Anyone from NM recommend a good CookBook for NM Cooking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ncage1974

Senior Cook
I've thought what i wanted before was a southwestern style cookbook...but i was wrong. What i was really looking for is a New Mexican cookbook. I don't want a cookbook that steers from the traditional NM cooking to try to fancy things up and sell more cookbooks. Or a cookbook that requires $50+ worth of hard to find ingredients to make most of the recipes. Anyone who can steer me towards a good simple traditional NM style cookbook would be appreciated. I have been looking at the following cookbook but don't know how good it is:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0937552933/ref=s9_simh_gw_p14_d0_g14_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0PBWSD6HHTXJ9TS4X3C1&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

Any help would be appreciated...

Sad to say, I can't get a copy of your book Best of the Best from New Mexico Cookbook by Gwen McKee. I'd love to get a copy from my public library and give you my opinion but they have no copies. Apparently Best of the Best is a series and McKee has written other BOTB volumes on Illinois, Indiana, Texas and Mississippi.

I've had discussions on other Internet forums about New Mexican cuisine vs. Mexican cuisine in general, and discovered that few people agree with me that there's something distinctive, unique and very good about New Mexican cuisine as distinct from other regional Mexican cooking. I really like it and I'd like to discover a cookbook with lots of these kinds of recipes.

I have several of the BOTB cookbooks, including New Mexico. I like it and have made several recipes from it. It's a compilation of recipes from several different cookbooks. Most tend to be from local cookbooks. Things like fire station cookbooks, various fund raiser cookbooks, as well as more famous books. Be aware that all of these books also have every day recipes that you might find in nearly any cookbook, such as Betty Crocker. For example, there is a recipe for streusel filled coffee cake. But, I think it's still a good book to represent New Mexican cooking.

Another one, if you can find it, is called Savoring the Southwest. A cookbook and more from the land of enchantment (New Mexico). I don't know if the original book is still in print, but I believe there might be a version 2. Again, it has many New Mexican recipes, and more general recipes. This book is pretty neat in that it has lots of pictures from artists of the southwest, such as Henriette Wyeth. Another neat thing about this book is it has old clippings from various New Mexico newspapers. For example - From the Roswell Register, April 3, 1896; "Choice imported and domestic wines are to be obtained at the Legal Tender." This book is a fund raiser for the Roswell Symphony Guild.

Both are good examples of New Mexico cookbooks.

A Junior League or church cookbook from the area might be interesting. Although, Savoring the Southwest sounds like my kind of cookbook!

Thanks everyone for your replies. I ordered both books. Hopefully at least one of them is exactly what i was looking for.

I second the church, kiwanis or other local organizations cookbooks. I have 2 from out here at the end of the world LI. There is a recipe for "Clam Pie" that I am certain is not seen elsewhere in the US.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom