a lot of torque when mixing thick batters, I'm more trusting of the metal one.

I've had my beaterblade for about 5 years and I haven't been nice to it! It has held together perfectly, I even run it through the dishwasher. Doesn't look much different than it did new.

I was a little hesitant when I saw that it was plastic, but it has held together great, even with heavy cookie dough.

Google Image Result for http://i-cdn.apartmenttherapy.com/uimages/kitchen/2008_01_17-SideSwipe.jpg

This is the one I have. It scrapes the sides and folds at the same time. It also scrapes that hump and all around it that is on the bottom. I never use the flat beater that came with my KA. I have a love affair going on with this one. An it is much cheaper than the KA one. Another plus is that it just rinses off. Ever needed to mix something else in that second bowl? Just rinse this blade off. I am seriously thinking of ordering one for my DIL. She uses her mixer all the time and has the same gripes.

TheKitchn.com
:angel:

I looked at the SideSwipe along with other after market wiping beaters, and none had the almost universal 5 star ratings that the KA Flex received. That is what swayed me. Even the SideSwipe was rated by many users as "fragile". I live in the Bahamas and can't just drop it in the mail to return it, or order another one without going through an importer and paying exorbitant shipping and duty charges, often as much as double the cost of the item itself. For that reason, the real KA all metal Flex beater is by far my best choice. At $28.46 (Amazon), it's not exactly going to break the bank (the SideSwipe is $27.98, and made of plastic).

Can't live without my KA. I have the biggest household use one. All my tools for it are metal. I still need the grinder, sausage stuffer and pasta cutter. My favorite tool is the dough hook. For some reason, my hands kill yeast doughs, so it's the only way to make yeast breads for me. I also use it for pastry, noodle doughs, etc. just have to be careful or the stuff gets tough from overworking.

My KA has been through a lot and I always use it to knead dough. It doesn't get tired and gets the job done in half the time. It whips cream so fast you can't walk away or you end up with butter.

I'd like to add a meat grinder and sausage stuffer some day.

If it died today, I'd go right out and buy another.

My KA has been through a lot and I always use it to knead dough. It doesn't get tired and gets the job done in half the time. It whips cream so fast you can't walk away or you end up with butter.

A mixer that has gone where no other mixer has gone before...

Yeah, I always let the mixer do the kneading. I still know people who hand knead because they didn't realize that their KA could handle it.

What model do you have?

This, absolutely. My bread machine died, but my KA Pro 600 keeps me baking. :chef:

Thought I would find this thread so I could say nice things about Lucille.

This passed weekend Kathleen and some friends made pirogies, a lot of them, 271 of them. I was doing calculus.

They needed dough made and I had mentioned to Kathleen she could use her new hand mixer with the dough hooks (new KA one, the 7 speed spendy model). She said they were going to need more dough than that and at some point asked if I could take a break from calculus and mix them up dough.

I look at the recipe and it called for 4.5 cups of flour, which is a little light for Lucille but ok. Oh no, they wanted a triple recipe. She is rated at 14 cups and I put 13.5 in. Mixed it like a champ. I did start slow though, the bowl was pretty full, with the 6 cups of sour cream that the recipe calls for as well.

The next day it was just a double recipe and it almost seemed sad to have that little bit of flour in there. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom