Cooking for dummies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dispute

Assistant Cook
Hi Everyone,

I am both new to this forum and new to cooking but a have a real keen passion to get in there and learn as much as possible.

I am just wondering if their is any good books out their that teach you the basics like how to saute', proper cutting techniques, blanching and so forth. Appologies if I am not making sense. It's hard to express exactly what I am looking for.

Hope someone can help. Cheers :)

I'm surprised no one has answered you yet....welcome to the forum!

I'm not an expert, but I have heard the following books recommended:

La Technique - Jacques Pepin
Essentials of Cooking - James Peterson
The Best Recipe - Cook's Illustrated

I personally like anything published by Cook's Illustrated. They test recipes, say for fried chicken, and come up with the best recipe. yes, it is their version of best, but so far, I have always liked the end result. What I like about them, is they tell you why something worked, and why something didn't work prior to giving you the recipe. They also have a website and a magazine that give cooking pointers.

KathyJ said:
Cook's Illustrated

My brother gave me a years subscription to bon apetit and I got my MIL a years subscription to Rachel Ray. As much as they are good and enjoyable, after a year I personally wouldn't want to re-order.

This Cook's Illustrated one looks very interesting. I'm looking at there site now. thanks!

dispute said:
Hi Everyone,

I am both new to this forum and new to cooking but a have a real keen passion to get in there and learn as much as possible.

I am just wondering if their is any good books out their that teach you the basics like how to saute', proper cutting techniques, blanching and so forth. Appologies if I am not making sense. It's hard to express exactly what I am looking for.

Hope someone can help. Cheers :)
Hi, dispute. Welcome to DC.

One magazine that you might find extremely helpful is Cuisine at home. It has delicious recipes, great photographs and their explanations and "tutorials" are excellent for the beginner and advanced cook. I think it might be a good choice for someone like you. Here's a link to them: Cuisine at home.

You might also want to look into Kraft Food & Family magazine, which can be found by simply Googling the title.

I wish you success in your cooking endeavors.

I recommend Joy of Cooking. It's about $30 in the bookstores, but if you look on eBay, you may find a bargain. Just watch the shipping charges.

Welcome to DC, if and when you ever need help with a recipe or a how to - just ask! So many helpful and experienced cooks and chef's on here ! Enjoy !

dispute said:
I am just wondering if their is any good books out their that teach you the basics like how to saute', proper cutting techniques, blanching and so forth.

I think you'd be better off with a video or videos to learn these techniques, or ascertain the availability of classes at local kitchen stores, or even the community college. It is much more adventageous to have these methods demonstrated, rather than described.

If you Google COOKING VIDEOS, you just might find something interesting, too.

Last edited:
Some of the cookbooks we have give instructional info similar to what you may be asking but I don’t know if they are still published. The McCall’s Cookbook is one and the Betty Crocker cookbook is another but I know that some of the recipes from the old edition do not appear in the more recent versions so I’m not sure if the “How to” section has changed. You may want to go to a local bookstore and browse.

“Professional Cooking” by Wayne Gisslen is a text book I had in college and I continue to consult this book all the time. It will have all you want to know and then some. Step by step guides and many illustrations are printed in every chapter.

Did you know that there's actually a "Cooking For Dummies" book? Part of huge yellow & black softcover "Dummies" series. Here's a link to it on Amazon. There's also a bunch of more specialized "Cooking For Dummies" books - i.e. "Chinese Cooking For Dummies", "Gourmet Cooking For Dummies", "Cast-Iron Cooking For Dummies", etc., etc. While I don't have any of these titles, I do have a few of the "dummy" books on non-cooking topics, & for the most part they're well-written, easy to follow, & informative without being preachy.

http://www.amazon.com/Cooking-Dummies-Bryan-Miller/dp/0764552503

I just finished reviewing The Taste of Home Cookbook and was very, very impressed with it. So much so, that when I choose to give a new bride a cookbook as a wedding gift, this is the one I'll purchase.

It is thorough, thorough, thorough. It is well organized, offers one of the widest ranges of recipe/food sections I've seen in a long time, and the photographs were outstanding. If you are looking for a universal-type cookbook, I would suggest this one.

Before you buy any cookbooks, I recommend going to a bookstore to thumb through them to see which would be the best fit for you.

Yes - that's terrific advice KatieE. Browsing in bookstores of all kinds is one of my (& my husband's) favorite hobbies.

My criteria for purchasing cookbooks - used or new - is that if I flick thru them & can find at least 6 recipes that make me want to try them, the book is mine - lol!!!

Thanks a lot guys "LOL". I've been wanting to order a nice magazine and I'm now trying to look up reviews between cuisine at home and cooks illustrated. They look like magazines I'd like. I ended up ordering a free trial of each to check them out.
I should really only choose one subscription to purchase for the year though.
should is the word...........:LOL:

I know this is a belated post but I just saw this topic today. Honestly, there isn't a book that can teach you as well as watching someone do it. I am just like you in this respect, I don't learn from performing a recipe. I need to know why I'm performing it a certain way.

I agree with the poster listing Cook's Illustrated. There are a lot of information and science why they perform a particular technique and add a certain ingredient to their dish of topic. Maybe you can read their mags and watch their show on PBS Saturdays. Their website, TV shows, and mags are pretty good. I also think the Fine Cooking magazine is a great read, with pictures of techniques, when it comes to making you a better cook. By the time I finish one of the issues, I'll know how to make a great dish and why it is so great. My spanish omelette from Fine Cooking is the reason why I make it better than the top hotel in Madrid (according to my gourmet husband). Check out their website but I think the magazines are a great collection to have.

Magazines aside, I learned some techniques using various books but I can't pinpoint a single book that has really helped me. From the books I've thumbed through, Le Cordon Bleu and Anne Willan seem to be good teachers.

For learning through television, I hate to admit that I learned a lot from watching Emeril. Yes, he can be a pain with all of his "bams" and the humming he does to his food but he is a great instructor and tells you the whats and whys while he is cooking. I feel like I'm in class when I watch him. Tyler Florence is another good instructor on the FN. If you have a chance, Jacques Pepin is awesome for French cuisine techniques. Between him and Le Cordon Bleu, you can be a force to be reckoned with.

KathyJ said:
I'm surprised no one has answered you yet....welcome to the forum!

I'm not an expert, but I have heard the following books recommended:

La Technique - Jacques Pepin
Essentials of Cooking - James Peterson
The Best Recipe - Cook's Illustrated

I second the nomination of Essentials of Cooking by James Peterson. This book has shown me how to do many new things in the kitchen. Also, my first cookbook was the Good Housekeeping Illustrated cookbook. I would recommend that also.

the larder chef by mario jack leto is a brilliant book and i refer to it alot. it has all the basic cookery processes and many of the more complicated ones too!

I agree that books are good references but nothing beats getting your hands dirty cooking. You might look around where you live for adult education classes. My city's Parks and Recreation department has some beginner cooking classes. Many schools no longer offer Home Economics which is where I learned a lot about cooking. That and helping my mom and grandma cook were the basis of my learning. Now I can look at a book but most techniques I've at least watched someone else do it first. I do have a Better Homes and Gardens cookbook that teaches techniques with pictures and follows each technique with lots of recipes that use that skill. I received it as a wedding gift 25 years ago so don't know if it is still available or not. I have used it some for the substitutions listed in the back. You know the kind that says if you don't have this, use this instead.

Back
Top Bottom