Anyone know any Sushi books?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gourmet Greg said:
I question what "everybody" would want, even if they knew it was an option, let alone that there could be any way to inform people. Do sushi chefs super-size their roll bite sizes because Americans want big bites, or do they super-size because they believe Americans want big bites?

Another complaint I have is that most sushi bars put too much rice in their rolls. I've never been to Japan so I don't have any idea what is traditional, but I often find way too much rice in my super-sized bite, and sometimes I poke it with a chopstick and knock out some rice before eating it. And, oh yeah, I add some extra wasabe. Maybe sushi chefs think Americans don't like spicy food too.

What are the economics of making them bigger? I doubt the additional nori costs much, and rice is dirt cheap, so you can make a bigger roll and pad it out with rice and get a really big serving size, while at the same time not using much more (expensive) filling, if any more at all.

I make my rolls smaller diameter and use a much thinner layer of rice.

I'm sure there are those out there that enjoy the large bites, but I'm gathering from the number of people saying they would prefer them to be smaller that it's the general consensus. Just saying :)

I mostly order sushi take-out at a Japanese restaurant or sushi bar, then take it home and eat it there. Alas, none of my friends are sushi lovers, although there's always the hope that a new friend will like it.

One thing that's really gross, supermarket sushi. I've watched sushi chefs in supermarkets making it and it's probably okay at the time they assembled it, but refrigeration IMO just ruins the rice. For supermarket sushi to have any chance for tasting right it has to be left on the counter until the rice achieves room temperature, and that raises the possibility of spoilage of the fish or other ingredients.

Maybe I'm wrong but I think sushi rice should be room temperature or nearly room temperature, but definitely NOT refrigerated. That's why I get mine take-out at a sushi bar, where at least it's custom prepared and not refrigerated.

Sushi rice should go from the rice cooker to sushi to stomach.

No stops allowed during transit

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom