Bread book?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ncage1974

Senior Cook
Ok guys i have dabbled with cooking bread and done a pretty good job. I have done everything from sour dough (yes i made my own starter). All my bread is pretty dang good but there is one thing im really missing (artesian). I can make some that looks like ciabatta but its nothing like it on the interior. No big air pockets and not the same texture. My bread seems to have a spongy interior which is good when thats what you want. Also my bread seems to be a little heavy/dense if you know what i mean. So if you go to try to use it for a sub sandwich it is a little much. If that makes any sense at all. Could someone recommend a really good book that would lead me in the right direction.

thanks,
ncage

The Bread Baker's Apprentice!

The Bread Baker's Apprentice by Peter Reinhart is by far the best bread book you can obtain! This book is without equal when it comes to method, science, and instruction. You'll never be sorry, I promise! The ciabatta recipe comes out every time, exactly as you expect it should. The french and italian breads, too!
Check it out and let me know what you think.

Those books are excellent, and so are "The Bread Bible," by Rose Levy Beranbaum, and "Breads from Betsy's Kitchen," by Betsy Oppenneer. :) All of them will give you the how's and why's as well as great recipes!

Peter Rienhart rules

a 2nd vote for The Bread Baker's Apprentice by Peter Reinhart - it is an incredible book for the serious bread baker...

I've read and tried some recipes from "The Bread Bible," by Rose Levy Beranbaum. Frankly, I don't think much of this book.

Peter Rienhart rules

2nd choice for artisan bread book - "The Italian Baker" by Carol Field

"The Bread Book" by Linda Collister & Anthony Blake published by Conran Octopus Limited is a step by step guide to making over 130 delicious breads. It's in hardcover and has nice photos accompanying each recipe. I have tried some of the recipes and they seemed pretty good.

I've heard some really good thngs about The Bread Baker's Apprentice but I don't own a copy. However I do have a copy of The Bread Bible: Beth Hensperger's 300 Favorite Recipes. My daughter and I have both baked several recipes from that one always with success.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom