Wok, use over a grill?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bacardi

Senior Cook
About five years ago, I bought a flat bottom wok and was extremely disappointed with electric stoves lack of output. I actually donated the wok and no longer have it.

Got the wok bug again, and I was thinking. My propane grill has high BTU output. Or for even more BTUs, one could use a chimney starter filled with hot coals...Obviously, one would have to be very careful...

Any thoughts? Any other high BTU ideas for the person who has an electric range?

You could try and balance the wok on top of the chimney starter BUT good wok cooking requires lot's of stirring, flipping and pounding of the sides. I would be afraid of the wok falling over. How about an electric wok? I saw several at our local second hand store just the other day. They were all priced below $5.00.

I have a burner that I use to boil beer on. I think it was designed for turkey frying. With 185,000 BTU output, I'm sure you'd have NO problem using a wok on it.

You can get induction hobs that are designed for woks. The higher efficiency of induction means you don't need so many BTUs as all the heat is in the wok not dispersed into the kitchen as with gas.

They aren't cheap though.

Truth, BUT I would hesitate to use any type of wok this way. Is yours carbon steel???

Yes, mine is carbon steel. I got the idea of using the turkey fryer burner from watching an episode of Good Eats. Have you seen the wok burners used in Chinese restaurants?

Yep, I saw that one, too. I don't think I would use a cheapo non-stick wok with a turkey fryer, tho.
You should never use a non-stick wok for real wok cooking anyway.

wok cooking=very high heat cooking
nonstick pans are never meant to be used with high heat.

An inexpensive wok can and should be used with very high heat though without any problems.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom