Book Club May 2021 - "My Kitchen Year" by Ruth Reichl

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking Goddess

Chef Extraordinaire
I'm offering up to you my choice for our next book club read: My Kitchen Year.

Reichl was managing editor of "Gourmet" magazine for a decade. Called back from being on tour promoting their most recent cook book, Ruth was stunned to find out that Condé Naste was folding their premier food magazine - and that she (along with all of her fellow employees) was suddenly unemployed. "My Kitchen Year" covers the ensuing year of how she dealt with the shock of losing her job - and possibly her identity.

I've ordered a used copy of the book from Thrift Books, but it will probably be a week or so before I receive it. Looking forward to this one.

I've checked out Amazon - only a dollars' difference between Kindle and actual book! Hard decision? I'm limited in my space, having gone/going from 4 bookcases of cookbooks to one. (still not all unpacked - can't find them in storage :() But I really find a hard cover book much more comforting than a computer screen. decisions decisions....

Also have to admit that I read some of the reviews on the link CG provided, I guess I shouldn't have. I think I influenced/prejudiced myself into a negative.
That being said - I guess I now have to get the book just to be sure I try to make up my own mind.

I will say the majority love the book, most having known the author from previous works.

dragn, does a Kindle version show the photos? There are some nice ones in the book. It might be something you can consider when making your decision.

Good question! Never considered that. Most other books I've gotten usually show the pictures - at least that I'm aware of!

One of my rules when buying a cookbook. It must have sufficient pictures to entice me!

dragn, does a Kindle version show the photos? There are some nice ones in the book. It might be something you can consider when making your decision.

The Kindle version does have the photos, although mine are in black and white since I have a Kindle Paperwhite. They would most likely be in color in a different model.

Good question! Never considered that. Most other books I've gotten usually show the pictures - at least that I'm aware of!

One of my rules when buying a cookbook. It must have sufficient pictures to entice me!
The Kindle version does have the photos, although mine are in black and white since I have a Kindle Paperwhite. They would most likely be in color in a different model.
I just downloaded a sample of the book from Amazon. It does have pictures in color.

I am the world's biggest procrastinator!
I jump from fence post to fence post on opposite sides of the field!
Why can I not ever make up my mind?
I actually hate going to restaurants because I have to decide which plate I want!

Hard cover 2$ cheaper (with free delivery) than the Kindle version.
Kindle takes less space.
Don't like following recipes on a screen.

Arghhh... I'm a lost soul/whimp/woosie -

Would someone just yell at me and tell me to jump into the damn pond and PICK ONE!

...Would someone just yell at me and tell me to jump into the damn pond and PICK ONE!
GET THE DANGED PAPER BOOK, dragn! Get. The. Book. :mrgreen:

You just know that if you get the Kindle version you will regret it the first time you have an issue with your tablet while cooking. You know you'll look at that screen and wish you had a real book. The only time you'll regret having a hard copy is when you have to cram it into its too-narrow spot in the bookcase.

Trust me.

OK, feel better?

I am the world's biggest procrastinator!
Would someone just yell at me and tell me to jump into the damn pond and PICK ONE!

BUY THE HARD COPY! [emoji16] Chances are you will only want to keep a limited number of the recipes; you can photocopy those. When you're finished with it, donate it to the local library.

Last edited:
My Amazon account tells me I bought this book on Jan 30, 2017.

Apparently, I put it on a shelf and never read it. Maybe this will be the push I need.

Just received my copy today! I'm going to sit back on the porch with Stryder and look through it while I wait for DH to finish his golf game and bring home pizza. 20210514_195217.jpg

book order, long story

So after (20 min that felt like 45) looking thru all the pages available for trouble shooting on Amazon, finally contacted a LIVE person.

Question #1
An order I had placed never arrived. Investigating I found I had received a refund for it. Wha?... when did that happen. And yes, I did receive a refund. But why was the order stopped/returned? Human could not give me an answer.
To re-order cost several $ more, got a credit and re-ordered - saved a $. :rolleyes:

Question #2
I placed an order May 11 and yes, I know, was only 3 days ago, BUT I have not received a shipping date yet. Normally receive a date within a day of placing order, usually with shipping date and 'estimated' delivery date. Research shows "We do not have a shipping date as of yet".
Human says it shows her that it will "be shipping soon".

Me: "Define 'soon' please. Is that one week, one month?"
Human: "Oh no! not a month but... 'soon'."

LOL yup OK. and that is the situation for my book Kitchen Year.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom