Bedside Cookbooks & Cooking Magazines

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BreezyCooking

Washing Up
Once my bedside table books & magazines reach the bottom edge of the lampshade, I try to take time to sort & regroup. Was wondering what cookbooks &/or cooking magazines you currently have for bedside reading.

Here's what I just pulled off of mine:

Cuisine at Home magazine, Feb. '06 issue
Saveur magazine, Dec. '05, Aug./Sept. '05, & March '06 issues
The Edible French Garden - gardening book with lots of recipes
The Edible Heirloom Garden - same as above
The Salad Garden - ditto
Saveur Cooks Authentic American
Saveur Cooks Authentic French
Saveur Cooks Authentic Italian
Eating Well magazine, April/May '06 issue
Better Homes and Gardens America's Ethnic Cuisines
The Complete Book of Japanese Cooking
The Book Lover's Cookbook - featuring recipes taken directly from or inspired by best-selling & classic literature, along with the text that inspired them.

I know that list makes it sound like I have a nightstand the size of the Library of Congress, but I can't help myself & just make do without such frivolities like clocks, etc., - lol!! Even the lamp is placed on top of a stack of books!!

I'm currently reading the 2006 Cooking Light cookbook. (I checked it out from the library on Tuesday, I think)
It's actually on the couch, I read it in front of the TV in the morning. If I read in bed I never go to sleep.

I don't have any favorites - just something I haven't looked at in a while and whatever new comes in the mail. Sometimes I have to move some to the floor when they get to high.

I like to read in bed too. It helps me wind down from the daily chaos. Right now, on the nightstand, is my novel Time Travelers Wife, The latest Cook's Illustrated & current Fine Cooking. I'm also reading How to Break an Egg Looking at the cover, it says "1,453 Kithchen Tips, Food Fixes, Emergency Substitutions & Handy Techniques." I have to say, I'm learning a lot from this book. How to save overwhipped cream and how to cut cake layers with dental floss are 2 tips that stand out.

a really nice cookbook is Chocolate - a Celebration of the World's Most Addictive Food by McFadden, Christine published by the hermes house. good information on the different varieties of chocolates across the globe, their origin, culivation, tastes with mouth watering pictures

Alford and Duguid's Home Baking, and Petersen's Sauces...these are big heavy books and help induce sleep and work off calories simultaneously. Also dang fine texts!

I enjoy going through cookbooks in gneral, but my favorites are the old one I inherited from my great-aunt and grandmother.

I have one from Baker's called Baker's Best Chocolate Recipes copyrighted 1932. It's fun to go through it. Something interesting in it: any of the recipes that call for baking powder have an asterisk beside them. The note regarding this states: "Calumet Baking Powder used. With other types of baking powders, use increased amounts as recommended by the manufacturers." I found out from somewhere that today, as long as one is using double acting baking powder, the same amount specified in the recipe is the correct amount.

I also have one called Betty Crocker's Good and Easy Cook Book, copyrighted 1954. There's some good old fashioned homecooking in this one. I don't use it too often, but one of hubby's favorte meals comes out of this book.

There are more that are still at my parents house that are so old they are wrapped in plastic (probably not the best idea) to keep them together. We go through them about once every ten years or so.

I read in bed a lot (a bit of an insomniac) and usually have the latest copies of Gourmet and Saveur on the bedside table in addition to whatever novel/bio I'm reading, a collection of shorter stories, and Smithsonian magazine.

Back
Top Bottom