Cookbooks, do you use them?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm a cookbook reader too! I buy cookbooks pretty often and I have a lot of them. I'm just starting on 'Bakewise'...

I have about 5 main cookbooks that I like to refer to and about 100 more that I have but rarely use. My favorite so far is Silver Palate cookbook. Its an older book, but the recipes are great.

We have about a dozen or so, but I only use two of them regularly. Joy of Cooking and How to Cook Everything are my favorites. I like to get two or three recipes from the books and the internet, then add my own touches to a recipe...

I used to buy cook books but now I've just endlessly surfing the net for new and interesting recipes that I actually try on at home. My husband and kids love to eat and they are always excited for my new found recipes :)

I have about 40 or 50. I cannot pass a bookstore without looking through the clearance bins to see if there is anything interesting. I usually will follow a recipe to the letter the first time, and then make adjustments after that. I tend to follow recipes more for baking than anything else.

My favorite so far is Silver Palate cookbook. Its an older book, but the recipes are great.

Really? I have that cookbook, but I can't say that I've ever made anything from it. What are some of your favorite recipes from the Silver Palate, if you don't mind me asking?

I think I stopped counting cookbooks when I hit 200 :) I refer to books fairly often, but I can't say I usually slavishly follow the recipes. They're written to appeal to a broad range of tastes, so I don't feel bad about altering them to my family's specific needs and tastes.

I love cookbooks. I probably have about 40-50 but use a handful of them religiously. Creating a Stir is my favorite (regional) and I've never tried a recipe in it I didn't like.
My husband has a good assortment of meat cookbooks. For Christmas he got "The River Cottage Meat Book". Haven't tried anything out of it yet but the recipes look very good.

I have somewhere between 200 to 300 cookbooks. My favorite 100 are with me, the rest are in storage. I have bought several duplicates because I found I needed some of the ones in storage!

I read them like novels, and when I come across a good idea I remember it for the next time I am cooking. I use recipes a lot more for baking than cooking.

I use my cookbooks......they are a crutch...........I still have a recipe from my grandmother's that calls for soured milk........I subbed buttermilk and it is one of my favorites to use,,,,,,,moist and delicious..........

Cook books

With all the assortment and numbers of cook books and recipes on the "NET" I can not see any reason to purchase one!
I do have one that I revert to occasionally. The Better Homes and Garden about 1970 edition..

Charlie

Last edited:
the more you cook the more that you can decipher what is going to be a good recipe or not for your family and how you can improve it........and believe me most cooks will "improve" on a recipe as it's a "challenge".........just because it's been in print doesn't mean it's going to be good or to your liking.......but you need to try anyway and learn from the licks of life...........:)

I have over 200 cookbooks but since I rely on my computer more and more, I don't feel the need to keep purchasing cookbooks. But I have some great out of print cookbooks (such as Marcia Adams Cooking from Quilt Country, etc).

And I still have the very first cookbook I ever received, the Betty Crocker cookbook. Got it for my 12th birthday and I still use it!

I probably have a couple hundred. I periodically go through them and donate the ones I haven't used in a while to the library. Then I can buy more. I get quite a few cooking magazines and have binders full of recipes I want to try. I keep adding to those. I haven't found the internet to be that reliable a source of recipes. There are some good sites, like the Food Network, Cooking Light, and the Simply Recipes blog (along with dozens of others, I'm sure) that are really reliable, but I've pulled some really bad recipes off the internet, and am very cautious now. I'm another one, like someone previously said, who seldom cooks the same thing twice, except for occasionally revisiting a favorite comfort food.

I probably have a couple hundred. I periodically go through them and donate the ones I haven't used in a while to the library. Then I can buy more. I get quite a few cooking magazines and have binders full of recipes I want to try. I keep adding to those. I haven't found the internet to be that reliable a source of recipes. There are some good sites, like the Food Network, Cooking Light, and the Simply Recipes blog (along with dozens of others, I'm sure) that are really reliable, but I've pulled some really bad recipes off the internet, and am very cautious now. I'm another one, like someone previously said, who seldom cooks the same thing twice, except for occasionally revisiting a favorite comfort food.

I do the same thing. There are some cookbooks that I have that I just have never used (example, Friends Cook Book from the TV Show Friends). Some books I really want to use as they look really neat but know my family would never eat anything like that. I really like the ones with the pitures in them too. I also love the mini books at the checkout lines.

to be frank, i love cook books to read, but wont have enough time to work on that, but still the reading knowledge helps me to invent new recipes from my side, By the i also write cook books....ha ha, seems to little bit wired na...

I buy them all the time and probably have 1,000+. And, yes, I use them...all the time. We rarely eat the same thing twice, except for twice a year when I take a month and prepare all our favorites for the month. Love our cookbooks.
What Katie said, except the part about the months of favorites.

I think i have about two cookbooks - i rip recipes out of magazines and rarely actually 'read' them. tend to glance at it, get the basic idea of what's in it and improvise *ducks*
Hasn't come to bite me too hard yet ;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom