Wireless meat thermometers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pengyou

Senior Cook
I have read about some of these and the ones I looked into all used fairly thick pieces of meat as examples. Are these useful when cooking thin cuts of meat...especially like fish, which is usually 1/2" thick...or how about cooking shrimp? irregular shaped things? using in sauces? breads or cakes?

They are typically used with large chunks of meat, such as roasts, very thick steaks and chops, whole chickens, whole turkeys, etc. They can also be used to determine the internal temperature of bread, or certain other pastries, stuffings/dressigs, anywhere you need to test the temperature because the food is thick enough that you can't visibly tell when the food item has reached a specific temperature.

so unless you have some three to four pound shrimp, or bacon that's been sliced 4 inches thick, I don't think you would use this kind of thermometer to determine teh final temperature.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North.

The time you wasted measuring the fish and shrimp temp, would be the amount of time you've over cooked them. Now they are suitable for the garbage. Take some time and learn to tell when your food is done. For thick cut roasts, chicken and turkey an instant read thermometer is fine, you don't need electronic gadgetry. Kills me that mindless cooking such as BBQ, needs to be even more mindless by all these electronic controls. A good pit master doesn't need all that tom foolery to get good results. They can tell by the feel and appearence of the meat if its ready or not. I'm surprised that competition BBQ allows the use of that equipment.:mad:

The time you wasted measuring the fish and shrimp temp, would be the amount of time you've over cooked them. Now they are suitable for the garbage. Take some time and learn to tell when your food is done. For thick cut roasts, chicken and turkey an instant read thermometer is fine, you don't need electronic gadgetry. Kills me that mindless cooking such as BBQ, needs to be even more mindless by all these electronic controls. A good pit master doesn't need all that tom foolery to get good results. They can tell by the feel and appearence of the meat if its ready or not. I'm surprised that competition BBQ allows the use of that equipment.:mad:

Yes, you can get along without the remote, broadcasting thermometer. But the pit masters you speak of get to put their entire effort into watching the food. Usually, I don't have that luxury. I might be cleaning in the house, or mowing the lawn, or helping with some project, or even tying a fishing fly or two. I might be doing something with my DW. The point is, I rarely have the time to watch something Q'ing over the fire. That's where the thermometer comes in. It signals me when the food is getting close to the desired temperature I want. And knowing the proper temperature to get that perfect result varies from one item to the next.

We don't really need automobiles either. But I sure do appreciate the fact that I don't have to walk for an hour + to get to work. And that running water in the house feature, I could live without it. I have on many a camp out. But I do appreciate flush toilets, and turning on the tap for a cold drink of well water.

Some gadgets are excessive. But others help us get more done, help to increase our efficiency. And for the average guy or gal with a need to barbecue, that broadcasting thermometer might just be the ticket.

Do I need that gadget to produce good, or even great food? Certainly not. I lived without it for many years, and produced some excellent meals. And in fact, I don't have one now, as I broke mine.

But before I broke it, it sure was a handy tool.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Yes, you can get along without the remote, broadcasting thermometer. But the pit masters you speak of get to put their entire effort into watching the food. Usually, I don't have that luxury. I might be cleaning in the house, or mowing the lawn, or helping with some project, or even tying a fishing fly or two. I might be doing something with my DW. The point is, I rarely have the time to watch something Q'ing over the fire. That's where the thermometer comes in. It signals me when the food is getting close to the desired temperature I want. And knowing the proper temperature to get that perfect result varies from one item to the next.

We don't really need automobiles either. But I sure do appreciate the fact that I don't have to walk for an hour + to get to work. And that running water in the house feature, I could live without it. I have on many a camp out. But I do appreciate flush toilets, and turning on the tap for a cold drink of well water.

Some gadgets are excessive. But others help us get more done, help to increase our efficiency. And for the average guy or gal with a need to barbecue, that broadcasting thermometer might just be the ticket.

Do I need that gadget to produce good, or even great food? Certainly not. I lived without it for many years, and produced some excellent meals. And in fact, I don't have one now, as I broke mine.

But before I broke it, it sure was a handy tool.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I do things as well when "Qing". The point being if you know your equipment, you'll have an idea of when things need to be done/checked. There is one thing I will not do and that is leave an untended pit to go somewhere. That is a fools errand. I'll stick to what has worked for me for 30+ years.;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom