ATK Online Cooking School

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kitchengoddess8

Sous Chef
Has anyone tried America Test Kitchen's Online Cooking School? Since I'm a newbie cook, I'm considering it. I've been getting a lot of value out of my Cooks Illustrated web subscription.

I'm sure the America's Test Kitchen information is very detailed and informative, but I would start with the free videos available on UTube. Once you have seen a few of them the rest is just practice and you get a chance to practice three times a day while fixing meals at home. I would use the $20.00/month to buy some interesting ingredients or quality cooking equipment.

I'm constantly amazed at the quality and variety of information available on UTube.

Good luck!

I'm sure the America's Test Kitchen information is very detailed and informative, but I would start with the free videos available on UTube. Once you have seen a few of them the rest is just practice and you get a chance to practice three times a day while fixing meals at home. I would use the $20.00/month to buy some interesting ingredients or quality cooking equipment.

I'm constantly amazed at the quality and variety of information available on UTube.

Good luck!

Thanks! What are people's favorite YouTube channels with instructional cooking videos?

You have to be careful with youtube videos. Anyone can post a video. Not every video will be accurate in the information it provides. Always make sure the video is from a reliable source.

You have to be careful with youtube videos. Anyone can post a video. Not every video will be accurate in the information it provides. Always make sure the video is from a reliable source.

Thanks Andy. That's why I thought ATK would be reliable source for cooking education.

Good luck!

+1. Just exactly what I was thinking Bea.

KG I just went to youtube and there are more recipes from America's Test Kitchen than I can count, and they're free!
America's Test Kitchen recipes - YouTube

I like to watch a few videos for the same topic and look for the reoccuring information, techniques and ingredients. Then, I totally disregard them and do it my way....:LOL:

No, really, some can get pretty out there. Like I said before, I look for similarities in a few different videos, take what I find appealing and decide if that is the way I want to go.

kg, you can also sign up (for free) at both "America's Test Kitchen" and the sister show "Cook's Country". That gives you access to recipes and select videos from the current season. If you want to find things from previous seasons you either have to part with money or (my preferred approach) do some creative googling along with Youtube searching. Good luck!

There are some really great youtube channels, I watch them all the time. For baking, the Woodland bakery channel is good, her baking recipes aren't too complicated or intimidating. She had an old channel with great recipes, but the videos were chaos, her camera person was very annoying. She has broken away and the new channel is much improved! She's a professional baker and every recipe that I have made has been rock solid.

Food Wishes is also great for beginners. Chef John explains things in a humorous way and again his recipes aren't too fussy or complicated.

One of our very own members Powerplantop has a channel, look up James Strange, World of Flavor. He does lots of international dishes, leaning toward Asian.

kg, you can also sign up (for free) at both "America's Test Kitchen" and the sister show "Cook's Country". That gives you access to recipes and select videos from the current season. If you want to find things from previous seasons you either have to part with money or (my preferred approach) do some creative googling along with Youtube searching. Good luck!

I purchased the annual web subscription to Cooks Illustrated, so that might be enough. Sounds like it would be good to supplement it with youtube videos.

Back
Top Bottom