Book Club - April 2121 - "Eight Flavors: The Untold Story of American Cuisine"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cooking Goddess? Taxlady? Would one of you like to choose the next book?
I'm still lobbying for Ruth Reichl's "My Kitchen Year". In fact, it might be nice to read soon, since Reichl's method of dealing with an upheaval in her life is so different that the way Mandy Lee did in "The Art of Escapism Cooking", which we recently read. A study in two different personalities, or generations, or whatever. Having read "My Kitchen Year" a few years ago, I wouldn't mind re-reading it, especially since I ended up getting my own copy through [URL="https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/my-kitchen-year-136-recipes-that-saved-my-life_ruth-reichl/9705572/all-editions/?resultid=fc5c599b-073f-4d09-874c-53069c4c768c"]Thriftbooks[/URL].

Or whatever other book tickles our fancies. Suit yourself, I'm easy. :mrgreen:

Well, I'm really way behind but trudging thru.

I enjoyed Black Pepper and Vanilla tremendously. Learned a lot. Would like to put some of those recipes on my to do list.

I've just finished Chili. I found it interesting the involvement to create Chili Powder but got a little bogged down with the history sidelines. Felt she could have shortened a lot.
Not really inspired to make any of the recipes. Chili is such an individual taste. It was only recently I discovered that most chili's in the States are made with chunks of meat rather than ground. I also grew up using red kidney beans and tomato.

Wondering how Curry will fare...

I'm still lobbying for Ruth Reichl's "My Kitchen Year". In fact, it might be nice to read soon, since Reichl's method of dealing with an upheaval in her life is so different that the way Mandy Lee did in "The Art of Escapism Cooking", which we recently read. A study in two different personalities, or generations, or whatever. Having read "My Kitchen Year" a few years ago, I wouldn't mind re-reading it, especially since I ended up getting my own copy through [URL="https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/my-kitchen-year-136-recipes-that-saved-my-life_ruth-reichl/9705572/all-editions/?resultid=fc5c599b-073f-4d09-874c-53069c4c768c"]Thriftbooks[/URL].

Or whatever other book tickles our fancies. Suit yourself, I'm easy. :mrgreen:
Like I said before, I think it works best when we take turns picking a book. Looks like this is the one! [emoji16]

So today, a day off from doing nothing, I struggled thru curry and soy sauce.

I'm thinking I don't mind reading about spices and flavours and how they got here but I'm really not interested in deep biographies like a lot of this is.

I will eventually finish the book but not immediately.

Although "My Kitchen Year" sounds like another soul-baring book, perhaps as a former Editor, she can infuse something that would keep me interested.

I'm always willing to give it a try!

Although "My Kitchen Year" sounds like another soul-baring book, perhaps as a former Editor, she can infuse something that would keep me interested.

I'm always willing to give it a try!
I think this book is a very different take on a sort of similar situation. Here's an excerpt from Amazon.
PhotoCollage_20210508_150155155~2.jpg

LOL, OK, thanks GG, as said - "always willing to give it a try."

There you go, CG, you've got my vote on "My Kitchen Year" anyone else into this one?

So... start a new thread?

It sounds good to me! Did we start the new thread? I'm a bit behind because I had a procedure on my eyes and cannot read much plus light still causes them to fatigue quickly. (Nothing serious, but is going to curb my computer time and reading for another week or so.)

Well! I finally finished!

Actually enjoyed the last chapters more than a couple of the previous. She kept the thread of the chapters a lot more in line.

When I saw that Sriracha was on the list I was thinking 'no, it is just a fad' and all the hype will soon disappear.

I see now that foods become popular because of a fad. Some hang around and some fade.

Even though tedious in some places - Glad I read it and yes, there are some recipes I will go back to and perhaps try.

I found Sriracha surprising. I love spicy things and I enjoy hot sauces, but I cannot seem to get into Sriracha. At some point, I am sure I will figure out some way to use it....or maybe it will "click" how to use it.

I go back to what Silversage said about Smoke. I remain really surprised that smoke was not one of the flavors.

Back
Top Bottom