Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PieSusan

Washing Up
The Discovery That Revolutionizes Home Baking
by Jeff Hertzberg and Zoe Francois.

With a 40% off border's coupon that I printed from my e-mail, this book cost me $18.07. (I saved $11.18)

I just couldn't resist it after seeing the website:

The book is lovely and I am very excited to try making bread from it. It seems like I will be able to have fresh bread whenever I want it. There are sweet and savory recipes, too.

I thought the bread was ok, but not even in the same league as NYT.

It is easier though.

Maybe I'll pull it off my shelf and make some sweet recipes.

What I like about the book is that if I have a question, I can go right to the site and they will answer any that I have. Never had that kind of support with any book I have ever purchased.

What I like about the book is that if I have a question, I can go right to the site and they will answer any that I have. Never had that kind of support with any book I have ever purchased.

FYI: Rose Levy Beranbaum and Sarah the baking911 lady both do the same thing and my girlfriend has befriended Shirley O Coriher and gets answers by email and phone. There are lots of nice folks out there.

FYI: Rose Levy Beranbaum and Sarah the baking911 lady both do the same thing and my girlfriend has befriended Shirley O Coriher and gets answers by email and phone. There are lots of nice folks out there.

I LOVE Sarah, I'm a member of her site -- very, very good information available there. I didn't know about Rose's site, thanks for the info. I wonder if Julia has one.... Off to check.
:)

I didn't have time to do the NYT long rise over the weekend, so I made the 5 Min a Day bread instead.

I still think it's not nearly as good as the NYT bread.

Much easier though.

5 min a day bread

Could...or would...someone post the bread recipe? Thanks

Perhaps the Artisan Bread in 5 minutes a day is best to use as a sweet dough--all the other additional ingredients should improve the taste.

which one ? NYT or 5 min a day ?

You make both don't you LC? If it's ot to much trouble and when you have some free time I'd like to give the 5 min a day a try and then later the other recipe...
Thanks
kadesma:)

You make both don't you LC? If it's ot to much trouble and when you have some free time I'd like to give the 5 min a day a try and then later the other recipe...
Thanks
kadesma:)

Yes I do make both . When I have room in the refrigerator for the bucket of dough for the 5 min a day bread , I prefer that one. Sometimes I make the NYT bread before I go to bed because that is to rise overnight on the counter, and shape it and bake it the next day.
Let me see if I can find the link for the recipe. Can't post the recipe directly since it is copyrighted.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMxJgIpe38Q

This is all DC will allow me to share from the book:

Boule (Artisan Free-Form Loaf)
Ingredients for 4 one pound loaves (it can be doubled or halved)

Ingredients:
3 cups lukewarm water
1-1/2 Tablespoons granulated yeast (1-1/2 packages)
1-1/2 Tablespoons kosher coarse salt
6-1/2 cups unsifted, unbleached, all-purpose flour (scoop and sweep)
cornmeal for peel to move bread onto bread stone.

Might I suggest you order it from your local library.

This is all DC will allow me to share from the book:

Boule (Artisan Free-Form Loaf)
Ingredients for 4 one pound loaves (it can be doubled or halved)

Ingredients:
3 cups lukewarm water
1-1/2 Tablespoons granulated yeast (1-1/2 packages)
1-1/2 Tablespoons kosher coarse salt
6-1/2 cups unsifted, unbleached, all-purpose flour (scoop and sweep)
cornmeal for peel to move bread onto bread stone.

Might I suggest you order it from your local library.

Also available on their website at http://www.artisanbreadinfive.com/?p=195http://www.artisanbreadinfive.com/?p=195

That is why I posted the recipe ingredients from the book, Kadesma. Also on their page, they have a long list of errata from the book that they correct for you. So, if you buy the book, go to the website and print out the corrections. See Errors : Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day

I cannot tell you how impressive this is that they posted corrections so that people would not have failures. They also have a new book in the works. I am so impressed by these two.

Back
Top Bottom