Cookbook classics and must-haves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Everything from the last 13 years?????????? Shoot, thats a fantastic deal!!!!!!

Are you sure it has ALL the last 13 years of recipes? Every single one? If so I'll find it difficult to resist buying it.

IMO ATK has had the consistently best recipes of any TV cooking series. I've never had a bum recipe from ATK.

ATK advertises that it has all the recipes, etc. Truth in Advertising must come into play there. :angel:

Well what the heck, I just ordered it on Amazon Prime, about $34 including tax. They warned it may take 1-2 extra days (probably due to product demand) but they said I'll have my copy by Friday. (Not sure if the non-PBS version comes with the DVD... Not that I really care.)

You will enjoy it. I agree that ATK has never failed me except on one thing. You can't make southern cornbread with flour. :) Of course, that is a southern's opinion.

Hal

You will enjoy it. I agree that ATK has never failed me except on one thing. You can't make southern cornbread with flour. :) Of course, that is a southern's opinion.

Hal

I have my own cornbread recipe that far surpasses any cornbread I've ever had. Maybe you can Googe "spoonbread" and find my own recipe. Nope, I'm worse than 20 rank. I need to provide a picture to get into the top 10. You can find my recipe if you add my name to your search criteria. :)

Amazon shipped my order and said it will be here Friday. I wonder how that interacts with my Prime "guaranteed 2 day delivery." Oh well, it's not like I was going to cook anything from it in the next 2 days......

Last edited:
I got my copy of the new ATK book today, and I was impressed. If nothing else I can keep it near my front door, and if anybody ever barges in I can smack them up the side of their head and knock them out. The cover says every recipe from 2001 to 2013 (including all the present season). I surely wouldn't pick an argument with them.

Even though I've just thumbed a few pages I'm thrilled with my new cookbook and glad I ot it.

By the way, Amazon got it here within two days of my placing my order, proving again that they honor their Prime agreement. That's why all the free shipping takes a week. All in all I'm pleased by paying to join their Prime membership, and I haven't even used their video streaming yet.

I got my copy of the new ATK book today, and I was impressed. If nothing else I can keep it near my front door, and if anybody ever barges in I can smack them up the side of their head and knock them out. The cover says every recipe from 2001 to 2013 (including all the present season). I surely wouldn't pick an argument with them.

Even though I've just thumbed a few pages I'm thrilled with my new cookbook and glad I ot it.

By the way, Amazon got it here within two days of my placing my order, proving again that they honor their Prime agreement. That's why all the free shipping takes a week. All in all I'm pleased by paying to join their Prime membership, and I haven't even used their video streaming yet.

This is my first year with Prime and I really like it! I do use their streaming on occasion.

I'm sure I'll use their streaming soon.

In the mean time it's worth the premium if you buy from them often, and I often find things I want on their site that I can get PDQ (2 days), enough so that I'm pleased I joined the service.

Looking forward to trying their streaming.

This is my first year with Prime and I really like it! I do use their streaming on occasion.

Does the Prime streaming use up bandwidth? I get a very limited amount of Gbs through Verizon, and once it's gone I have to pay overage charges.

I found the version of The Joy Of Cooking of 1961 from a yard sale. I received it for only one dollar.
I love this cookbook! I have made some of the meals from this, and DA likes those well.

~Cat

I have only 4 cookbooks. One is the Betty Crocker cookbook, The Better Homes and Gardens cookbook and one called American Heritage that is full of old recipes from American History. The 4th is from my grandmother. It is a wee tiny little cookbook from 1907. The recipes are fun to read.

I found the version of The Joy Of Cooking of 1961 from a yard sale. I received it for only one dollar.
I love this cookbook! I have made some of the meals from this, and DA likes those well.

~Cat

You got a good deal! (I have a few different editions of JOC).

~Cat

For many the Joy of Cooking is considered the Cooking Bible every cook should have.

When I got married in 1957, my husband had a copy of the original published one. (JOC) My son now has it. Fortunately he is smart enough to know the value of it. :angel:

When considering Joy of Cooking remember that it preceded the Internet by decades, in fact I think the first edition came out several decades before the Internet became popular. In the '80s JOC was my bible, and even in my technical occupation I didn't discover the Internet until the early '90s, and back then there was little if anything on the Internet related to cooking or recipes.

When considering Joy of Cooking remember that it preceded the Internet by decades, in fact I think the first edition came out several decades before the Internet became popular. In the '80s JOC was my bible, and even in my technical occupation I didn't discover the Internet until the early '90s, and back then there was little if anything on the Internet related to cooking or recipes.

Greg, I got married in 1956 and my husband who was a pro chef had a copy of the original JOC. Today my son has it. But even then it was considered the Bible of cooking just before Julia's "The Art of French Cooking." The JOC was written for the average housewife, whereas the AFC had sometime two full pages of directions for one simple step. The JOC had the same instructions, but in simpler terms and one paragraph. :angel:

I've just ordered a couple of English classics, one traditional - Dorothy Hartley, Food In England (1954) - and one new, Fergus Henderson, Nose to Tail. There's a lot more to traditional English cookery than just fish and chips or boiled beef and carrots!

Here are a few of my must have an go to cookbooks.

America's Test Kitchen - The Complete America's Test Kitchen TV Show Cookbook, 2001-2013

Rachael Ray - My Year in Meals

Cooking Light Italian

Rachael Ray - 30 Minute Meals

Back
Top Bottom